Sela V. Panapasa
Associate Research Scientist, RCGD
Dr. Panapasa studies family support and exchanges among the elderly in the Pacific with an emphasis on Fiji. Her work examines changes in elderly living arrangements and headship status in response to development. Her interests include intergenerational exchanges, family issues, race and ethnicity, island development and comparative studies.
- National Center for Pacific Islander Wellness. (Sela V. Panapasa) 2016-2018. Kresge Foundation.
- Baumhofer, N. Kau'i, Sela V. Panapasa, E. Francis Cook, Christina A. Roberto, and David R. Williams. Forthcoming. "Sociodemographic factors influencing island foods consumption in the Pacific Islander Health Study." Ethnicity & Health
- Galinsky, Adena M., Catherine Simile, Carla E. Zelaya, Tina Norris, and Sela V. Panapasa. 2019. "Surveying Strategies for Hard-to-Survey Populations: Lessons From the Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander National Health Interview Survey." American Journal of Public Health 109(10): 1384-1391.
- Baumhofer, N. Kau'i, Sela V. Panapasa, E. Francis Cook, and David R. Williams. 2018. "Association of cultural affinity and island food consumption in the Pacific Islander health study." Ethnicity & Health 0(0): 1-17.
- Panapasa, Sela V., James W. McNally, Steven G. Heeringa, and David R. Williams. 2015. "Impacts of Long-Term Obesity on the Health Status of Samoan and Tongan Men in the United States: Results from the Pacific Islander Health Study." Ethnicity & disease 25(3): 279-286. International Society on Hypertension in Blacks.
- Panapasa, Sela V., David R. Williams, Steven G. Heeringa, James S. Jackson, Cleopatra H. Caldwell, James W. McNally, D. Coral, L. Taumoepeau, et al. 2012. "Community-based participatory research approach to evidence-based research: lessons from the Pacific Islander American Health Study." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 6(1): 53-8.
- Cook, W., David R. Weir, Sela V. Panapasa, M. Ro, K. Ko, R. Bautista, L. Asato, C. Corina, et al. 2012. "Improving Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander health: national organizations leading community research initiatives." Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 6(1): 33-41.
- Panapasa, Sela V., M. K. Mau, David R. Williams, and James W. McNally. 2010. "Mortality Patterns of Native Hawaiians Across Their Lifespan: 1990-2000." American Journal of Public Health 100(11): 2304-2310.
- Panapasa, Sela V. 2009. "Social, Demographic, and Cultural Characteristics of Pacific Islanders." in Asian American Communities and Health: Context, Research, Policy, and Action, edited by Chau Trinh-Shevrin and Mariano Jose Rey. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Panapasa, Sela V. 2007. "Introduction on Social Support." in Experiencing Aging: A Social Gerontology Reader, edited by Ciambrone, Desiree and Voon Chin Phua. Deer Park, NY: Linus Publication Inc.
- Panapasa, Sela V., and J. Maharaj. 2003. "Oral health of older adults in Fiji: 1985-1999." Pacific Health Dialog 10(28-34).
- Panapasa finds Pacific Islanders in CA have higher health risks, lower insurance coverage than other Californians
- Panapasa comments on negative health effects for Samoans of some high-fat imported foods
- Panapasa and colleagues find high rates of smoking, obesity among Pacific Islanders
- Panapasa highlights need to understand health disparities of Pacific Island population in US