Deirdre R. Bloome
Faculty Associate, PSC
Faculty Associate, SRC-PSID
Assistant Professor, Sociology
Deirdre Bloome's research uses demographic and statistical techniques to analyze how patterns of social stratification are produced and reproduced in the US. Her current research interests include the relationships among economic inequality, mobility, and insecurity, the evolution of racial inequality in income and family structure, and statistical methods for characterizing population heterogeneity.
- Bloome, Deirdre R., Derek Burk, and Leslie McCall. 2019. "Economic Self-Reliance and Gender Inequality between U.S. Men and Women, 1970-2010." American Journal of Sociology 124(5): 1413-1467.
- Bloome, Deirdre R., Shauna Dyer, and Xiang Zhou. 2018. "Educational Inequality, Educational Expansion, and Intergenerational Income Persistence in the United States." American Sociological Review 83(6): 1215-1253.
- Bloome, Deirdre R., James Feigenbaum, and Christopher Muller. 2017. "Tenancy, Marriage, and the Boll Weevil Infestation, 1892-1930." Demography 54(3): 1029-1049.
- Bloome, Deirdre R. 2017. "Childhood Family Structure and Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States." Demography 54(2): 541-569.
- Western, B., Deirdre R. Bloome, B. Sosnaud, and L. Tach. 2016. "Trends in Income Insecurity Among U.S. Children, 1984-2010." Demography 53(2): 419-447.
- Bloome, Deirdre R., and C. Muller. 2015. "Tenancy and African American Marriage in the Postbellum South." Demography 52(5): 1409-1430.
- Bloome, Deirdre R. 2015. "Income Inequality and Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States." Social Forces 93(3): 1047-1080.
- Bloome, Deirdre R. 2014. "Racial Inequality Trends and the Intergenerational Persistence of Income and Family Structure." American Sociological Review 79(6): 1196-1225.
- Western, Bruce, Deirdre R. Bloome, Benjamin Sosnaud, and Laura Tach. 2012. "Economic Insecurity and Social Stratification." Annual Review of Sociology 38: 341-359.
- Bloome, Deirdre R., and Bruce Western. 2011. "Cohort Change and Racial Differences in Educational and Income Mobility." Social Forces 90(2): 375-395.
- Western, Bruce, and Deirdre R. Bloome. 2009. "Variance Function Regressions for Studying Inequality." Sociological Methodology 39: 293-326.
- Western, Bruce, Deirdre R. Bloome, and Christine Percheski. 2008. "Inequality among American Families with Children, 1975-2005." American Sociological Review 73(6): 903-920.
- Bloome wins a 2020 William Julius Wilson Early Career Award from Inequality, Poverty, and Mobility section of the ASA
- PSC Researchers & Trainees presenting latest research findings at PAA 2019
- Bloome finds children raised outside stable 2-parent families more likely to become low-income adults, regardless of parents' income
- Deirdre Bloome wins ASA award for work on racial inequality and intergenerational transmission
- Bloome says racial residential segregation is self-perpetuating
- Bloome comments on Moynihan's controversial 1965 call for national action to strengthen black families