L. R. Huesmann
Research Professor, RCGD
Professor, LSA Communication Studies
Huesmann’s research focuses on understanding the psychological foundations of aggressive behavior and in particular on understanding how the observations of others behaving violently influences the development of a youth’s aggressive and violent behavior and produces a contagion of violence. He specializes in conducting longitudinal studies of youth growing up over many years including the well-known Columbia County Longitudinal Study, the Oak Park Longitudinal Study, the Cross-National Television Study, the Metropolitan Area Child Study in Chicago, and his current Exposure to Violence Study for Palestinian and Israeli Youth. Over the past 45 years, Huesmann has authored over 100 widely cited scientific articles and books including Growing Up To Be Violent (1977), Television and the Aggressive Child (1986), and Aggressive Behavior (1994). He was Director of RCGD from 2006 to 2012 and was Editor of the international journal Aggressive Behavior from 2004 to 2012. He was the 2005 recipient of the American Psychological Association's award for Distinguished Lifetime Contributions to Media Psychology and in 2010 was elected a member of the USA National Academy of Science’s Institute of Medicine’s Forum on Global Violence Prevention. He is a past President of the International Society for Research on Aggression and a life member of Clare Hall College, Cambridge University, UK.
- Exposure to Violence and Subsequent Weapons Use: Mediating and Moderating Processes. L. R. Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, Brad J. Bushman, Thomas M. Reischl. 2016-2021. NICHD.
- Effects on Children of Persistent Exposure to Political Violence: Follow-up. L. R. Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow. 2012-2016. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
- Huesmann, L. R. 2018. "An integrative theoretical understanding of aggression: a brief exposition." Current Opinion in Psychology 19: 119-124.
- Huesmann, L. R., Eric F. Dubow, Paul Boxer, Simha F. Landau, Shira Dvir Gvirsman, and Khalil Shikaki. 2017. "Children's exposure to violent political conflict stimulates aggression at peers by increasing emotional distress, aggressive script rehearsal, and normative beliefs favoring aggression." Development and Psychopathology 29(1): 39-50.
- Docherty, Meagan, Paul Boxer, L. R. Huesmann, Maureen Joan O'Brien, and Brad J. Bushman. 2017. "Assessing Callous-Unemotional Traits in Adolescents: Determining Cutoff Scores for the Inventory of Callous and Unemotional Traits." Journal of Clinical Psychology 73(3): 257-278.
- Dubow, Eric F., J. Lawrence Aber, Theresa S. Betancourt, E. Mark Cummings, and L. R. Huesmann. 2017. "Conducting longitudinal, process-oriented research with conflict-affected youth: Solving the inevitable challenges." Development and Psychopathology 29(1): 85-92.
- Rajchert, Joanna, Karolina Konopka, and L. R. Huesmann. 2017. "It is More than Thought that Counts: the Role of Readiness for Aggression in the Relationship Between Ostracism and Displaced Aggression." Current Psychology 36(3): 417-427.
- Docherty, Meagan, Paul Boxer, L. R. Huesmann, Maureen Joan O'Brien, and Brad J. Bushman. 2016. "Exploring Primary and Secondary Variants of Psychopathy in Adolescents in Detention and in the Community." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 45(5): 564-578.
- Niwa, Erika Y., Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow, L. R. Huesmann, Khalil Shikaki, Simha Landau, and Shira D. Gvirsman. 2016. "Growing Up Amid Ethno-Political Conflict: Aggression and Emotional Desensitization Promote Hostility to Ethnic Outgroups." Child Development 87(5): 1479-1492.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. R. Huesmann, Paul Boxer, and Cathy Smith. 2016. "Childhood and adolescent risk and protective factors for violence in adulthood." Journal of Criminal Justice 45: 26-31.
- Niwa, Erika Y., Paul Boxer, Eric F. Dubow, L. R. Huesmann, Simha Landau, Khalil Shikaki, and Shira Dvir Gvirsman. 2016. "Negative Stereotypes of Ethnic Outgroups: A Longitudinal Examination Among Palestinian, Israeli Jewish, and Israeli Arab Youth." Journal of Research on Adolescence 26(1): 166-179.
