Faculty Associate, CPS
Director Academic Program, LSA II: Weiser Emerging Democr
Professor, LSA Political Science
Dr. Slater specializes in the politics and history of enduring dictatorships and emerging democracies, with a regional focus on Southeast Asia.
- Eibl, Max Ferdinand, Steffen Hertog, and Dan Slater. Forthcoming. "War makes the regime: regional rebellions and political militarization worldwide." British Journal of Political Science
- Slater, Dan. 2019. "Conclusion: Democratising Singapore's Developmental State." Pp. 305-319 in The Limits of Authoritarian Governance in Singapore's Developmental State, edited by Rahim, Lily Zubaidah, Barr, Michael D. Singapore: Springer.
- Arugay, Aries A., and Dan Slater. 2019. "Polarization Without Poles: Machiavellian Conflicts and the Philippines' Lost Decade of Democracy, 2000-2010." The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 681(1): 122-136.
- Slater, Dan. Forthcoming. "Violent Origins of Authoritarian Variation: Rebellion Type and Regime Type in Cold War Southeast Asia." Government and Opposition
- Slater, Dan, and Joseph Wong. 2018. "Game for Democracy." in Life after Dictatorship: Authoritarian Successor Parties Worldwide, edited by Loxton, James, Mainwaring, Scott. Cambridge University Press.
- Grzymala-Busse, Anna, and Dan Slater. 2018. "Making Godly Nations: Church-State Pathways in Poland and the Philippines." Comparative Politics 50(4): 545-564.
- Simpser, Alberto, Dan Slater, and Jason Wittenberg. 2018. "Dead But Not Gone: Contemporary Legacies of Communism, Imperialism, and Authoritarianism." Annual Review of Political Science 21(1): 419-439.
- Albertus, Michael, Sofia Fenner, and Dan Slater. 2018. "Coercive Distribution." Cambridge University Press.
- Slater, Dan. 2018. "Party Cartelization, Indonesian-Style: Presidential Power-Sharing and the Contingency of Democratic Opposition." Journal of East Asian Studies 18(1): 23-46.
- Slater, Dan, and Aries A. Arugay. 2018. "Polarizing Figures: Executive Power and Institutional Conflict in Asian Democracies." American Behavioral Scientist 62(1): 92-106.
- Slater, Dan, and Nicholas Rush Smith. 2016. "The Power of Counterrevolution: Elitist Origins of Political Order in Postcolonial Asia and Africa." American Journal of Sociology 121(5): 1472-1516.
- Slater, Dan. 2015. "Democratic Disarticulation and its Dangers: Cleavage Formation and Promiscuous Power-Sharing in Indonesian Party Politics." in Building Blocs: How Parties Organize Society, edited by Leon, Cedric de, Desai, Manali, Tuğal, Cihan. Stanford University Press.
- Slater, Dan, and Diana Kim. 2015. "Standoffish States: Nonliterate Leviathans in Southeast Asia." TRaNS: Trans-Regional and -National Studies of Southeast Asia 3(1): 25-44.
- Slater, Dan. 2014. "The Elements of Surprise: Assessing Burma's Double-Edged détente." South East Asia Research 22(2): 171-182.
- Slater, Dan, Benjamin Smith, and Gautam Nair. 2014. "Economic Origins of Democratic Breakdown? The Redistributive Model and the Postcolonial State." Perspectives on Politics 12(2): 353-374.
- Slater, Dan, and Erica Simmons. 2013. "Coping by Colluding: Political Uncertainty and Promiscuous Powersharing in Indonesia and Bolivia." Comparative Political Studies 46(11): 1366-1393.