L. Rowell Huesmann
Research Professor, RCGD
Professor, LSA Communication And Media
Huesmann’s research focuses on understanding the psychological foundations of aggressive behavior and in particular on understanding how the observations of others behaving violently influences the development of a youth’s aggressive and violent behavior and produces a contagion of violence. He specializes in conducting longitudinal studies of youth growing up over many years including the well-known Columbia County Longitudinal Study, the Oak Park Longitudinal Study, the Cross-National Television Study, the Metropolitan Area Child Study in Chicago, and his current Exposure to Violence Study for Palestinian and Israeli Youth. Over the past 45 years, Huesmann has authored over 100 widely cited scientific articles and books including Growing Up To Be Violent (1977), Television and the Aggressive Child (1986), and Aggressive Behavior (1994). He was Director of RCGD from 2006 to 2012 and was Editor of the international journal Aggressive Behavior from 2004 to 2012. He was the 2005 recipient of the American Psychological Association's award for Distinguished Lifetime Contributions to Media Psychology and in 2010 was elected a member of the USA National Academy of Science’s Institute of Medicine’s Forum on Global Violence Prevention. He is a past President of the International Society for Research on Aggression and a life member of Clare Hall College, Cambridge University, UK.
- Huesmann, L. Rowell, Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow, and Cathy Smith. 2019. "Anxiety, depression, and offending in the Columbia County longitudinal study: A prospective analysis from late adolescence to middle adulthood." Journal of Criminal Justice 62: 35-41.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Cathy Smith, Simha F. Landau, Shira Dvir Gvirsman, and Khalil Shikaki. 2019. "Serious violent behavior and antisocial outcomes as consequences of exposure to ethnic-political conflict and violence among Israeli and Palestinian youth." Aggressive Behavior 45(3): 287-299.
- Huesmann, L. Rowell. 2018. "An integrative theoretical understanding of aggression: a brief exposition." Current Opinion in Psychology 19: 119-124.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Cathy Smith, and Aaron E. Sedlar. 2018. "Aggression and criminality over three generations." 24 pages in Intergenerational Continuity of Criminal and Antisocial Behaviour, edited by Veroni I. Eichelsheim, Steve G. A. van de Weijer. Taylor and Francis.
- Bushman, Brad J., Eric F. Dubow, L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Sarah M. Coyne, Craig A. Anderson, Kaj Björkqvist, Kenneth A. Dodge, et al. 2018. "Risk factors for youth violence: Youth violence commission, International Society For Research On Aggression (ISRA)." Aggressive Behavior 44(4): 331-336.
- Huesmann, L. Rowell, Eric F. Dubow, Paul Boxer, Simha F. Landau, Shira Dvir Gvirsman, and Khalil Shikaki. 2017. "Children's exposure to violent political conflict stimulates aggression at peers by increasing emotional distress, aggressive script rehearsal, and normative beliefs favoring aggression." Development and Psychopathology 29(1): 39-50.
- Docherty, Meagan, Paul Boxer, L. Rowell Huesmann, Maureen Joan O'Brien, and Brad J. Bushman. 2017. "Assessing Callous-Unemotional Traits in Adolescents: Determining Cutoff Scores for the Inventory of Callous and Unemotional Traits." Journal of Clinical Psychology 73(3): 257-278.
- Dubow, Eric F., J. Lawrence Aber, Theresa S. Betancourt, E. Mark Cummings, and L. Rowell Huesmann. 2017. "Conducting longitudinal, process-oriented research with conflict-affected youth: Solving the inevitable challenges." Development and Psychopathology 29(1): 85-92.
- Rajchert, Joanna, Karolina Konopka, and L. Rowell Huesmann. 2017. "It is More than Thought that Counts: the Role of Readiness for Aggression in the Relationship Between Ostracism and Displaced Aggression." Current Psychology 36(3): 417-427.
- Docherty, Meagan, Paul Boxer, L. Rowell Huesmann, Maureen Joan O'Brien, and Brad J. Bushman. 2016. "Exploring Primary and Secondary Variants of Psychopathy in Adolescents in Detention and in the Community." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 45(5): 564-578.
- Niwa, Erika Y., Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow, L. Rowell Huesmann, Khalil Shikaki, Simha Landau, and Shira D. Gvirsman. 2016. "Growing Up Amid Ethno-Political Conflict: Aggression and Emotional Desensitization Promote Hostility to Ethnic Outgroups." Child Development 87(5): 1479-1492.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, and Cathy Smith. 2016. "Childhood and adolescent risk and protective factors for violence in adulthood." Journal of Criminal Justice 45: 26-31.