- Gvirsman, Shira Dvir, L. R. Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, Simha F. Landau, Paul Boxer, and Khalil Shikaki. 2016. "The Longitudinal Effects of Chronic Mediated Exposure to Political Violence on Ideological Beliefs About Political Conflicts Among Youths." Political Communication 33(1): 98-117.
- Kokko, Katja, Sharon Z. Simonton, Eric F. Dubow, L. R. Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Jennifer E. Lansford, Sheryl L. Olson, Lea Pulkkinen, et al. 2014. "Country, sex, and parent occupational status: Moderators of the continuity of aggression from childhood to adulthood." Aggressive Behavior 40(6): 552-567.
- Dvir Gvirsman, Shira, L. R. Huesmann, Eric F. Dubow, Simha F. Landau, Khalil Shikaki, and Paul Boxer. 2014. "The Effects of Mediated Exposure to Ethnic-Political Violence on Middle East Youth's Subsequent Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms and Aggressive Behavior." Communication Research 41(7): 961-990.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. R. Huesmann, Paul Boxer, and Cathy Smith. 2014. "Childhood predictors and age 48 outcomes of self-reports and official records of offending." Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health 24(4): 291-304.
- Yang, Grace S., L. R. Huesmann, and Brad J. Bushman. 2014. "Effects of playing a violent video game as male versus female avatar on subsequent aggression in male and female players." Aggressive Behavior 40(6): 537-541.
- Yang, Grace S., Bryan Gibson, Adam K. Lueke, L. R. Huesmann, and Brad J. Bushman. 2014. "Effects of Avatar Race in Violent Video Games on Racial Attitudes and Aggression." Social Psychological and Personality Science 5(6): 698-704.
- Bushman, Brad J., and L. R. Huesmann. 2014. "Twenty-Five Years of Research on Violence in Digital Games and Aggression Revisited." European Psychologist 19(1): 47-55.
- Ybarra, Michele L., L. R. Huesmann, Josephine D. Korchmaros, and Sari L. Reisner. 2014. "Cross-sectional associations between violent video and computer game playing and weapon carrying in a national cohort of children." Aggressive Behavior 40(4): 345-358.
- Yang, Grace S., and L. R. Huesmann. 2013. "Correlations of Media Habits Across Time, Generations, and Media Modalities." Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media 57(3): 356-373.
- Dubow, Eric F., Paul Boxer, L. R. Huesmann, Simha Landau, Shira Dvir, Khalil Shikaki, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Cumulative Effects of Exposure to Violence on Posttraumatic Stress in Palestinian and Israeli Youth." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 41(6): 837-844.
- Huesmann, L. R., Eric F. Dubow, Paul Boxer, Violet Souweidane, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Foreign Wars and Domestic Prejudice: How Media Exposure to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Predicts Ethnic Stereotyping by Jewish and Arab American Adolescents." Journal of Research on Adolescence 22(3): 556-570.
- Dubow, Eric F., L. R. Huesmann, Paul Boxer, Simha Landau, Shira Dvir, Khalil Shikaki, and Jeremy Ginges. 2012. "Exposure to Political Conflict and Violence and Posttraumatic Stress in Middle East Youth: Protective Factors." Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 41(4): 402-416.
- Krahé, Barbara, L. R. Huesmann, Brad J. Bushman, Leonard Berkowitz, Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Sarah M. Coyne, Karen E. Dill, Edward Donnerstein, et al. 2012. "Report of the Media Violence Commission." Aggressive Behavior 38(5): 335-341.
- Krahe, Barbara, Ingrid Moeller, Lucyna Kirwil, L. R. Huesmann, Juliane Felber, and Anja Berger. 2011. "Desensitization to Media Violence: Links With Habitual Media Violence Exposure, Aggressive Cognitions, and Aggressive Behavior." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 100(4): 630-646.
- Bates, John E., W. A. Collins, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, L. R. Huesmann, Justin Jager, and Jennifer E. Lansford. 2008. "Changes in the Relation of Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Behaviors Across Development." Child development 79(5): 1257-1269.