Deborah L. Ball
Research Professor, SRC - Education & Well Being
Professor, School Of Education
Dr. Ball's research focuses on the work of teaching mathematics in ways that disrupt the reproduction of inequity and that make it possible for young people to enjoy and engage in mathematics in and out of school. She is an expert on teacher education, and her current work centers on how to improve the quality of beginning teaching. Her research is informed by strong links both to the arts and sciences and to professional preparation in other domains. Ball has authored or co-authored more than 150 publications and has lectured and made numerous major presentations around the world. Her research has been recognized with several awards and honors, and she has served on several national and international commissions and panels focused on policy initiatives and the improvement of education, including the National Mathematics Advisory Panel and the Commission on the Future of Undergraduate Education. She completed eleven years as dean of the U-M School of Education in June 2016.
- Shaughnessy, Meghan, Deborah L. Ball, and Nicole Garcia. 2017. "A Laboratory Approach to the Professional Development of Elementary Mathematics Specialists." Pp. 123-131 in Elementary Mathematics Specialists: Developing, Refining, and Examining Programs That Support Mathematics Teaching and Learning, edited by McGatha, Maggie B., Rigelman, Nicole R. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Hoover, Mark, Reidar Mosvold, Deborah L. Ball, and Yvonne Lai. 2016. "Making Progress on Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching." The Mathematics Enthusiast 13(1-2): 3-34.
- Selling, Sarah Kate, Nicole Garcia, and Deborah L. Ball. 2016. "What Does it Take to Develop Assessments of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching?: Unpacking the Mathematical Work of Teaching." The Mathematics Enthusiast 13: 35-51.
- Ball, Deborah L., Douglas Lyman Corey, Jenny Demonte, Delena Harrison, and Geoffrey Phelps. 2012. "Explaining Variation in Instructional Time: An Application of Quantile Regression." Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis 34(2): 146-163.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Francesca M. Forzani. 2011. "Building a common core for learning to teach: and connecting professional learning to practice." American Educator 35(Summer): 17-39.
- Hill, HeatherC, Deborah L. Ball, Hyman Bass, Merrie Blunk, Katie Brach, C. Y. Charalambous, Yaa Cole, Carolyn Dean, et al. 2011. "Measuring the mathematical quality of instruction." Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 14(1): 25-47.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Francesca M. Forzani. 2010. "What Does It Take to Make a Teacher?" The Phi Delta Kappan 92(2): 8-12.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Francesca M. Forzani. 2010. "Teaching skillful teaching." Educational Leadership 68(4): 40-45.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Mark Hoover Thames. 2010. "What math knowledge does teaching require?" Teaching Children Mathematics 17(4): 220-229.
- Ball, Deborah L., Hyman Bass, Timothy A. Boerst, and Laurie Sleep. 2009. "Combining the development of practice and the practice of development in teacher education." The Elementary School Journal 109(5): 458-474.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Francesca M. Forzani. 2009. "The work of teaching and the challenge for teacher education." Journal of Teacher Education 60(5): 497-511.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Heather Hill. 2009. "The curious--and crucial--case of mathematical knowledge for teaching." Phi Delta Kappan 91(2): 68-71.
- Lewis, J., and Deborah L. Ball. 2009. "Defining the problem of equity in teaching elementary school mathematics." in The next 25 years? Affirmative Action and Higher Education in the United States and South Africa, edited by Featherman, David L., Hall, M., Krislov, M. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Hyman Bass. 2008. "The Role of Mathematics in Education for Democracy." Pp. 171-184 in Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, edited by Fenstermacher, G., Coulter, D., Wiens, J. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Heather C. Hill. 2008. "Measuring teacher quality in practice." Pp. 80-98 in Measurement issues and assessment for teaching quality, edited by Gitomer, D. H. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Ball, Deborah L., Geoffrey Phelps, and Mark Hoover Thames. 2008. "Content knowledge for teaching: what makes it special?" Journal of Teacher Education 59(5): 389-407.