- Niwa, Erika Y., Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow, L. Rowell Huesmann, Simha Landau, Khalil Shikaki, and Shira Dvir Gvirsman. 2016. "Negative Stereotypes of Ethnic Outgroups: A Longitudinal Examination Among Palestinian, Israeli Jewish, and Israeli Arab Youth." Journal of Research on Adolescence 26(1): 166-179.
- Gvirsman, Shira Dvir, L. Rowell Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, Simha F. Landau, Paul Boxer, and Khalil Shikaki. 2016. "The Longitudinal Effects of Chronic Mediated Exposure to Political Violence on Ideological Beliefs About Political Conflicts Among Youths." Political Communication 33(1): 98-117.
- Kokko, Katja, Sharon Z. Simonton, Eric F. Dubow, L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Jennifer E. Lansford, Sheryl L. Olson, Lea Pulkkinen, et al. 2014. "Country, sex, and parent occupational status: Moderators of the continuity of aggression from childhood to adulthood." Aggressive Behavior 40(6): 552-567.
- Dvir Gvirsman, Shira, L. Rowell Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, Simha F. Landau, Khalil Shikaki, and Paul Boxer. 2014. "The Effects of Mediated Exposure to Ethnic-Political Violence on Middle East Youth's Subsequent Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms and Aggressive Behavior." Communication Research 41(7): 961-990.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, and Cathy Smith. 2014. "Childhood predictors and age 48 outcomes of self-reports and official records of offending." Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health 24(4): 291-304.
- Yang, Grace S., L. Rowell Huesmann, and Brad J. Bushman. 2014. "Effects of playing a violent video game as male versus female avatar on subsequent aggression in male and female players." Aggressive Behavior 40(6): 537-541.
- Yang, Grace S., Bryan Gibson, Adam K. Lueke, L. Rowell Huesmann, and Brad J. Bushman. 2014. "Effects of Avatar Race in Violent Video Games on Racial Attitudes and Aggression." Social Psychological and Personality Science 5(6): 698-704.
- Bushman, Brad J., and L. Rowell Huesmann. 2014. "Twenty-Five Years of Research on Violence in Digital Games and Aggression Revisited." European Psychologist 19(1): 47-55.
- Ybarra, Michele L., L. Rowell Huesmann, Josephine D. Korchmaros, and Sari L. Reisner. 2014. "Cross-sectional associations between violent video and computer game playing and weapon carrying in a national cohort of children." Aggressive Behavior 40(4): 345-358.
- Yang, Grace S., and L. Rowell Huesmann. 2013. "Correlations of Media Habits Across Time, Generations, and Media Modalities." Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media 57(3): 356-373.
- Dubow, Eric F., Paul Boxer, L. Rowell Huesmann, Simha Landau, Shira Dvir, Khalil Shikaki, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Cumulative Effects of Exposure to Violence on Posttraumatic Stress in Palestinian and Israeli Youth." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 41(6): 837-844.
- Huesmann, L. Rowell, Eric F. Dubow, Paul Boxer, Violet Souweidane, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Foreign Wars and Domestic Prejudice: How Media Exposure to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Predicts Ethnic Stereotyping by Jewish and Arab American Adolescents." Journal of Research on Adolescence 22(3): 556-570.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. Rowell Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Simha Landau, Shira Dvir, Khalil Shikaki, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Exposure to Political Conflict and Violence and Posttraumatic Stress in Middle East Youth: Protective Factors." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 41(4): 402-416.
- Krahé, Barbara, L. Rowell Huesmann, Brad J. Bushman, Leonard Berkowitz, Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Sarah M. Coyne, Karen E. Dill, Edward Donnerstein, et al. 2012. "Report of the Media Violence Commission." Aggressive Behavior 38(5): 335-341.
- Krahe, Barbara, Ingrid Moeller, Lucyna Kirwil, L. Rowell Huesmann, Juliane Felber, and Anja Berger. 2011. "Desensitization to Media Violence: Links With Habitual Media Violence Exposure, Aggressive Cognitions, and Aggressive Behavior." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 100(4): 630-646.
- Bates, John E., W. A. Collins, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, L. Rowell Huesmann, Justin Jager, and Jennifer E. Lansford. 2008. "Changes in the Relation of Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Behaviors Across Development." Child development 79(5): 1257-1269.