Paul J. Fleming
Assistant Professor, Health Behavior And Health Education Dept., Sph
Dr. Fleming's research interests include implementing, evaluating, and refining health interventions that target social determinants of health; the role of gender norms in health behaviors; community-based approaches in global health and immigrant health; and mixed methods research methodology.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Suzanne Maman, Leonel Lerebours, Yeycy Donastorg, and Maximo O. Brito. Forthcoming. "Competition and Humiliation: How Masculine Norms Shape Men's Sexual and Violent Behaviors." Men and Masculinities : 1097184X17715493.
- Tsuyuki, Kiyomi, Paul J. Fleming, Balaiah Donta, Anindita Dasgupta, Mohan Ghule, Battala Madhusudana, Saritha Nair, Jay G. Silverman, et al. Forthcoming. "Masculine Gender Ideologies, Intimate Partner Violence, and Alcohol Use Increase Risk for Genital Tract Infections Among Men." Journal of Interpersonal Violence : 0886260517700619.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Wizdom Powell, Ann Gottert, Leonel Lerebours, Yeycy Donastorg, and Maximo O. Brito. Forthcoming. "The Association Between Men's Concern About Demonstrating Masculine Characteristics and Their Sexual Risk Behaviors: Findings from the Dominican Republic." Archives of Sexual Behavior : 1-9.
- Fleming, Paul J., Jay Silverman, Mohan Ghule, Julie Ritter, Madhusudana Battala, Gajanan Velhal, Saritha Nair, Anindita Dasgupta, et al. 2018. "Can a Gender Equity and Family Planning Intervention for Men Change Their Gender Ideology? Results from the CHARM Intervention in Rural India." Studies in Family Planning 49(1): 41-56.
- Wilkinson, Andra L., Paul J. Fleming, Carolyn Tucker Halpern, Amy H. Herring, and Kathleen Mullan Harris. 2018. "Adherence to gender-typical behavior and high-frequency substance use from adolescence into young adulthood." Psychology of Men & Masculinity 19(1): 145-155.
- Carrasco, Maria A., Jessica Wilkinson, Benjamin Kasdan, and Paul J. Fleming. 2018. "Systematic review of barriers and facilitators to voluntary medical male circumcision in priority countries and programmatic implications for service uptake." Global Public Health 0(0): 1-21.
- Sileo, Katelyn M., Rebecca Fielding-Miller, Shari L. Dworkin, and Paul J. Fleming. 2018. "What Role Do Masculine Norms Play in Men's HIV Testing in Sub-Saharan Africa?: A Scoping Review." AIDS and Behavior 22(8): 2468-2479.
- Carrasco, Maria Augusta, Paul J. Fleming, Jocelyn Wagman, and Vincent Wong. 2017. "Toward 90-90-90: identifying those who have never been tested for HIV and differences by sex in Lesotho." AIDS Care 0(0): 1-5.
- Fleming, Paul J., Thomas L. Patterson, Claudia V. Chavarin, Shirley J. Semple, Carlos Magis-Rodriguez, and Eileen V. Pitpitan. 2017. "Behavioral and Psychosocial Correlates of HIV Testing Among Male Clients of Female Sex Workers in Tijuana, Mexico." AIDS and Behavior 21(8): 2322-2331.
- Fleming, Paul J., Kathleen Mullan Harris, and Carolyn Tucker Halpern. 2017. "Description and Evaluation of a Measurement Technique for Assessment of Performing Gender." Sex Roles 76(11-12): 731-746.
- Brito, Maximo O., Shaveta Khosla, Sheewin Pananookooln, Paul J. Fleming, Leonel Lerebours, Yeycy Donastorg, and Robert C. Bailey. 2017. "Sexual Pleasure and Function, Coital Trauma, and Sex Behaviors After Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Among Men in the Dominican Republic." The Journal of Sexual Medicine 14(4): 526-534.
- Shakya, Holly B., Paul J. Fleming, Niranjan Saggurti, Balaiah Donta, Jay Silverman, and Anita Raj. 2017. "Longitudinal associations of intimate partner violence attitudes and perpetration: Dyadic couples data from a randomized controlled trial in rural India." Social Science & Medicine 179(Supplement C): 97-105.
- Villa-Torres, Laura, Tonatiuh González-Vázquez, Paul J. Fleming, Edgar Leonel González-González, César Infante-Xibille, Rebecca Chavez, and Clare Barrington. 2017. "Transnationalism and health: A systematic literature review on the use of transnationalism in the study of the health practices and behaviors of migrants." Social Science & Medicine 183(Supplement C): 70-79.
