M. Anne Pitcher
Faculty Associate, CPS
Professor, LSA DAAS
Professor, LSA Political Science
Anne Pitcher studies the comparative politics of developing countries, especially those in Africa. Her research has explored the political economy of colonialism in Lusophone Africa; the creation of credible commitments to economic reform and the politics of private sector development across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- RIDIR: The Sub-National Data Archive System for Social and Behavioral Data. (Kenneth W. Kollman, Nahomi Ichino, Brian K. Min, Mai Hassan, Kevin Michael Quinn, M. Anne Pitcher, Robert J. Franzese Jr., Allen D. Hicken, Yuri Zhukov, Walter R. Mebane Jr., Yuki Shiraito, Christopher Jennings Fariss) 2019-2021. NSF.
- Local Patterns of Election Related Violence and Peace. (M. Anne Pitcher) 2018-2020. Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Croese, Sylvia, and M. Anne Pitcher. 2019. "Ordering power? The politics of state-led housing delivery under authoritarianism - the case of Luanda, Angola." Urban Studies 56(2): 401-418.
- Pitcher, M. Anne. Forthcoming. "Political Parties and Political Economy in Africa's Democracies, 1990-2018." Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics
- Pitcher, M. Anne. 2018. "The ASA at 60: Advocacy in an Age of Tyranny." African Studies Review 61(3): 8-26.
- Pitcher, M. Anne. 2018. "Entrepreneurial Governance and the Expansion of Public Investment Funds in Africa." in Africa in World Politics, edited by John W Harbeson, Donald Ro. Taylor & Francis Group.
- Pitcher, M. Anne, and Manuel P. Teodoro. 2018. "The Bureaucracy." in Institutions and Democracy in Africa: How the Rules of the Game Shape Political Developments, edited by Cheeseman, Nic. Cambridge University Press.
- Pitcher, M. Anne. 2017. "Varieties of Residential Capitalism in Africa: Urban Housing Provision." African Affairs 116(464): 365-390.
- Pitcher, M. Anne. 2017. "Party System Competition and Private Sector Development in Africa." Journal of Development Studies 53(1): 1-17.
- Teodoro, Manuel P., and M. Anne Pitcher. 2017. "Contingent technocracy: bureaucratic independence in developing countries." Journal of Public Policy 37(4): 401-429.
- Pitcher, M. Anne. 2013. "Governing Africa's Changing Societies: Dynamics of Reform." Perspectives on Politics 11(2): 679-681.