Lindsay H. Ryan
Associate Research Scientist, SRC-HRS
Lindsay Ryan is an Assistant Research Scientist at the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. She received her Ph.D. in 2008 from the Pennsylvania State University in Human Development and Family Studies. Dr. Ryan is an investigator on several ongoing research projects, all of which involve an interest in better measuring and understanding the processes by which adults change over the life course. Her research interests include investigating individual and contextual influences on well-being, physical health, and cognition across adulthood, with a particular focus on the impact of social relations.
- Michigan Center for Contextual Factors in Alzheimer's Disease (MCCFAD). (Kristine J. Ajrouch, Kenneth M. Langa, Jacqui Smith, Carol Catherine Persad, Noah J. Webster, Carlos F. Mendes de Leon, Vicki A. Freedman, Laura Beth Zahodne, Barbara Anne Israel, David R. Weir, Henry Paulson, John Bound, Scott Roberts, Kira S. Birditt, Helen G. Levy, Toni C. Antonucci, Robert F. Schoeni, HwaJung Choi, Bruno J. Giordani, Roger L. Albin, Richard D. Gonzalez, Amy Jo Schulz, James S. Jackson, Neil Burton Alexander, Belinda L. Needham, Briana M. Ratliff) 2018-2023. NIA.
- Health and Retirement Study (HRS) Neuroimaging Pilot Study. (Kenneth M. Langa, David R. Weir, Lindsay H. Ryan, Robert A. Koeppe, Benjamin Hampstead, Judith L. Heidebrink) 2018-2020.
- HRS Yrs 29-34. (David R. Weir, Kenneth M. Langa, Mary B. Ofstedal, Joelle Hillary Abramowitz, Charles C. Brown, Helen G. Levy, Mick P. Couper, Chichun Fang, Jessica D. Faul, Steven G. Heeringa, Sharon R. Kardia, Sunghee Lee, Lindsay H. Ryan, Jacqui Smith, Jennifer A. Smith, Amanda J. Sonnega, Erin B. Ware, Robert J. Willis, Gabor Kezdi) 2018-2023.
- HRS Yrs 29-34 HCAP. (Kenneth M. Langa, David R. Weir, Lindsay H. Ryan, Deborah Levine, Bruno J. Giordani, Steven G. Heeringa, Jessica D. Faul) 2018-2023. National Institute on Aging.
- Integrating Information about Aging Surveys. (Jacqui Smith, Lindsay H. Ryan) 2017-2018. NIA.
- Boomers, Entrepreneurship, and Retirement 2030. (Felichism W. Kabo, Philippa J. Clarke, Toni C. Antonucci, Jessica D. Faul, Lindsay H. Ryan) 2015-2018. Kauffman, Ewing Marion, Foundation.
- Health and Retirement Study Yrs 23-28. (David R. Weir, Kenneth M. Langa, Mary B. Ofstedal, Charles C. Brown, Sharon R. Kardia, Helen G. Levy, Jacqui Smith, Robert J. Willis, Jessica D. Faul, Steven G. Heeringa, John Bound, Mick P. Couper, Sunghee Lee, Richard L. Valliant, Amanda J. Sonnega, Chichun Fang, Lindsay H. Ryan, Brooke Helppie-McFall, Bruno J. Giordani, Lauren L. Schmitz, Jennifer A. Smith, Joelle Hillary Abramowitz, Colter M. Mitchell) 2012-2017. NIA.
- Survey Measures of Subjective Well-being: Age, Appraisal, and Cognition Effects. (Jacqui Smith, Lindsay H. Ryan, Richard D. Gonzalez) 2011-2018. NIA.
- Ng, Linda S., Lindsay H. Ryan, Jack M. Guralnik, Cora Man, Carolyn DiGuiseppi, David Strogatz, David W. Eby, Lisa J. Molnar, et al. Forthcoming. "Association of Physical Function With Driving Space and Crashes Among Older Adults." The Gerontologist
- Zanier, Nicole, Raymond Yung, Jacqui Smith, Lindsay H. Ryan, Lisa J. Molnar, David W. Eby, Lidia P. Kostyniuk, Jennifer S. Zakrajsek, et al. 2019. "Improving Safe Mobility: An Assessment of Vehicles and Technologies among a Large Cohort of Older Drivers." Occupational Therapy In Health Care 33(1): 1-21.
- Eby, D. W., Raymond Yung, Jacqui Smith, Lindsay H. Ryan, L. J. Molnar, J. S. Zakrajsek, N. Zanier, R. M. S. Louis, et al. 2018. "Prevalence, attitudes, and knowledge of in-vehicle technologies and vehicle adaptations among older drivers." Accident; Analysis and Prevention 113: 54-62.
- Eby, David A., Raymond Yung, Jacqui Smith, Lindsay H. Ryan, Lisa J. Molnar, Lidia P. Kostyniuk, Jennifer S. Zakrajsek, Nicole Zanier, et al. 2018. "The Association between Visual Abilities and Objectively-Measured Driving Space, Exposure, and Avoidance among Older Drivers: A Preliminary Analysis." Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety 29(4): 39-45.
