James W. McNally
Research Scientist, ICPSR - Membership Archives
Dr. McNally is Director of the NACDA Program on Aging, a data archive containing over 1,500 studies related to health and the aging lifecourse. His research focuses primarily on issues of family support and health among the aged, both in the U.S. and internationally. He does methodological research on the repair of deficient data. Most recently, he has been studying the impacts of heterogeneity on health outcomes among elderly U.S. Asian/Pacific Islander populations.
- Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research. (James S. Jackson, Toni C. Antonucci, Robert J. Taylor, Jacqui Smith, Jamie Mitchell, Briana M. Ratliff, Amy M. Pienta, Daphne C. Watkins, James W. McNally, Felichism W. Kabo, Kristine J. Ajrouch, Lenwood W. Hayman, Bruno J. Giordani, Helen G. Levy, Elham Mahmoudi, Lenette Michelle Jones) 2018-2023. NIA.
- FACTORS IN AGING: Best Practices in Archiving and Sharing Longitudinal Data Resources on Aging (Supplement). (James W. McNally, Jared A. Lyle, Susan H. Leonard) 2017-2022. NIA.
- FACTORS IN AGING: Best Practices in Archiving and Sharing Longitudinal Data Resources on Aging. (James W. McNally, Margaret C. Levenstein, Amy M. Pienta, John E. Marcotte, Jared A. Lyle, George C. Alter, Saundra Schneider) 2017-2022. NIA.
- Demographic Data Sharing and Archiving. (John E. Marcotte, James W. McNally) 2014-2019. NIH.
- National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging. (James W. McNally) 2012-2017. NIA.
- McNally, James W. 2018. "IIntegrating Research on Alzheimer's and Other Dementias into Population Health Models: Overcoming Barriers and Embracing New Opportunities." Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association 14(7): P233-P234.
- Panapasa, Sela V., James W. McNally, Steven G. Heeringa, and David R. Williams. 2015. "Impacts of Long-Term Obesity on the Health Status of Samoan and Tongan Men in the United States: Results from the Pacific Islander Health Study." Ethnicity & disease 25(3): 279-286. International Society on Hypertension in Blacks.
- Panapasa, Sela V., David R. Williams, Steven G. Heeringa, James S. Jackson, Cleopatra H. Caldwell, James W. McNally, D. Coral, L. Taumoepeau, et al. 2012. "Community-based participatory research approach to evidence-based research: lessons from the Pacific Islander American Health Study." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 6(1): 53-8.
- An, D., Roderick J. Little, and James W. McNally. 2010. "A multiple imputation approach to disclosure limitation for high-age individuals in longitudinal studies." Statistics in medicine 29(17): 1769-1778.
- Panapasa, Sela V., M. K. Mau, David R. Williams, and James W. McNally. 2010. "Mortality Patterns of Native Hawaiians Across Their Lifespan: 1990-2000." American Journal of Public Health 100(11): 2304-2310.
- Phua, Voon, and James W. McNally. 2008. "Men Planning for Retirement: Changing Meanings of Preretirement Planning." Journal of Applied Gerontology 27: 588-608.
- Gutmann, Myron P., Kristine M. Witkowski, Corey Colyer, O'Rourke JoAnne McFarland, and James W. McNally. 2008. "Providing Spatial Data for Secondary Analysis: Issues and Current Practices Relating to Confidentiality." Population Research and Policy Review 27(6): 639-665.
- Hoelter, Lynette F., Felicia B. LeClere, Amy M. Pienta, R. E. Barlow, and James W. McNally. 2008. "Using ICPSR resources to teach sociology." Teaching Sociology 36(1): 17-25.
- Phua, Voon Chin, James W. McNally, and Keong-Suk Park. 2007. "Poverty Among Elderly Asian Americans in the 21st Century." Journal of Poverty 11(2): 73-92.
- McNally, James W. 2003. "Widowhood and Family Support in the North and South Pacific: A Comparative Review." Journal of Women and Aging 15(2/3).
- Sassler, Sharon, and James W. McNally. 2003. "Cohabiting Couple's Economic Circumstances and Union Transitions: A Re-Examination Using Multiple Imputation Methods." Social Science Research 32(4): 553-578.
- McNally, James W. 2003. "Health, Widowhood, and Family Support in the North and South Pacific: A Comparative Study." in Widows and Divorcees in Later Life: On Their Own Again, edited by Jenkins, Carol L. Haworth Press, New York.