Fabian T. Pfeffer
Faculty Associate, PSC
Research Assistant Professor, SRC-PSID
Assistant Professor, Sociology
Dr. Pfeffer's research focuses on the transmission of inequality across generations, often in cross-national comparative perspective. The aging component to his research focuses on associations in socio-economic well-being across multiple generations, including grandparents and their offspring. He currently serves as a Co-Investigator of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID).
- Linking 1940 U.S. Census Data to Five Modern Surveys of Health and Aging. Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2018-2018. NIH.
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2017 - 2020. David Scott Johnson, Katherine A. McGonagle, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Narayan Sastry, Robert F. Schoeni. 2017-2021. NSF.
- Health, Wealth, and Time Use Over the Life Course and Across Generations. Vicki A. Freedman, Charles C. Brown, Katherine A. McGonagle, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Robert F. Schoeni, Natalie Colabianchi, Steven G. Heeringa, Trivellore E. Raghunathan, Kenneth M. Langa, David Scott Johnson. 2016-2021. NIA.
- Transition to Adulthood within its Life Course & Intergenerational Family Context. Narayan Sastry, Katherine A. McGonagle, Robert F. Schoeni, William G. Axinn, Deirdre R. Bloome, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Paula Fomby, Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2016-2021. NICHD.
- Family Dynamics, Fertility, and Investments in Children Across Generations. Narayan Sastry, Katherine A. McGonagle, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Robert F. Schoeni, Steven G. Heeringa. 2016-2021. NICHD.
- Linking 1940 U.S. Census Data for Five Modern Surveys on Health and Aging . Fabian T. Pfeffer, Mary B. Ofstedal, Robert F. Schoeni, Vicki A. Freedman, David R. Weir. 2016-2018. NIA.
- How Accessible is the Top? The Changing Rigidity of High Incomes and Earnings. Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2016-2018. Sage, Russell, Foundation.
- How Rigid is the Wealth Structure and Why? Intergenerational Correlations in Family Wealth and their Sources.. Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2015-2017.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., and Alexandra Killewald. Forthcoming. "Generations of Advantage. Multigenerational Correlations in Family Wealth." Social Forces
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. 2018. "Growing Wealth Gaps in Education." Demography 55(3): 1033-1068.
- Hällsten, Martin, and Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2017. "Grand Advantage: Family Wealth and Grandchildren's Educational Achievement in Sweden." American Sociological Review 82(2): 328-360. SAGE Publications.
- Killewald, Alexandra, and Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2017. "Wealth Inequality and Accumulation." Annual Review of Sociology 43: 379-404.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., and Jamie Griffin. 2017. "Determinants of Wealth Fluctuation: Changes in Hard-To-Measure Economic Variables in a Panel Study." Methods, Data, and Analyses 11(1): 87-108.
- Prix, Irene, and Fabian T. Pfeffer. 2017. "Does Donald need Uncle Scrooge? Extended family wealth and children's educational attainment in the United States." Pp. 112-135-Education;Poverty & Inequality; in Social Inequality Across the Generations: The Role of Compensation and Multiplication in Resource Accumulation, edited by Erola, Jani, Kilpi-Jakonen, Elina. Northhampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., Robert F. Schoeni, Arthur Kennickell, and Patricia Andreski. 2016. "Measuring wealth and wealth inequality: Comparing two US surveys." Journal of economic and social measurement 41(2): 103-120. IOS Press.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., and Robert F. Schoeni. 2016. "How Wealth Inequality Shapes Our Future." RSF: The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences 2(6): 2-22. Russell Sage Foundation.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. 2015. "Equality and quality in education. A comparative study of 19 countries." Social science research 51: 350-368.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., and Florian R. Hertel. 2015. "How Has Educational Expansion Shaped Social Mobility Trends in the United States?" Social Forces 94(1): 143-180. Oxford University Press.
- Brand, J. E., Fabian T. Pfeffer, and S. Goldrick-Rab. 2014. "The Community College Effect Revisited: The Importance of Attending to Heterogeneity and Complex Counterfactuals." Sociological science 1: 448-465.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. 2014. "Multigenerational approaches to social mobility. A multifaceted research agenda." Inequality Across Multiple Generations 35: 1-12.
- Falk, Emily, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Kenneth M. Langa, John E. Schulenberg, Daniel P. Keating, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Colter M. Mitchell, Megan E. Patrick, et al. 2013. "What is a representative brain? Neuroscience meets population science." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110(44): 17615-17622.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., Sheldon H. Danziger, and Robert F. Schoeni. 2013. "Wealth Disparities Before and After the Great Recession." The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 650: 98-123.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. 2011. "Status attainment and wealth in the United States and Germany." in Persistance, privilege and parenting. The comparative study of intergenerational mobility, edited by Smeeding, Timothy, Erikson, Robert, Jantti, Markus. New York: Russell Sage.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T., and Sara Goldrick-Rab. 2009. "Beyond Access: Explaining Socioeconomic Differences in College Transfer." Sociology of Education 82(2): 101-125.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. 2008. "Persistent Inequality in Educational Attainment and its Institutional Context." European Sociological Review 24(5): 543-565.
- 3 Questions with Fabian Pfeffer
- Pfeffer: Wealth provided some Americans a "private safety net" during economic recovery
- Pfeffer on the growing wealth gap in college attainment
- Pfeffer comments on Fed report that reveals 20-year decline in net worth among American families
- Pfeffer charts family wealth's impact on social advantage over multiple generations in Sweden
- Pfeffer and Schoeni cover the economic and social dimensions of wealth inequality in this special issue
- Pfeffer says reasons for falling household wealth in the U.S. elusive, but it has been going on for a long time
- Back to the Future: Using future treatments to detect and reduce hidden bias in social science research
- Greg Duncan to present on the impacts of child and adolescent interventions: Mar. 11, 12pm, 1430 ISR-Thompson
- PRB report examines the impact of the Great Recession on older Americans
- Pfeffer and colleagues re-examine impacts of community college attendance
- Pfeffer says housing bubble masked decade-long growth in household net worth inequality
- Pfeffer, Danziger, and Schoeni find uneven wealth gains in slow recovery from recession
- Pfeffer says social mobility in US tied to parental wealth
- Pfeffer et al. find increase in college completion rates among disadvantaged students attending 2-year colleges
- Pfeffer discusses importance of preschool exposures to educational outcomes