Research Investigator, SRC - Youth & Social Issues
Rebecca Evans-Polce's research focuses on social and contextual influences on tobacco, alcohol and marijuana use, and gender, racial/ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in substance use. Her research employs novel statistical methods to understand the complexity and dynamic nature of social and behavioral influences on substance use including time-varying effect models, latent class analysis and causal inference.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Megan E. Patrick, Stephanie T. Lanza, Richard A. Miech, Patrick M. O'Malley, and Lloyd D. Johnston. Forthcoming. "Reasons for Vaping among U.S. 12th Graders." Journal of Adolescent Health
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Megan S. Schuler, John E. Schulenberg, and Megan E. Patrick. Forthcoming. "Gender- and age-varying associations of sensation seeking and substance use across young adulthood." Addictive Behaviors
- Schuler, Megan S., Cara E. Rice, Rebecca Evans-Polce, and Rebecca L. Collins. 2018. "Disparities in substance use behaviors and disorders among adult sexual minorities by age, gender, and sexual identity." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 189: 139-146.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Jennifer L. Maggs, Jeremy Staff, and Stephanie T. Lanza. 2017. "The Age-Varying Association of Student Status with Excessive Alcohol Use: Ages 18 to 30 Years." Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 41(2): 407-413.
- Patrick, Megan E., Rebecca Evans-Polce, Deborah Denise Kloska, Jennifer L. Maggs, and Stephanie T. Lanza. 2017. "Age-Related Changes in Associations Between Reasons for Alcohol Use and High-Intensity Drinking Across Young Adulthood." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 78(4): 558-570. Alcohol Research Documentation, Inc.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Megan E. Patrick, and Patrick M. O'Malley. 2017. "Prospective Associations of 12th-Grade Drinking Intensity and Age 19/20 Driving-Related Consequences." Journal of Adolescent Health 61(3): 389-391-391. Elsevier.
- Vasilenko, Sara A., Rebecca Evans-Polce, and Stephanie T. Lanza. 2017. "Age trends in rates of substance use disorders across ages 18ñ90: Differences by gender and race/ethnicity." Drug and Alcohol Dependence 180(Supplement C): 260-264.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Stephanie Lanza, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2016. "Heterogeneity of alcohol, tobacco, and other substance use behaviors in US college students: A latent class analysis." Addictive Behaviors 53: 80-85.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, and Megan S. Schuler. 2016. "Rates of past-year alcohol treatment across two time metrics and differences by alcohol use disorder severity and mental health comorbidities." Drug and alcohol dependence 166: 194-201.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Jeremy Staff, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2016. "Alcohol abstention in early adulthood and premature mortality: Do early life factors, social support, and health explain this association?" Social science & medicine 163: 71-79.
- Staff, Jeremy, Jennifer L. Maggs, Kelsey Cundiff, and Rebecca Evans-Polce. 2016. "Childhood cigarette and alcohol use: Negative links with adjustment." Addictive Behaviors 62: 122-128.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Joao M. Castaldelli-Maia, Georg Schomerus, and Sara E. Evans-Lacko. 2015. "The downside of tobacco control? Smoking and self-stigma: A systematic review." Social science & medicine 145: 26-34.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Sara A. Vasilenko, and Stephanie T. Lanza. 2015. "Changes in gender and racial/ethnic disparities in rates of cigarette use, regular heavy episodic drinking, and marijuana use: Ages 14 to 32." Addictive Behaviors 41: 218-222. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD.
- Patrick, Megan E., Rebecca Evans-Polce, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2015. "Use of Alcohol Mixed With Energy Drinks and Its Consequences: The Authors Respond." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 76(2): 346-347. Alcohol Research Documentation, Inc.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Elaine E. Doherty, and Margaret E. Ensminger. 2014. "Taking a life course approach to studying substance use treatment among a community cohort of African American substance users." Drug and alcohol dependence 142: 216-223. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD.
- Juon, Hee-Soon, Rebecca Evans-Polce, and Margaret Ensminger. 2014. "Early Life Conditions of Overall and Cause-Specific Mortality Among Inner-City African Americans." American Journal of Public Health 104(3): 548-554. WASHINGTON; 800 I STREET, NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001-3710 USA: AMER PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOC INC.
- Patrick, Megan E., Rebecca Evans-Polce, and Jennifer L. Maggs. 2014. "Use of Alcohol Mixed With Energy Drinks as a Predictor of Alcohol-Related Consequences Two Years Later." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 75(5): 753-757. Alcohol Research Documentation, Inc.
- Evans-Polce, Rebecca, Alicia Hulbert, and Carl Latkin. 2013. "The Association of Multiple Neighborhood Perceptions with Depression among a Highly Impoverished Urban Sample." Journal of community psychology 41(1): 52-64. HOBOKEN; 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA: WILEY-BLACKWELL.
- Marrone, Gina F., Mane Paulpillai, Rebecca Evans-Polce, Edward G. Singleton, and Stephen J. Heishman. 2010. "Breath carbon monoxide and semiquantitative saliva cotinine as biomarkers for smoking." Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental 25(1): 80-83. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Heishman, Stephen J., Rebecca Evans-Polce, Edward G. Singleton, Kenneth H. Levin, Marc L. Copersino, and David A. Gorelick. 2009. "Reliability and validity of a short form of the Marijuana Craving Questionnaire." Drug and alcohol dependence 102(1–3): 35-40.