Faculty Associate, RCGD
Professor, Soe-Educational Studies
Matthew Diemer is a developmental psychologist who examines how young people resist, challenge, and overcome racial, ethnic, socioeconomic and other constraints in school, college, work, and civic/ political institutions. He is particularly interested in how marginalized people develop critical consciousness, which is a careful analysis of societal inequalities, the motivation to produce social change, and participation in social or political action. His recent work examines best practices in conceptualizing and measuring social class, the validation of a critical consciousness scale, and how family wealth contributes to intergenerational success.
- Moore, Stephanie S., Carissa J. Schmidt, Justin E. Heinze, Matthew Diemer, and Marc A. Zimmerman. 2019. "College Status and Trajectories of Perceived Leadership Ability Among Emerging Adults." Emerging Adulthood 7(6): 478-489.
- Mathews, Channing J., Aixa D. Marchand, Matthew Diemer, Michael A. Medina, Josefina Bañales, Bernardette J. Pinetta, Abunya C. Agi, Stephanie M. Miller, et al. Forthcoming. "Mapping the Intersections of Adolescents' Ethnic-Racial Identity and Critical Consciousness." Adolescent Research Review
- Bañales, Josefina, Channing Mathews, Noorya Hayat, Nkemka Anyiwo, and Matthew Diemer. Forthcoming. "Latinx and Black young adults' pathways to civic/political engagement." Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology : No-Pagination Specified-No Pagination Specified.
- Diemer, Matthew, Adam M. Voight, Aixa D. Marchand, and Josefina Bañales. 2019. "Political identification, political ideology, and critical social analysis of inequality among marginalized youth." Developmental Psychology 55(3): 538-549.
- McKellar, Sarah E., Aixa D. Marchand, Matthew Diemer, Oksana Malanchuk, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2019. "Threats and Supports to Female Students' Math Beliefs and Achievement." Journal of Research on Adolescence 29(2): 449-465.
- Marchand, Aixa D., Rema Reynolds Vassar, Matthew Diemer, and Stephanie J. Rowley. 2019. "Integrating Race, Racism, and Critical Consciousness in Black Parents' Engagement With Schools." Journal of Family Theory & Review 11(3): 367-384.
- Broda, Michael, John Yun, Barbara Schneider, David S. Yeager, Gregory M. Walton, and Matthew Diemer. 2018. "Reducing Inequality in Academic Success for Incoming College Students: A Randomized Trial of Growth Mindset and Belonging Interventions." Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness 11(3): 317-338.
- Rapa, Luke J., Matthew Diemer, and Josefina Bañales. 2018. "Critical action as a pathway to social mobility among marginalized youth." Developmental Psychology 54(1): 127-137.
- Audet, Carolyn M., Matthew Diemer, Erin Graves, Ezequiel Barreto, Caroline De Schacht, Wu Gong, Bryan E. Shepherd, Arifo Aboobacar, et al. 2018. "Partners-based HIV treatment for seroconcordant couples attending antenatal and postnatal care in rural Mozambique: A cluster randomized trial protocol." Contemporary Clinical Trials 71: 63-69.
- Kozan, Saliha, Matthew Diemer, David L. Blustein, Michael Barnett, Catherine Wong, Alice Connors-Kellgren, James Haley, Amie Patchen, et al. 2017. "Awakening, Efficacy, and Action: A Qualitative Inquiry of a Social Justice-Infused, Science Education Program." Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy 17(1): 205-234.