Robert M. Sellers
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Vice Provost, Vice Provst Equity & Inclusion
Professor, Soe-Educational Studies
Dr. Sellers' research interests include ethnicity, racial and ethnic identity, personality and health, athletic participation and personality. The meta-objective of his research has been to examine the ways in which the interaction between person characteristics (e.g., identity and attributional styles) and characteristics of the social environment (or event) influence subsequent behavior and adaptational outcomes. Both personality and social psychology have investigated this question from different points of view. Mywork has attempted to incorporate approaches and methodologies that are common to both of these areas of psychology as I have tried to develop important conceptual and methodological constructs that represent relevant experiences in the lives of African Americans and college student-athletes.
- Butler-Barnes, Sheretta T., Fatima Varner, Amber Williams, and Robert M. Sellers. Forthcoming. "Academic Identity: A Longitudinal Investigation of African American Adolescents' Academic Persistence." Journal of Black Psychology
- Hoggard, Lori S., Shawn C. T. Jones, and Robert M. Sellers. 2017. "Racial Cues and Racial Identity: Implications for How African Americans Experience and Respond to Racial Discrimination." Journal of Black Psychology 43(4): 409-432.
- Chae, David H., Wizdom A. Powell, Amani M. Nuru-Jeter, Mia A. Smith-Bynum, Eleanor K. Seaton, Tyrone A. Forman, Rodman Turpin, and Robert M. Sellers. Forthcoming. "The Role of Racial Identity and Implicit Racial Bias in Self-Reported Racial Discrimination: Implications for Depression Among African American Men." Journal of Black Psychology
- Hoggard, Lori S., LaBarron K. Hill, DeLeon L. Gray, and Robert M. Sellers. 2015. "Capturing the cardiac effects of racial discrimination: Do the effects "keep going"?" International Journal of Psychophysiology 97(2): 163-170.
- Hoggard, Lori S., Christy M. Byrd, and Robert M. Sellers. 2015. "The Lagged Effects of Racial Discrimination on Depressive Symptomology and Interactions With Racial Identity." Journal of Counseling Psychology 62(2): 216-225.
- Oney, Christina, Daniel DePaulo, Rebecca Lewis, and Robert M. Sellers. 2015. "Eating behaviors and related cultural attitudes of African American men and women." Health Psychology Open 2(2).
- Hope, Elan C., Tabbye M. Chavous, Robert J. Jagers, and Robert M. Sellers. 2013. "Connecting Self-Esteem and Achievement: Diversity in Academic Identification and Dis-identification Patterns Among Black College Students." American Educational Research Journal 50(5): 1122-1151.
- Hurd, Noelle M., Robert M. Sellers, Courtney D. Cogburn, Sheretta T. Butler-Barnes, and Marc A. Zimmerman. 2013. "Racial Identity and Depressive Symptoms Among Black Emerging Adults: The Moderating Effects of Neighborhood Racial Composition." Developmental Psychology 49(5): 938-950.
- Ford, Kahlil R., Noelle M. Hurd, Robert J. Jagers, and Robert M. Sellers. 2013. "Caregiver Experiences of Discrimination and African American Adolescents' Psychological Health Over Time." Child Development 84(2): 485-499.
- Hurd, Noelle M., and Robert M. Sellers. 2013. "Black Adolescents' Relationships With Natural Mentors: Associations With Academic Engagement via Social and Emotional Development." Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology 19(1): 76-85.
- Hoggard, Lori S., Christy M. Byrd, and Robert M. Sellers. 2012. "Comparison of African American College Students' Coping With Racially and Nonracially Stressful Events." Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology 18(4): 329-339.
- Griffin, Tiffany Monique, Tabbye Chavous, Courtney Cogburn, LaToya Branch, and Robert M. Sellers. 2012. "Dimensions of Academic Contingencies Among African American College Students." Journal of Black Psychology 38(2): 201-227.
- Seaton, Eleanor K., Tiffany Yip, Antonio Morgan-Lopez, and Robert M. Sellers. 2012. "Racial Discrimination and Racial Socialization as Predictors of African American Adolescents' Racial Identity Development Using Latent Transition Analysis." Developmental Psychology 48(2): 448-458.
- Seaton, Eleanor K., Enrique W. Neblett, Rachel D. Upton, Wizdom Powell Hammond, and Robert M. Sellers. 2011. "The Moderating Capacity of Racial Identity Between Perceived Discrimination and Psychological Well-Being Over Time Among African American Youth." Child Development 82(6): 1850-1867.
- Oney, Christina N., Elizabeth R. Cole, and Robert M. Sellers. 2011. "Racial Identity and Gender as Moderators of the Relationship Between Body Image and Self-esteem for African Americans." Sex Roles 65(7-8): 619-631.
- Seaton, E. K., Cleopatra H. Caldwell, Robert M. Sellers, and James S. Jackson. 2010. "Developmental Characteristics of African American and Caribbean Black Adolescents' Attributions Regarding Discrimination." Journal of Research on Adolescence 20(3): 774-788.
- Seaton, E. K., Cleopatra H. Caldwell, Robert M. Sellers, and James S. Jackson. 2010. "An Intersectional Approach for Understanding Perceived Discrimination and Psychological Well-Being Among African American and Caribbean Black Youth." Developmental Psychology 46(5): 1372-1379.
- Wout, D. A., M. J. Shih, James S. Jackson, and Robert M. Sellers. 2009. "Targets as Perceivers: How People Determine When They Will Be Negatively Stereotyped." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 96(2): 349-362.
- Brown, T. N., James S. Jackson, K. T. Brown, Robert M. Sellers, S. Keiper, and W. J. Manuel. 2003. "There's No Race on the Playing Field - Perceptions of Racial Discrimination Among White and Black Athletes." Journal of Sport and Social Issues 27(2): 162-183.
- Brown, K. T., T. N. Brown, James S. Jackson, Robert M. Sellers, and W. J. Manuel. 2003. "Teammates on and Off the Field? - Contact With Black Teammates and the Racial Attitudes of White Student Athletes." Journal of Applied Social Psychology 33(7): 1379-1403.