- Hill, Heather C., Deborah L. Ball, and Stephen G. Schilling. 2008. "Unpacking Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Conceptualizing and Measuring Teachers' Topic-Specific Knowledge of Students." Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 39(4): 372-400.
- Hill, Heather C., Merrie L. Blunk, Charalambos Y. Charalambous, Jennifer M. Lewis, Geoffrey C. Phelps, Laurie Sleep, and Deborah L. Ball. 2008. "Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching and the Mathematical Quality of Instruction: An Exploratory Study." Cognition and Instruction 26(4): 430-511.
- Schilling, Stephen G., Seán Delaney, Deborah L. Ball, Heather C. Hill, and Deborah Zopf. 2008. "Mathematical knowledge for teaching: adapting U.S. measures for use in Ireland." Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 11(3): 171-197.
- Stylianides, AndreasJ, and Deborah L. Ball. 2008. "Understanding and describing mathematical knowledge for teaching: knowledge about proof for engaging students in the activity of proving." Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 11(4): 307-332.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Francesca M. Forzani. 2007. "What Makes Education Research Educational?" Educational Researcher 36(9): 529-540.
- Cohen, D. K., and Deborah L. Ball. 2007. "Innovation and the problem of scale." Pp. 19-36 in Scale-up in education: Ideas in principle (Volume I), edited by Schneider, B., McDonald, S. Lanham,MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Hill, H., L. Sleep, J. Lewis, and Deborah L. Ball. 2007. "Assessing teachers' mathematical knowledge: What knowledge matters and what evidence counts?" Pp. 111-155 in Handbook of research on mathematics education, edited by Lester, F. Charlotte,NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Hill, Heather C., Deborah L. Ball, Merrie Blunk, Imani Masters Goffney, and Brian P. Rowan. 2007. "Validating the Ecological Assumption: The Relationship of Measure Scores to Classroom Teaching and Student Learning." Measurement: Interdisciplinary Research & Perspective 5(2/3): 107-118.
- Ball, Deborah L., Imani Masters Goffney, and Hyman Bass. 2005. "The role of mathematics instruction in building a socially just and diverse democracy." The Mathematics Educator 15(1): 2-6.
- Ball, Deborah L., Heather C. Hill, and Hyman Bass. 2005. "Who knows mathematics well enough to teach third grade and how can we decide?" American Educator 5(3): 14.
- Hill, Heather C., Brian P. Rowan, and Deborah L. Ball. 2005. "Effects of Teachers' Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching on Student Achievement." American Educational Research Journal 42(2): 371-406. American Educational Research Association. 1230 17th St. NW, Washington, DC 20036-3078. Tel: 202-223-9485; Fax: 202-775-1824; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: http://www.aera.net.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Brian P. Rowan. 2004. "Introduction: Measuring Instruction." Elementary School Journal 105(1): 3-10.
- Hill, Heather C., and Deborah L. Ball. 2004. "Learning Mathematics for Teaching: Results from California's Mathematics Professional Development Institutes." Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 35(5): 330-351. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Schilling, Stephen G., Deborah L. Ball, and Heather C. Hill. 2004. "Developing Measures of Teachers' Mathematics Knowledge for Teaching." The Elementary School Journal 105(1): 11.
- Ball, Deborah L., and Hyman Bass. 2003. "Making mathematics reasonable in school." Pp. 1-39 in Research compendium for the principles and standards fro school mathematics, edited by Martin, G. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Boaler, Jo, Deborah L. Ball, and Ruhama Even. 2003. "Preparing Mathematics Education Researchers for Disciplined Inquiry: Learning from, in, and for Practice." Pp. 491-521 in Second International Handbook of Mathematics Education, edited by Bishop, AlanJ, Clements, M. A., Keitel, Christine, Kilpatrick, Jeremy, Leung, FrederickK S. Springer Netherlands.
- Cohen, David K., Stephen W. Raudenbush, and Deborah L. Ball. 2003. "Resources, Instruction, and Research." Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis 25(2): 119-142.