Faculty Associate, RCGD
Associate Professor, Psychology
- 5006 ISR-Thompson
Dr. Kovelman's research interests are in language and reading development in monolingual and bilingual infants, children, and adults. Her work includes both typical and atypical language and reading development using a variety of behavioral and brain imaging methods (fMRI, fNIRS).
- Kovelman, Ioulia, and Rebecca A. Marks. 2019. "Tracking qualitative changes in cognition and brain development through bilingualism." Journal of Neurolinguistics 49: 255-257.
- Kremin, Lena V., Maria M. Arredondo, Lucy Shih-Ju Hsu, Teresa Satterfield, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2019. "The effects of Spanish heritage language literacy on English reading for Spanish-English bilingual children in the US." International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 22(2): 192-206.
- Hsu, Lucy Shih-Ju, Ka I. Ip, Maria M. Arredondo, Twila Tardif, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2019. "Simultaneous acquisition of English and Chinese impacts children's reliance on vocabulary, morphological and phonological awareness for reading in English." International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 22(2): 207-223.
- Brennan, Jonathan R., Renee Lajiness-O'Neill, Susan Bowyer, Ioulia Kovelman, and John T. Hale. 2019. "Predictive sentence comprehension during story-listening in autism spectrum disorder." Language, Cognition and Neuroscience 34(4): 428-439.
- Arredondo, Maria M., Xiao-Su Hu, Erica Seifert, Teresa Satterfield, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2019. "Bilingual exposure enhances left IFG specialization for language in children." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 22(4): 783-801.
- Arredondo, Maria M., Xiao-Su Hu, Teresa Satterfield, Akemi Tsutsumi Riobóo, Susan A. Gelman, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2019. "Bilingual effects on lexical selection: A neurodevelopmental perspective." Brain and Language 195: 104640.
- Marks, Rebecca A., Ioulia Kovelman, Olga Kepinska, Myriam Oliver, Zhichao Xia, Stephanie L. Haft, Leo Zekelman, Priscilla Duong, et al. 2019. "Spoken language proficiency predicts print-speech convergence in beginning readers." NeuroImage 201: 116021.
- Ellis, A., X. Hu, C. E. Smith, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2018. "Sharing as a model for understanding division." Neuroreport 29(11): 889-893. England.
- Lajiness-O'Neill, Renée, Ioulia Kovelman, Jonathan R. Brennan, John E. Moran, Annette E. Richard, Ana-Mercedes Flores, Casey Swick, Ryan Goodcase, et al. 2018. "Patterns of altered neural synchrony in the default mode network in autism spectrum disorder revealed with magnetoencephalography (MEG): Relationship to clinical symptomatology." Autism Research 11(3): 434-449.
- Hu, X., Ioulia Kovelman, A. Racek, E. Bellile, T. Nascimento, M. Bender, R. Toback, D. Burnett, et al. 2018. "Brain Functional Changes before, during, and after Clinical Pain." Journal of Dental Research 97(5): 523-529.
- Basura, Gregory J., Xiao-Su Hu, Juan San Juan, Anne-Michelle Tessier, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2018. "Human central auditory plasticity: A review of functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) to measure cochlear implant performance and tinnitus perception." Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology 3(6): 463-472.
- Ip, Ka I., Lucy Shih-Ju Hsu, Maria M. Arredondo, Twila Tardif, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2017. "Brain bases of morphological processing in Chinese-English bilingual children." Developmental Science 20(5): e12449.
- Jasińska, K. K., M. S. Berens, Ioulia Kovelman, and L. A. Petitto. 2017. "Bilingualism yields language-specific plasticity in left hemisphere's circuitry for learning to read in young children." Neuropsychologia 98: 34-45.
- Arredondo, Maria M., Xiao-Su Hu, Teresa Satterfield, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2017. "Bilingualism alters children's frontal lobe functioning for attentional control." Developmental Science 20(3): e12377.
- Juan, Juan San, Xiao-Su Hu, Mohamad Issa, Silvia Bisconti, Ioulia Kovelman, Paul Kileny, and Gregory Basura. 2017. "Tinnitus alters resting state functional connectivity (RSFC) in human auditory and non-auditory brain regions as measured by functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS)." PLOS ONE 12(6): e0179150.
- Perrachione, Tyler, Satrajit Ghosh, Irina Ostrovskaya, John Gabrieli, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2017. "Phonological Working Memory for Words and Nonwords in Cerebral Cortex." Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 60(7): 1959-1979.
- Ugolini, Margaret, Neelima Wagley, Ka Ip, Lucy Shih-Ju Hsu, Maria M. Arredondo, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2016. "In young readers, the left hemisphere supports the link between temporal processing and phonological awareness." Speech, Language and Hearing 19(1): 17-26.
- Bisconti, Silvia, Masha Shulkin, Xiaosu Hu, Gregory Basura, Paul Kileny, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2016. "Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Brain Imaging Investigation of Phonological Awareness and Passage Comprehension Abilities in Adult Recipients of Cochlear Implants." Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 59(2): 239-253.
- Brennan, Jonathan R., Neelima Wagley, Ioulia Kovelman, Susan M. Bowyer, Annette E. Richard, and Renee Lajiness-O'Neill. 2016. "MEG reveals atypical sensitivity to linguistic sound sequences in Autism Spectrum Disorder." Neuroreport 27(13): 982-986.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Maha Salah-Ud-Din, Melody S. Berens, and Laura-Ann Petitto. 2015. ""One glove does not fit all" in bilingual reading acquisition: Using the age of first bilingual language exposure to understand optimal contexts for reading success." Cogent Education 2(1): 1006504.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Elizabeth S. Norton, Joanna A. Christodoulou, Nadine Gaab, Daniel A. Lieberman, Christina Triantafyllou, Maryanne Wolf, Susan Whitfield-Gabrieli, an, et al. 2012. "Brain Basis of Phonological Awareness for Spoken Language in Children and Its Disruption in Dyslexia." Cerebral Cortex 22(4): 754-764.