- Mendoza, Carlisdania, Clare Barrington, Yeycy Donastorg, Martha Perez, Paul J. Fleming, Michele R. Decker, and Deanna Kerrigan. 2017. "Violence From a Sexual Partner is Significantly Associated With Poor HIV Care and Treatment Outcomes Among Female Sex Workers in the Dominican Republic." JAIDS Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 74(3): 273.
- Fleming, Paul J., Laura Villa-Torres, Arianna Taboada, Chelly Richards, and Clare Barrington. 2017. "Marginalisation, discrimination and the health of Latino immigrant day labourers in a central North Carolina community." Health & Social Care in the Community 25(2): 527-537.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Lisa D. Pearce, Leonel Lerebours, Yeycy Donastorg, and Maximo O. Brito. 2017. ""I Feel Like More of a Man": A Mixed Methods Study of Masculinity, Sexual Performance, and Circumcision for HIV Prevention." The Journal of Sex Research 54(1): 42-54.
- Fleming, Paul J., Chris Colvin, Dean Peacock, and Shari L. Dworkin. 2016. "What role can gender-transformative programming for men play in increasing men's HIV testing and engagement in HIV care and treatment in South Africa?" Culture, Health & Sexuality 18(11): 1251-1264.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Martha Perez, Yeycy Donastorg, and Deanna Kerrigan. 2016. "HIV testing, care, and treatment experiences among the steady male partners of female sex workers living with HIV in the Dominican Republic." AIDS Care 28(6): 699-704.
- Fleming, Paul J., Ralph J. DiClemente, and Clare Barrington. 2016. "Masculinity and HIV: Dimensions of Masculine Norms that Contribute to Men's HIV-Related Sexual Behaviors." AIDS and Behavior 20(4): 788-798.
- Fleming, Paul J., Sofia Gruskin, Florencia Rojo, and Shari L. Dworkin. 2015. "Men's violence against women and men are inter-related: Recommendations for simultaneous intervention." Social Science & Medicine 146(Supplement C): 249-256.
- Fleming, Paul J., and Christine Agnew-Brune. 2015. "Current trends in the study of gender norms and health behaviors." Current Opinion in Psychology 5(Supplement C): 72-77.
- Dworkin, Shari L., Paul J. Fleming, and Christopher J. Colvin. 2015. "The promises and limitations of gender-transformative health programming with men: critical reflections from the field." Culture, Health & Sexuality 17(sup2): 128-143.
- Fleming, Paul J., Jennifer McCleary-Sills, Matthew Morton, Ruti Levtov, Brian Heilman, and Gary Barker. 2015. "Risk Factors for Men's Lifetime Perpetration of Physical Violence against Intimate Partners: Results from the International Men and Gender Equality Survey (IMAGES) in Eight Countries." PLOS ONE 10(3): e0118639.
- Villa-Torres, Laura, Paul J. Fleming, and Clare Barrington. 2015. "Engaging Men as Promotores de Salud: Perceptions of Community Health Workers Among Latino Men in North Carolina." Journal of Community Health 40(1): 167-174.
- Fleming, Paul J., Marta Mulawa, Holly Burke, Dominick Shattuck, Erasmus Mndeme, John Attafuah, Jessie Mbwambo, and Greg Guest. 2015. "The role of relationship types on condom use among urban men with concurrent partners in Ghana and Tanzania." AIDS Care 27(4): 466-472.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Martha Perez, Yeycy Donastorg, and Deanna Kerrigan. 2015. "Strategies for Recruiting Steady Male Partners of Female Sex Workers for HIV Research." AIDS and Behavior 19(2): 362-368.
- Burke, Holly McClain, Paul J. Fleming, and Greg Guest. 2014. "Assessment of the Psychometric Properties of HIV Knowledge Items Across Five Countries." AIDS Education and Prevention 26(6): 577-587.
- Fleming, Paul J., Clare Barrington, Martha Perez, Yeycy Donastorg, and Deanna Kerrigan. 2014. "Amigos and amistades: the role of men's social network ties in shaping HIV vulnerability in the Dominican Republic." Culture, Health & Sexuality 16(8): 883-897.
- Fleming, Paul J., Joseph G. L. Lee, and Shari L. Dworkin. 2014. ""Real Men Don't": Constructions of Masculinity and Inadvertent Harm in Public Health Interventions." American Journal of Public Health 104(6): 1029-1035.
- Semaan, Salaam, Paul J. Fleming, Caitlin Worrell, Haley Stolp, Brittney Baack, and Meghan Miller. 2011. "Potential role of safer injection facilities in reducing HIV and Hepatitis C infections and overdose mortality in the United States." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 118(2): 100-110.