Phoebe C. Ellsworth
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Professor, Law School
- 426 Thompson Street, 5200 ISR
Phoebe Ellsworth's research centers around the relationship between people's interpretation of their situation and the emotions they experience (an appraisal theory of emotion). She is currently extending the basic theory to cultural similarities and differences in emotions, testing the relationships between social structure, appraisals, emotions and behavior. Dr. Ellsworth's work also covers the study of psychology and law, including jury behavior, the death penalty, eyewitness testimony and the use of social science in law.
- O'Brien, Ed, Alexander C. Kristal, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and Norbert W. Schwarz. 2018. "(Mis)imagining the good life and the bad life: Envy and pity as a function of the focusing illusion." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 75: 41-53.
- Lee, David S., Oscar Ybarra, Richard D. Gonzalez, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2018. "I-Through-We: How Supportive Social Relationships Facilitate Personal Growth." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 44(1): 37-48.
- Grossmann, Igor, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2017. "What are mixed emotions and what conditions foster them? Life-span experiences, culture and social awareness." Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences 15: 1-5.
- Grossmann, Igor, Alex C. Huynh, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2016. "Emotional Complexity: Clarifying Definitions and Cultural Correlates." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 111(6): 895-916.
- Ellsworth, Phoebe C., and Adrienne Dougherty. 2016. "Appraisals and Reappraisals in the Courtroom." Emotion Review 8(1): 20-25.
- Chen, Patricia, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and Norbert W. Schwarz. 2015. "Finding a Fit or Developing It: Implicit Theories About Achieving Passion for Work." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 41(10): 1411-1424.
- Wondra, Joshua D., and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2015. "An Appraisal Theory of Empathy and Other Vicarious Emotional Experiences." Psychological Review 122(3): 411-428.
- Bonem, Emily M., Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and Richard D. Gonzalez. 2015. "Age Differences in Risk: Perceptions, Intentions and Domains." Journal of Behavioral Decision Making 28(4): 317-330.
- Ellsworth, Phoebe C. 2014. "Basic Emotions and the Rocks of New Hampshire." Emotion Review 6(1): 21-26.
- Moors, Agnes, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, Klaus R. Scherer, and Nico H. Frijda. 2013. "Appraisal Theories of Emotion: State of the Art and Future Development." Emotion Review 5(2): 119-124.
- Ellsworth, Phoebe C. 2013. "Appraisal Theory: Old and New Questions." Emotion Review 5(2): 125-131.
- O'Brien, Ed, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and Norbert W. Schwarz. 2012. "Today's misery and yesterday's happiness: Differential effects of current life-events on perceptions of past wellbeing." Journal of experimental social psychology 48(4): 968-972.
- Demiralp, Emre, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, Renee J. Thompson, Jutta Mata, Susanne M. Jaeggi, Martin Buschkuehl, Lisa Feldman Barrett, Metin Demiralp, et al. 2012. "Feeling Blue or Turquoise? Emotional Differentiation in Major Depressive Disorder." Psychological Science 23(11): 1410-1416.
- O'Brien, Ed, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2012. "More Than Skin Deep: Visceral States Are Not Projected Onto Dissimilar Others." Psychological Science 23(4): 391-396.
- O'Brien, Ed, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2012. "Saving the Last for Best: A Positivity Bias for End Experiences." Psychological Science 23(2): 163-165.
- Grossmann, Igor, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and Ying-yi Hong. 2012. "Culture, Attention, and Emotion." Journal of Experimental Psychology-General 141(1): 31-36.
- Niiya, Yu, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2012. "Acceptability of Favor Requests in the United States and Japan." Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 43(2): 273-285.
- Lukacz, E. S., C. Sampselle, M. Gray, S. MacDiarmid, M. Rosenberg, Phoebe C. Ellsworth, and M. H. Palmer. 2011. "A healthy bladder: a consensus statement." International Journal of Clinical Practice 65(10): 1026-1036.
- Imada, Toshie, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 2011. "Proud Americans and Lucky Japanese: Cultural Differences in Appraisal and Corresponding Emotion." Emotion 11(2): 329-345.
- Ellsworth, Phoebe C., and Roger Tourangeau. 1981. "On our failure to disconfirm what nobody ever said." Journal of personality and social psychology 40(2): 363-369. US: American Psychological Association.
- Tourangeau, Roger, and Phoebe C. Ellsworth. 1979. "The role of facial response in the experience of emotion." Journal of personality and social psychology 37(9): 1519-1531. US: American Psychological Association.