Susan H. Leonard
Associate Research Scientist, ICPSR
Dr. Leonard's work focuses on the relationship between human populations and their environments. Her research interests include historical epidemiology and mortality in emergent industrial cities of the Northeast United States; household dynamics and farming practices in grasslands settlement; and population dynamics in the U.S. Great Plains.
- Building an Arts Data Repository at ICPSR. (Susan H. Leonard) 2019-2024. National Endowment for the Arts.
- College and Beyond II: Outcomes of a Liberal Arts Education. (Paul N. Courant, Kevin Michael Stange, Margaret C. Levenstein, Susan H. Leonard, Timothy A. McKay, Susan M. Jekielek) 2018-2021. Mellon.
- Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness Studies (REES) Project at ICPSR. (Susan M. Jekielek, Susan H. Leonard) 2018-2019.
- Institutionalizing, Sustaining, and Enhancing The Registry of Efficacy and Effectiveness Studies. (Susan M. Jekielek, Susan H. Leonard, Margaret C. Levenstein) 2018-2020. US Department of Education.
- College and Beyond: The 21st Century -- Planning Grant Stage 2. (Paul N. Courant, Margaret C. Levenstein, Lynette F. Hoelter, Susan M. Jekielek, Susan H. Leonard) 2018-2018.
- College and Beyond: The 21st Century -- A Planning Grant. (Paul N. Courant, Margaret C. Levenstein, Susan M. Jekielek, Lynette F. Hoelter, Susan H. Leonard) 2018-2018. Mellon.
- FACTORS IN AGING: Best Practices in Archiving and Sharing Longitudinal Data Resources on Aging (Supplement). (James W. McNally, Jared A. Lyle, Susan H. Leonard) 2017-2022. NIA.
- EAGER: Collaborative Research: A Benchmark Data Linkage Repository (DLRep). (Margaret C. Levenstein, Susan H. Leonard) 2017-2019. NSF.
- Models of Demographic and Health Changes Following Military Conflict. (Susan H. Leonard) 2015-2019. NICHD.
- Multi-generational Demographic and Landholding Data: CMGPD-SC Public Release. (Susan H. Leonard, Lynette F. Hoelter) 2012-2017.
- Kum, Hye-Chung, Susan H. Leonard, Özgür Akgün, J. Trent Alexander, Luiza Antonie, Margaret C. Levenstein, and Amy O'Hara. 2018. "Establishing an International Data Linkage Repository Workgroup Toward a Benchmarking Repository." International Journal of Population Data Science 3(4).
- Leonard, Susan H., C. Robinson, and D. Anderton. 2017. "Immigration, Occupation, and Inequality in Emergent Nineteenth-Century New England Cities." Social Science History 41(4): 645-671.
- Gutmann, Myron P., Daniel G. Brown, Kenneth M. Sylvester, Paul W. Rhode, Susan H. Leonard, Angela R. Cunningham, James Dykes, Jani Little, et al. 2016. "Migration in the 1930s: Beyond the Dust Bowl." Social Science History 40(4): 707-740.
- Leonard, Susan H., C. Robinson, A. C. Swedlund, and D. L. Anderton. 2015. "The effects of wealth, occupation, and immigration on epidemic mortality from selected infectious diseases and epidemics in Holyoke township, Massachusetts, 1850-1912." Demographic Research 33: 1035-1046.
- Briggs, C., Susan H. Leonard, J. Marfany, and M. L. Nagata. 2015. "Thirty years of Continuity and Change." Continuity and Change 30(1): 1-1.
- Sylvester, Kenneth M., and Susan H. Leonard. 2015. "Revisiting wealth on the American frontier: the distribution of land in Kansas, 1875-1940." Pp. 165-186 in Lives in Transition: Longitudinal Analysis from Historical Sources, edited by P. Baskerville and K. Inwood. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Sylvester, Kenneth M., Daniel G. Brown, Susan H. Leonard, Emily Merchant, and Meghan Hutchins. 2015. "Exploring agent-level calculations of risk and returns in relation to observed land-use changes in the US Great Plains, 1870-1940." Regional Environmental Change 15(2): 301-315.
- Leonard, Susan H., Jefferey K. Beemer, and Douglas Anderton. 2012. "Immigration, wealth and the 'mortality plateau' in emergent industrial cities of nineteenth-century Massachusetts." Continuity and Change 27(3): 433-459.
- Alter, George C., Myron P. Gutmann, Susan H. Leonard, and Emily Merchant. 2012. "Introduction: Longitudinal Analysis of Historical-Demographic Data." Journal of Interdisciplinary History 42(4): 503-517.
- Rudzik, A., Susan H. Leonard, and L. L. Sievert. 2011. "Determinants of Tubal Ligation in Puebla, Mexico." Women and Health 51(4): 365-382.
- Leonard, Susan H., Myron P. Gutmann, and Glenn D. Deane. 2011. "Household and Farm Transitions in Environmental Context." Population and Environment 32(4): 287-317.
- Leonard, Susan H., Myron P. Gutmann, Glenn D. Deane, and Kenneth M. Sylvester. 2010. "Drought and the Lifecycle/Landuse Trajectory in Agricultural Households." in Demographic Responses to Economic and Environmental Crises, Proceedings of the IUSSP Seminar May 21-23, 2009, Reitaku University, edited by Satomi Kuroso, Tommy Bengtsson and Cameron Campbell. Kashiwa, Japan: Reitaku University.
- Sylvester, Kenneth M., Susan H. Leonard, and Myron P. Gutmann. 2006. "Demography and Environment in Grassland Settlement: Using Linked Longitudinal and Cross-Sectional Data to Explore Household/Agricultural Systems." History and Computing 14(1&2): 31-60.
- Beemer, Jeffrey K., Susan H. Leonard, and Douglas L. Anderson. 2005. "Sewers in the city: a case study of individual-level mortality and public health initiatives in Northampton, Massachusetts at the turn of the century." Journal of the History of Medicine and the Allied Sciences 28(1): 42-72.
- Anderton, D. L., and Susan H. Leonard. 2004. "Grammars of Death - an Analysis of Nineteenth-Century Literal Causes of Death From the Age of Miasmas to Germ Theory." Social Science History 28(1): 111-143.
- Leonard, Susan H., and Lynnette Leidy Sievert. 2003. "Risk factors for hysterectomy among Mexican American women in the US Southwest." American Journal of Human Biology 15(1): 38-47.
- Sievert, Lynette Leidy, and Susan H. Leonard. 2003. "Age at menopause in Puebla, Mexico." Human Biology 75(2): 205-226.
- Leonard, Susan H., and Deborah I. Rotman. 2003. "To the hogs? or to the house?: municipal water and gender relations." in Shared Spaces and Divided Places: Material Dimensions of Gender Relations and the American Historical Landscape, edited by Deborah L. Rotman and Ellen-Rose Savulis. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press.
- Leonard, Susan H., Douglas L. Anderton, and Alan C. Swedlund. 2000. "Methods and Validity of a Panel Study Using Record Linkage: Matching Death Records to a Geographic Census Sample in Two Massachusetts Towns, 1850-1912." Historical Methods 33(1).
- Leonard, Susan H. 1997. "Technology, Women's Labor and Compensation." in Population of the United States, edited by Anderton D, Barret R, Bogue D. Free Press: New York, NY.
- Leonard, Susan H., Robert Paynter, and Nancy Ladd Muller. 1994. "The Landscapes of the W.E.B. Dubois Boyhood Homesite: An Agenda for an Archaelogy of the Color Line." in Race, edited by Sanjek R, Gregory S. Rutgers University Press: Piscataway, NJ.