Faculty Associate, CPS
Professor, Sch For Environ And Sustain
Samuel Trask Dana Professor
Arun Agrawal's work focuses on the politics of international development, institutional change and environmental conservation. He has written extensively on indigenous knowledge, community-based conservation, common property, population and resources, and environmental identities. Dr. Agrawal's interests include the decentralization of environmental policy, especially forestry and wildlife, and the emergence of the environment as a subject of human concern. His projects are geographically focused in South Asia, as well as recent work in other developing countries in Africa and Latin America.
- RAPID: Global Dependence of Livelihoods on Forests and the Impacts of Forest Investments: Disaster Recovery in Nepal. Elisabeth Gerber, Arun Agrawal. 2016-2019. National Science Foundation.
- Clay, Nathan, Kayla Yurco, Arun Agrawal, and Lauren Persha. 2018. "Ecosystem Services in a Transitional Forest Landscape: Shifting Trajectories in Southeast Michigan, USA." Society & Natural Resources 31(4): 457-472.
- Rasmussen, Laura Vang, Suhyun Jung, Alice Dantas Brites, Cristy Watkins, and Arun Agrawal. 2017. "Understanding smallholders' intended deforestation behavior in the Brazilian Cerrado following environmental registry." Environmental Research Letters 12(9).
- Mascia, Michael B., Arun Agrawal, Helen E. Fox, Louise Glew, Gabby N. Ahmadia, Megan Barnes, Xavier Basurto, Ian Craigie, et al. 2017. "A novel framework for analyzing conservation impacts: evaluation, theory, and marine protected areas." Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1399(1): 93-115.
- Jung, Suhyun, Laura Vang Rasmussen, Cristy Watkins, Peter Newton, and Arun Agrawal. 2017. "Brazil's National Environmental Registry of Rural Properties: Implications for Livelihoods." Ecological Economics 136: 53-61.
- Gebara, Maria Fernanda, and Arun Agrawal. 2017. "Beyond Rewards and Punishments in the Brazilian Amazon: Practical Implications of the REDD plus Discourse." Forests 8(3): 66.
- Mapfumo, Paul, Arun Agrawal, Mary Onyango, Said K. Honkponou, El Houssine El Mzouri, Andrew Githeko, Lilia Rabeharisoa, Joy Obando, et al. 2017. "Pathways to transformational change in the face of climate impacts: an analytical framework." Climate and Development 9(5): 439-451.
- Rasmussen, Laura Vang, Rosina Bierbaum, Johan A. Oldekop, and Arun Agrawal. 2017. "Bridging the practitioner-researcher divide: Indicators to track environmental, economic, and sociocultural sustainability of agricultural commodity production." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 42: 33-46.
- Rasmussen, Laura Vang, Cristy Watkins, and Arun Agrawal. 2017. "Forest contributions to livelihoods in changing agriculture-forest landscapes." Forest Policy and Economics 84: 1-8.
- Liao, Chuan, Suhyun Jung, Daniel G. Brown, and Arun Agrawal. 2016. "Insufficient research on land grabbing." Science 353(6295): 131-131.
- Hajjar, Reem, Arun Agrawal, Johan A. Oldekop, Peter Cronkleton, Emily Etue, Peter Newton, Aaron J. M. Russel, Januarti Sinarra Tjajadi, an, et al. 2016. "The data not collected on community forestry." Conservation Biology 30(6): 1357-1362.
- Newton, Peter, Daniel C. Miller, M. Augustine Ateenyi Byenkya, and Arun Agrawal. 2016. "Who are forest-dependent people? A taxonomy to aid livelihood and land use decision-making in forested regions." Land Use Policy 57: 388-395.
- Newton, Peter, Johan A. Oldekop, Gernot Brodnig, Birendra K. Karna, and Arun Agrawal. 2016. "Carbon, biodiversity, and livelihoods in forest commons: synergies, trade-offs, and implications for REDD." Environmental Research Letters 11(4): 044017.
