Christopher Jennings Fariss
Faculty Associate, CPS
Assistant Professor, LSA Political Science
Christopher Fariss' core research interest is in the politics of human rights, violence and repression. He uses computational methods to understand why governments around the world choose to torture, maim and kill individuals within their jurisdiction. Dr. Fariss' other projects cover a broad array of themes, ranging from foreign aid to American voting behavior, but all share a focus on computationally intensive methods and research design. These methodological tools, essential for analyzing "big data," open up new insights into the micro-foundations of state repression.
- Micro-Foundations of Conflict Escalation (MiCE). (Christopher Jennings Fariss) 2018-2020. Research Council of Norway.
- RAPID: Quasi-Experiment on the Effect of Disaster-induced Displacement. (Christopher Jennings Fariss) 2018-2019. NSF.
- Natural Experiments on the Relationships Among Drug Legalization, Crime, Violence, and Political Mobilization. (Christopher Jennings Fariss) 2017-2019.
- Collaborative Research: Sub-National Analysis of Repression Project. (Christopher Jennings Fariss) 2016-2019. National Science Foundation.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings, and Zachary M. Jones. 2018. "Enhancing Validity in Observational Settings When Replication is Not Possible." Political Science Research and Methods 6(2): 365-380.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings. 2018. "Are Things Really Getting Better? How To Validate Latent Variable Models of Human Rights." British Journal of Political Science 48(1): 275-282.
- Dancy, Geoff, and Christopher Jennings Fariss. 2017. "Rescuing Human Rights Law From International Legalism and its Critics." Human Rights Quarterly 39(1): 1-36.
- Bond, Robert M., Jaime E. Settle, Christopher Jennings Fariss, Jason J. Jones, and James H. Fowler. 2017. "Social Endorsement Cues and Political Participation." Political Communication 34(2): 261-281.
- Gee, Laura K., Jason J. Jones, Christopher Jennings Fariss, Moira Burke, and James H. Fowler. 2017. "The paradox of weak ties in 55 countries." Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 133: 362-372.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings, and Geoff Dancy. 2017. "Measuring the Impact of Human Rights: Conceptual and Methodological Debates." Annual Review of Law and Social Science 13(1).
- Shakya, Holly B., Christopher Jennings Fariss, Christopher Ojeda, Anita Raj, and Elizabeth Reed. 2017. "Social Network Clustering of Sexual Violence Experienced by Adolescent Girls." American Journal of Epidemiology 186(7): 796-804.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings. 2017. "The Changing Standard of Accountability and the Positive Relationship between Human Rights Treaty Ratification and Compliance." British Journal of Political Science 48: 239-271.
- Wood, Jonathan S., Eric T. Donnell, and Christopher Jennings Fariss. 2016. "A method to account for and estimate underreporting in crash frequency research." Accident Analysis and Prevention 95: 57-66.
- Settle, Jaime E., Robert M. Bond, Lorenzo Coviello, Christopher Jennings Fariss, James H. Fowler, and Jason J. Jones. 2016. "From Posting to Voting: The Effects of Political Competition on Online Political Engagement." Political Science Research and Methods 4(2): 361-378.
- Brown, Cameron S., Christopher Jennings Fariss, and R. Blake McMahon. 2016. "Recouping after Coup-Proofing: Compromised Military Effectiveness and Strategic Substitution." International Interactions 42(1): 1-30.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings, Fridolin J. Linder, Zachary M. Jones, Charles D. Crabtree, Megan A. Biek, Ana-Sophia M. Ross, Taranamol Kaur, and Michael Tsai. 2015. "Human Rights Texts: Converting Human Rights Primary Source Documents into Data." Plos One 10(9): e0138935.
- Lake, David A., and Christopher Jennings Fariss. 2014. "Why International Trusteeship Fails: The Politics of External Authority in Areas of Limited Statehood." Governance-an International Journal of Policy Administration and Institutions 27(4): 569-587.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings, and Keith E. Schnakenberg. 2014. "Measuring Mutual Dependence between State Repressive Actions." Journal of Conflict Resolution 58(6): 1003-1032.
- Fariss, Christopher Jennings. 2014. "Respect for Human Rights has Improved Over Time: Modeling the Changing Standard of Accountability." American Political Science Review 108(2): 297-318.
- Markowitz, Jonathan N., and Christopher Jennings Fariss. 2013. "Going the Distance: The Price of Projecting Power." International Interactions 39(2): 119-143.
- Jones, Jason J., Robert M. Bond, Christopher Jennings Fariss, Jaime E. Settle, Adam D. I. Kramer, Cameron Marlow, and James H. Fowler. 2013. "Yahtzee: An Anonymized Group Level Matching Procedure." Plos One 8(2): e55760.
- Jones, Jason J., Jaime E. Settle, Robert M. Bond, Christopher Jennings Fariss, Cameron Marlow, and James H. Fowler. 2013. "Inferring Tie Strength from Online Directed Behavior." Plos One 8(1): e52168.
- Bond, Robert M., Christopher Jennings Fariss, Jason J. Jones, Adamd I. Kramer, Cameron Marlow, Jaime E. Settle, and James H. Fowler. 2012. "A 61-million-person experiment in social influence and political mobilization." Nature 489(7415): 295-298.
- Hafner-Burton, Emilie M., Laurence R. Helfer, and Christopher Jennings Fariss. 2011. "Emergency and Escape: Explaining Derogations from Human Rights Treaties." International Organization 65(4): 673-707.