Mark A. Tessler
Research Professor, CPS
Professor, LSA Political Science
Mark Tessler specializes in Comparative Politics and Middle East Studies. He has studied and/or conducted field research in Tunisia, Israel, Morocco, Egypt and Palestine (West Bank and Gaza). He is one of the very few American scholars to have attended university and lived for extended periods in both the Arab world and Israel. He has also spent several years teaching and consulting in Sub-Saharan Africa. Many of Dr. Tessler's scholarly publications examine the nature, determinants and political implications of attitudes and values held by ordinary citizens the Middle East. Dr. Tessler has also written extensively on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Understanding Marginalized Communities in the Arab World through Social Science Research: Gaining Insight, Enhancing Capacity, Building Collaborations, Contributing to Solutions. (Mark A. Tessler) 2018-2019. Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Assessing Public Engagement in the Arab World: The Fifth Wave of the Arab Barometer. (Mark A. Tessler) 2017-2019. State Department.
- Developing the Arab Barometer in the Arab Gulf States. (Mark A. Tessler, Amaney Jamal, Michael David Robbins) 2017-2020. Qatar National Research Fund.
- Fostering a Culture of Research in Qatar: A Study of Public Involvement in and Attitudes toward Survey Research. (Mark A. Tessler) 2016-2019. Qatar National Research Fund.
- Testing the Effectiveness of Tailored Non-Formal Education Interventions Promoting Critical Thinking and Emotional Literacy in the Middle East. (Mark A. Tessler) 2015-2018. United States Agency for International Development.
- Amendment-West Bank-Testing the Effectiveness of Tailored Non-Formal Education Interventions Promoting Critical Thinking and Emotional Literacy in the Middle East . (Mark A. Tessler) 2015-2018. United States Agency for International Development.
- University of Michigan-Carnegie Arab Social Scientist Visitor Program. (Mark A. Tessler) 2013-2017. Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- The Social and Economic Survey Research Institute (SESRI): Second Five-Year Collaboration between Qatar University and The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan. (Mark A. Tessler, David A. Howell) 2013-2018. Qatar University.
- Tessler, Mark A. 2020. "Israel and Morocco: The Political Calculus of a "Moderate" Arab State (1990)." Pp. 213-246 in Religious Minorities in Non-Secular Middle Eastern and North African States, edited by Tessler, Mark. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Tessler, Mark A., Monte Palmer, Tawfic E. Farah, and Barbara Ibrahim. 2019. "The Evaluation And Application of Survey Research in the Arab World." Routledge.
- Gengler, Justin J., Mark A. Tessler, Russell Lucas, and Jonathan Forney. Forthcoming. "'Why Do You Ask?' The Nature and Impacts of Attitudes towards Public Opinion Surveys in the Arab World." British Journal of Political Science
- Yakter, Alon, and Mark A. Tessler. 2018. "Understanding Multiple Perspectives: The Contribution of a Short-Essay Assignment to Teaching about the Arab-Israeli Conflict." PS: Political Science & Politics 51(2): 434-439.
- Diop, Abdoulaye, Ashley E. Jardina, Mark A. Tessler, and Jill Wittrock. 2017. "Antecedents of trust among citizens and non-citizens in qatar." Journal of International Migration and Integration 18(1): 183-202.
- Tessler, Mark A., and Hafsa Tout. 2017. "Religion, Trust, and Other Determinants of Muslim Attitudes toward Gender Equality: Evidence and Insights from Fifty-Four Surveys in the Middle East and North Africa." Taiwan Journal of Democracy 13(2): 1-29.
- de Miguel, Carolina, Amaney A. Jamal, and Mark A. Tessler. 2015. "Elections in the Arab World: Why Do Citizens Turn Out?" Comparative Political Studies 48(11): 1355-1388.
- Tessler, Mark A. 2015. "Islam and Politics in the Middle East: Explaining the Views of Ordinary Citizens." Indiana University Press.
- Tessler, Mark A., Amaney Jamal, and Michael David Robbins. 2012. "New Findings on Arabs and Democracy." Journal of Democracy 23(4): 89-103.
- Robbins, Michael David, and Mark A. Tessler. 2012. "The Effect of Elections on Public Opinion Toward Democracy: Evidence From Longitudinal Survey Research in Algeria." Comparative Political Studies 45(10): 1255-1276.
- Moaddel, Mansoor, Mark A. Tessler, and Ronald F. Inglehart. 2008. "Saddam Hussein and the Sunni Insurgency: Findings from Values Surveys." Political Science Quarterly 123(4): 623-644.
- Moaddel, Mansoor, Mark A. Tessler, and Ronald F. Inglehart. 2008. "Foreign Occupation and National Pride." Public Opinion Quarterly 72(4): 677-705.
- Inglehart, Ronald F., Mansoor Moaddel, and Mark A. Tessler. 2007. "Xenophobia and in-group solidarity in Iraq : a natural experiment on the impact of insecurity." in Values and perceptions of the Islamic and Middle Eastern publics, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Inglehart, Ronald F., Mansoor Moaddel, and Mark A. Tessler. 2006. "Xenophobia and In-Group Solidarity in Iraq: A Natural Experiment on the Impact of Insecurity." Perspectives on Politics 4(3): 495-505.
- Tessler, Mark A., Mansoor Moaddel, and Ronald F. Inglehart. 2006. "What Do Iraqis Want?" Journal of Democracy 17(1): 38-50.
- Traugott, Michael W., F. Thomas Juster, Martha Scott Hill, Robert M. Groves, Beth-Ellen Pennell, David Featherman, Donald R. Kinder, David R. Weir, et al. 2002. "How Americans Responded: A Study of Public Reactions to 9/11/01." PS-Political Science & Politics 35(3): 511-516.