- Hicks, Christina C., Arun Agrawal, Arielle Levine, Xavier Basurto, Sara J. Breslow, Courtney Carothers, Susan Charnley, Sarah Coulthard, et al. 2016. "Engage key social concepts for sustainability." Science 352(6281): 38-40.
- Bouamrane, Meriem, Arun Agrawal, Marja Spierenburg, Amadou Boureima, Marie-Christine Cormier-Salem, Michel Etienne, Christophe Le Page, Harold Levrel, an, et al. 2016. "Stakeholder engagement and biodiversity conservation challenges in social-ecological systems: some insights from biosphere reserves in western Africa and France." Ecology and Society 21(4): 25.
- Oldekop, Johan A., Arun Agrawal, Lorenza B. Fontana, Jean Grugel, Nicole Roughton, Emmanuel A. Adu-Ampong, Gemma K. Bird, Alex Dorgan, et al. 2016. "100 key research questions for the post-2015 development agenda." Development Policy Review 34(1): 55-82.
- Golrokhian, Arman, Katherine Browne, Rebecca Hardin, Arun Agrawal, Kelly M. Askew, Laura Beny, Benjamin Larroquette, and Benjamin Morse. 2016. "A National Adaptation Programme of Action: Ethiopia's responses to climate change." World Development Perspectives 1: 53-57.
- Agrawal, Arun, Ashwini Chhatre, and Elisabeth Gerber. 2015. "Motivational Crowding in Sustainable Development Interventions." American Political Science Review 109(3): 470-487.
- Newton, Peter, Arun Agrawal, Brian Schaap, Michelle Fournier, Meghan Cornwall, Derrick W. Rosenbach, Joel DeBoer, Jessica Whittemore, et al. 2015. "Community forest management and REDD." Forest Policy and Economics 56: 27-37.
- Agrawal, Arun, and Maria Carmen Lemos. 2015. "Adaptive Development." Nature Climate Change 5(3): 185-187.
- Agrawal, Arun, E. Wollenberg, and L. Persha. 2014. "Governing agriculture-forest landscapes to achieve climate change mitigation." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 29: 270-280.
- Brandt, Jodi S., Christoph Nolte, Jessica Steinberg, and Arun Agrawal. 2014. "Foreign capital, forest change and regulatory compliance in Congo Basin forests." Environmental Research Letters 9(4).
- van Ruijven, Bas J., Arun Agrawal, Marc A. Levy, Frank Biermann, Joern Birkmann, Timothy R. Carter, Kristie L. Ebi, Matthias Garschagen, et al. 2014. "Enhancing the relevance of Shared Socioeconomic Pathways for climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability research." Climatic Change 122(3): 481-494.
- Agrawal, Arun. 2014. "Studying the commons, governing common-pool resource outcomes: Some concluding thoughts." Environmental Science & Policy 36: 86-91.
- Agrawal, Arun, Daniel G. Brown, Gautam Rao, Rick Riolo, Derek T. Robinson, and Michael Bommarito II. 2013. "Interactions between organizations and networks in common-pool resource governance." Environmental Science & Policy 25(0): 138-146.
- Brown, Daniel G., Arun Agrawal, Daniel A. Sass, Jun Wang, Jin Hua, and Yichun Xie. 2013. "Responses to climate and economic risks and opportunities across national and ecological boundaries: changing household strategies on the Mongolian plateau." Environmental Research Letters 8: 045011.
- Wang, Jun, Daniel G. Brown, and Arun Agrawal. 2013. "Climate adaptation, local institutions, and rural livelihoods: A comparative study of herder communities in Mongolia and Inner Mongolia, China." Global Environmental Change 23(6): 1673-1683.
- Wang, Jun, Daniel G. Brown, Rick L. Riolo, Scott E. Page, and Arun Agrawal. 2013. "Exploratory analyses of local institutions for climate change adaptation in the Mongolian grasslands: An agent-based modeling approach." Global Environmental Change 23(5): 1266-1276.
- Newton, Peter, Arun Agrawal, and Lini Wollenberg. 2013. "Enhancing the sustainability of commodity supply chains in tropical forest and agricultural landscapes." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 23(6): 1761-1772.
