C. Hoyt Bleakley Jr.
Research Professor, PSC
Hoyt Bleakley's research interests include economic history, development, labor and international macroeconomics. In recent work, Dr. Bleakley examines longevity, education. and income through the construct of a triangle and proposes that death is like a tax on human-capital investments.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt. 2018. "Health, Disease, and Sanitation in American Economic History." in The Oxford Handbook of American Economic History, edited by Cain, Louis P., Fishback, Price V., Rhode, Paul W. Oxford University Press.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Sok Chul Hong. 2017. "Adapting to the Weather: Lessons from U.S. History." The Journal of Economic History 77(3): 756-795.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Joseph Ferrie. 2016. "Shocking Behavior: Random Wealth in Antebellum Georgia and Human Capital Across Generations." The Quarterly Journal of Economics 131(3): 1455-1495.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Jeffrey Lin. 2015. "History and the Sizes of Cities." American Economic Review 105(5): 558-563.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, Louis Cain, and Joseph Ferrie. 2015. "Amidst Poverty and Prejudice: Black and Irish Civil War Veterans." in Institutions, Innovation, and Industrialization: Essays in Economic History and Development, edited by Avner Greif, Lynne Keisling, John V.C. Nye. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Alderman, Harold, and C. Hoyt Bleakley Jr. 2013. "Child Health and Educational Outcomes." Pp. 107-136 in Education Policy in Developing Countries, edited by Paul Glewwe. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Jeffrey Lin. 2012. "Portage and Path Dependence." Quarterly Journal of Economics 127(2): 587-644.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Jeffrey Lin. 2012. "Thick-Market Effects and Churning in the Labor Market: Evidence from U.S. Cities." Journal of Urban Economics 72(2-3): 87-103.
- Akbulut-Yuksel, Mevlude, C. Hoyt Bleakley Jr., and Aimee Chin. 2011. "The Effects of English Proficiency among Childhood Immigrants: Are Hispanics Different?" Pp. 255-284 in Latinos and the Economy: Integration and Impact in Schools, Labor Markets, and Beyond, edited by David L. Leal and Stephen J. Trejo. New York: Springer.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Aimee Chin. 2010. "Age at Arrival, English Proficiency, and Social Assimilation among US Immigrants." American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 2(1): 165-192.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt, and Kevin Cowan. 2010. "Maturity Mismatch and Financial Crises: Evidence from Emerging Market Corporations." Journal of Development Economics 93(2): 189-205.
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt. 2010. "Malaria in the Americas: A Retrospective Analysis of Childhood Exposure." American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 2(2).
- Bleakley Jr., C. Hoyt. 2010. "Health, Human Capital, and Development." Annual Review of Economics 2: 283-310.
- Bleakley on the USMCA deal
- Bleakley commented on the effect of US-Mexico border shutdown on economy
- Hoyt Bleakley and his papers quoted in the Washington Post
- Bleakley says state educational initiatives favoring skills-oriented career training may have more ROI for employers than workers
- Bleakley says administration's inaccuracies on Japan's US auto production cast uncertainty on policymaking
- Bleakley says reversing US trade policies could be 'recipe for slowdown'