Elizabeth FS Roberts
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Associate Professor, Anthropology
Dr. Roberts is an ethnographer of science, medicine, and technology. Her work has included research on assisted reproduction in the United States and Ecuador, reproductive governance in Latin America, transnational medical migrations, and, currently, environmental health science in the United States and Mexico. She is the Director of two ongoing team-based projects in Mexico City: "Mexican Exposures: A Bioethnographic Approach to Health and Inequality" and "Neighborhood Environments as Socio-Techno-bio Systems: Water Quality, Public Trust, and Health in Mexico City" (NESTSMX). In these projects she and her team trace the looping life conditions that shape bodily relations, challenging the notion of biology as fixed, universal, and apolitical.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2017. "Practicing population in Latin America." Perspectives on Science 25(5): 704-711.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2017. "What gets inside: Violent entanglements and toxic boundaries in Mexico City." Cultural Anthropology 32(4): 592-619.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS, and C. Sanz. 2017. "Bioethnography: A how-to guide for the twenty-first century." Pp. 749-775 in The Palgrave Handbook of Biology and Society, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Whitmarsh, Ian, and Elizabeth FS Roberts. 2016. "Nonsecular Medical Anthropology." Medical Anthropology 35(3): 203-208.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2016. "Gods, Germs, and Petri Dishes: Toward a Nonsecular Medical Anthropology." Medical Anthropology 35(3): 209-219.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2016. "Resources and race: assisted reproduction in Ecuador." Reproductive Biomedicine & Society Online 2: 47-53.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2015. "Food is love: And so, what then?" Biosocieties 10(2): 247-252.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2013. "Assisted existence: an ethnography of being in Ecuador." Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 19(3): 562-580.
- Morgan, Lynn M., and Elizabeth FS Roberts. 2012. "Reproductive governance in Latin America." Anthropology & Medicine 19(2): 241-254.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2012. "God's Laboratory: Assisted Reproduction in the Andes." Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS, and Nancy Scheper-Hughes. 2011. "Introduction: Medical Migrations." Body & Society 17(2-3): 1-30.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2011. "Abandonment and Accumulation: Embryonic Futures in the United States and Ecuador." Medical Anthropology Quarterly 25(2): 232-253.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2007. "Extra embryos: The ethics of cryopreservation in Ecuador and elsewhere." American Ethnologist 34(1): 181-199.
- Roberts, Elizabeth FS. 2006. "God's laboratory: Religious rationalities and modernity in Ecuadorian in vitro fertilization." Culture Medicine and Psychiatry 30(4): 507-536.