Yuen Yuen Ang
Faculty Associate, CPS
Associate Professor, LSA Political Science
Dr. Ang's work is dedicated to better understanding how development occurs as a complex process, through a focus on developing countries and emerging markets, particularly China. Her research program comprises three interconnected themes: how markets emerge in the absence of good governance and state capacity; the underlying conditions that enable effective adaptation; and the interactive relationship between corruption and economic prosperity.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2018. "Autocracy with Chinese Characteristics: Beijing's behind-the-Scenes Reforms Is Democracy Dying." Foreign Affairs 97(3): 39-48.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2018. "Chinese Storytelling." The International Economy; Washington 32(2): 46-47.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2018. "Domestic Flying Geese: Industrial Transfer and Delayed Policy Diffusion in China." The China Quarterly 234: 420-443.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2017. "Beyond Weber: Conceptualizing an alternative ideal type of bureaucracy in developing contexts." Regulation & Governance 11(3): 282-298.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2016. "Co-optation & Clientelism: Nested Distributive Politics in China's Single-Party Dictatorship." Studies in Comparative International Development 51(3): 235-256.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2016. "How China Escaped the Poverty Trap." Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2014. "Authoritarian Restraints on Online Activism Revisited Why "I-Paid-A-Bribe" Worked in India but Failed in China." Comparative Politics 47(1): 21-40.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen, and Nan Jia. 2014. "Perverse Complementarity: Political Connections and the Use of Courts among Private Firms in China." Journal of Politics 76(2): 318-332.
- Ang, Yuen Yuen. 2012. "Counting Cadres: A Comparative View of the Size of China's Public Employment." China Quarterly 211: 676-696.
- China's Understanding With African Countries is Changing the Traditional Balance of Power
- Demystifying Belt and Road
- What is the China Model? Understanding the Country's State-Led Economic Model
- Yuen Yuen Ang on how China escaped poverty: Video Interview
- MACRON, MERKEL URGE IMPROVED TIES WITH CHINA AS BELT AND ROAD LOOKS MORE LIKELY THAN EVER
- China's Leader Says Party Must Control 'All Tasks,' and Asian Markets Slump
- Autocracy With Chinese Characteristics