Faculty Associate, CPS
Professor, LSA Political Science
Christian Davenport's research interests include political conflict, such as human rights violations, genocide/politicide, torture, political surveillance, civil war and social movements, as well as measurement, racism and popular culture. Dr. Davenport is currently working on numerous books: Stopping State Repression (with Ben Appel); In Search of a Number: Rethinking Rwanda, 1994 (with Allan Stam); and, Understanding Untouchability (with numerous authors). He is also engaged in various projects concerning state-dissident interactions in the United States, India and Northern Ireland as well as a global project of Perpetrator-Victim Dyads for 1976-2006.
- Collaborative Research: An Organizational Approach to State Repression. (Christian Davenport) 2015-2019. National Science Foundation.
- Davenport, Christian, Håvard Mokleiv Nygård, Hanne Fjelde, and David Armstrong. 2019. "The Consequences of Contention: Understanding the Aftereffects of Political Conflict and Violence." Annual Review of Political Science 22(1): 361-377.
- Zhukov, Yuri, Christian Davenport, and Nadiya Kostyuk. 2019. "Introducing xSub: A new portal for cross-national data on subnational violence." Journal of Peace Research 56(4): 604-614.
- Sullivan, Christopher M., and Christian Davenport. 2018. "Resistance is mobile: Dynamics of repression, challenger adaptation, and surveillance in US 'Red Squad' and black nationalist archives." Journal of Peace Research 55(2): 175-189.
- Crabtree, Charles, Christian Davenport, Erica Chenoweth, Dana M. Moss, Jennifer Earl, Emily Hencken Ritter, and Christopher Sullivan. 2018. "Contentious Politics in the Trump Era." PS: Political Science & Politics 51(1): 17-25.
- Davenport, Christian, Erik Melander, and Patrick M. Regan. 2018. "The Peace Continuum: What It Is and How to Study It." Oxford University Press.
- Sullivan, Christopher Michael, and Christian Davenport. 2017. "The Rebel Alliance Strikes Back: Understanding the Politics of Backlash Mobilization." Mobilization 22(1): 39-56.
- Loyle, Cyanne E., and Christian Davenport. 2016. "Transitional Injustice: Subverting Justice in Transition and Postconflict Societies." Journal of Human Rights 15(1): 126-149.
- de Waal, Alex, Chad Hazlett, Christian Davenport, and Joshua Kennedy. 2014. "The epidemiology of lethal violence in Darfur: Using micro-data to explore complex patterns of ongoing armed conflict." Social Science & Medicine 120: 368-377.
- Loyle, Cyanne E., Christopher Sullivan, and Christian Davenport. 2014. "The Northern Ireland Research Initiative: Data on the Troubles from 1968 to 1998." Conflict Management and Peace Science 31(1): 94-106.
- Davenport, Christian. 2014. "How Social Movements Die." New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Nordas, Ragnhild, and Christian Davenport. 2013. "Fight the Youth: Youth Bulges and State Repression." American Journal of Political Science 57(4): 926-940.
- Davenport, Christian, and Priyamvada Trivedi. 2013. "Activism and awareness: Resistance, cognitive activation, and 'seeing' untouchability among 98,316 Dalits." Journal of Peace Research 50(3): 369-383.
- Sullivan, Christopher M., Cyanne E. Loyle, and Christian Davenport. 2012. "The Coercive Weight of the Past: Temporal Dependence and the Conflict-Repression Nexus in the Northern Ireland "Troubles"." International Interactions 38(4): 426-442.
- Davenport, Christian, and Molly Inman. 2012. "The State of State Repression Research Since the 1990s." Terrorism and Political Violence 24(4): 619-634.
- Davenport, Christian, and Will H. Moore. 2012. "The Arab Spring, Winter, and Back Again? (Re)Introducing the Dissent-Repression Nexus with a Twist." International Interactions 38(5): 704-713.