- Mejía, Shannon T., Lindsay H. Ryan, Richard D. Gonzalez, and Jacqui Smith. 2017. "Successful Aging as the Intersection of Individual Resources, Age, Environment, and Experiences of Well-being in Daily Activities." The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 72(2): 279-289.
- Ryan, Lindsay H., Nicky J. Newton, Preet K. Chauhan, and William J. Chopik. 2017. "Effects of pre-retirement personality, health and job lock on post-retirement subjective well-being." Translational Issues in Psychological Science 3(4): 378-387. US: Educational Publishing Foundation.
- Fisher, Gwenith G., Lindsay H. Ryan, Amanda J. Sonnega, and Megan N. Naudé. 2016. "Job Lock, Work, and Psychological Well-being in the United States." Work, Aging and Retirement 2(3): 345-358.
- Ryan, Lindsay H. 2016. "Subjective Well-being." in Encyclopedia of Adulthood and Aging, edited by Whitbourne, S. K. Hoboken,NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Smith, Jacqui, and Lindsay H. Ryan. 2016. "Psychological Vitality in the Oldest Old." Pp. 303-319 in Handbook of the psychology of aging, edited by Schaie, K. W., Willis, S. I. San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Birditt, Kira S., Nicky J. Newton, James A. Cranford, and Lindsay H. Ryan. 2015. "Stress and Negative Relationship Quality among Older Couples: Implications for Blood Pressure." The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 71(5): 775–785. Oxford University Press.
- Fisher, Gwenith G., Lindsay H. Ryan, and Amanda J. Sonnega. 2015. "Prolonged Working Years: Consequences and Directions for Interventions." Pp. 269-288 in Sustainable Working Lives, edited by Vuori, Jukka, Blonk, Roland, Price, Richard H. Springer Netherlands.
- Smith, Jacqui, and Lindsay H. Ryan. 2015. "Pyschological vitality in the oldest old." in The Handbook of the Psychology of Aging, edited by Schaie, K. W., Willis, S. L. Amersterdam: Elsevier.
- Newton, N. J., Lindsay H. Ryan, R. T. King, and Jacqui Smith. 2014. "Cohort differences in the marriage-health relationship for midlife women." Social science & medicine 116: 64-72.
- Queen, T. L., Robert Stawski, Lindsay H. Ryan, and Jacqui Smith. 2014. "Loneliness in a day: activity engagement, time alone, and experienced emotions." Psychology and aging 29(2): 297-305.
- Ryan, Lindsay H., W. H. Wan, and Jacqui Smith. 2014. "Spousal social support and strain: impacts on health in older couples." Journal of Behavioral Medicine 37(6): 1108-1117.
- Smith, Jacqui, Lindsay H. Ryan, T. L. Queen, S. Becker, and Richard D. Gonzalez. 2014. "Snapshots of Mixtures of Affective Experiences in a Day: Findings from the Health and Retirement Study." Journal of population ageing 7(1): 55-79.
- Windsor, Tim D., Denis Gerstorf, Elissa Pearson, Lindsay H. Ryan, and Kaarin J. Anstey. 2014. "Positive and negative social exchanges and cognitive aging in young-old adults: Differential associations across family, friend, and spouse domains." Psychology and aging 29(1): 28-43.
- Yan, Ting, Lindsay H. Ryan, Sandra E. Becker, and Jacqui Smith. 2014. "Assessing Quality of Answers to a Global Well-Being Question through Response Times." Survey Research Methods 9(101-109).
- Smith, Jacqui, Lindsay H. Ryan, and Christina Röcke. 2013. "The Day-to-Day Effects of Conscientiousness on Well-Being." Research in Human Development 10(1): 9-25.
- Ryan, Lindsay H., Jacqui Smith, and Toni C. Antonucci. 2012. "Cohort Differences in the Availability of Informal Caregivers: Are the Boomers at Risk?" The Gerontologist 52(2): 177-188.
- Infurna, F. J., D. Gerstorf, Lindsay H. Ryan, and Jacqui Smith. 2011. "Dynamic links between memory and functional limitations in old age: longitudinal evidence for age-based structural dynamics from the AHEAD study." Psychology and aging 26(3): 546-548.
- Ryan, Lindsay H., and Jacqui Smith. 2010. "Cognition and health disparities over the life course: Longevity as an example." in Life-course perspectives on late life health inequalities, edited by Antonucci, Toni C., Jackson, James S. New York: Springer.
- Windsor, Tim D., Lindsay H. Ryan, and Jacqui Smith. 2009. "Individual Well-being in Middle and Older Adulthood: Do Spousal Beliefs Matter?" The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 64B(5): 586-596.
- Yu, Fang, Lindsay H. Ryan, K. Warner Schaie, Sherry L. Willis, and Ann Kolanowski. 2009. "Factors associated with cognition in adults: The Seattle Longitudinal Study." Research in nursing & health 32(5): 540-550.