- Adhikari, Bhim, and Arun Agrawal. 2013. "Understanding the Social and Ecological Outcomes of PES Projects: A Review and an Analysis." Conservation & Society 11(4): 359-374.
- Renno, Nilton O., Arun Agrawal, Earle Williams, Daniel Rosenfeld, David G. Fischer, Juergen Fischer, Tibor Kremic, Meinrat O. Andreae, et al. 2013. "CHASER An Innovative Satellite Mission Concept to Measure the Effects of Aerosols on Clouds and Climate." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 94(5): 685-694.
- Nolte, Christoph, Arun Agrawal, Kirsten M. Silvius, and Britaldo S. Soares-Filho. 2013. "Governance regime and location influence avoided deforestation success of protected areas in the Brazilian Amazon." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110(13): 4956-4961.
- Miller, Daniel C., Arun Agrawal, and J. Timmons Roberts. 2013. "Biodiversity, Governance, and the Allocation of International Aid for Conservation." Conservation Letters 6(1): 12-20.
- Nolte, Christoph, and Arun Agrawal. 2013. "Linking Management Effectiveness Indicators to Observed Effects of Protected Areas on Fire Occurrence in the Amazon Rainforest." Conservation Biology 27(1): 155-165.
- Nolte, Christoph, Arun Agrawal, and Paulo Barreto. 2013. "Setting priorities to avoid deforestation in Amazon protected areas: are we choosing the right indicators?" Environmental Research Letters 8(1): 015039.
- Bell, A. R., R. L. Riolo, J. M. Doremus, Daniel G. Brown, T. P. Lyon, J. Vandermeer, and Arun Agrawal. 2012. "Fragmenting forests: the double edge of effective forest monitoring." Environmental Science & Policy 16: 20-30.
- DeFries, Ruth S., Arun Agrawal, Erle C. Ellis, F. Stuart Chapin, Pamela A. Matson, B. L. Turner, Paul J. Crutzen, Chris Field, et al. 2012. "Planetary Opportunities: A Social Contract for Global Change Science to Contribute to a Sustainable Future." Bioscience 62(6): 603-606.
- Agrawal, Arun, Maria Carmen Lemos, Ben Orlove, and Jesse Ribot. 2012. "Cool heads for a hot world - Social sciences under a changing sky." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 22(2): 329-331.
- Andersson, Krister, and Arun Agrawal. 2011. "Inequalities, institutions, and forest commons." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 21(3): 866-875.
- Bush, Kathleen F., Daniel G. Brown, Arun Agrawal, George Luber, S. Rani Kotha, R. S. Dhaliwal, Vikas Kapil, Mercedes Pascual, et al. 2011. "Impacts of Climate Change on Public Health in India: Future Research Directions." Environmental Health Perspectives 119(6): 765-770.
- Agrawal, Arun, and Catherine Shannon Benson. 2011. "Common property theory and resource governance institutions: strengthening explanations of multiple outcomes." Environmental Conservation 38(2): 199-210.
- Agrawal, Arun. 2011. "A positive side of disaster." Nature 473(7347): 291-292.
- Persha, Lauren, Arun Agrawal, and Ashwini Chhatre. 2011. "Social and Ecological Synergy: Local Rulemaking, Forest Livelihoods, and Biodiversity Conservation." Science 331(6024): 1606-1608.
- Agrawal, Arun, and Ashwini Chhatre. 2011. "Strengthening causal inference through qualitative analysis of regression residuals: explaining forest governance in the Indian Himalaya." Environment and Planning A 43(2): 328-346.
- Agrawal, Arun, and Ashwini Chhatre. 2011. "Against mono-consequentialism: Multiple outcomes and their drivers in social-ecological systems." Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 21(1): 1-3.
- Agrawal, Arun, Daniel Nepstad, Ashwini Chhatre, A. Gadgil, and D. M. Liverman. 2011. "Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation." Annual Review of Environment and Resources 36: 373-396.