Louis A. Penner
Adjunct Research Scientist, RCGD
Adjunct Research Scientist, Psychology
- 6134 ISR
Professor Penner's research interest is in psychosocial variables as they affect reactions to life-threatening diseases and the quality of healthcare people receive. He is currently the PI on an NCI grant that focuses on situational and dispositional influences on treatment-related stress among pediatric cancer patients and their families He is also a Co-PI on another NCI grant, in which he studies the impact of race-related attitudes on the quality of cancer treatment racial/ethnic minority patients receive.
- Bai, Jinbing, Kristen Swanson, Felicity W. K. Harper, Louis A. Penner, and Sheila J. Santacroce. Forthcoming. "Parent Caring Response Scoring System: development and psychometric evaluation in the context of childhood cancer-related port starts." Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences
- Manning, Mark, Terrance L. Albrecht, Louis A. Penner, and Kristen Purrington. 2019. "Between-Race Differences in Processes Predicting Physician Communication for African American and European American Recipients of Breast Density Notifications." Annals of Behavioral Medicine 53(8): 721-731.
- Harper, Felicity W. K., Terrance L. Albrecht, Christopher J. Trentacosta, Jeffrey W. Taub, Sean Phipps, and Louis A. Penner. 2019. "Understanding differences in the long-term psychosocial adjustment of pediatric cancer patients and their parents: an individual differences resources model." Translational Behavioral Medicine 9(3): 514-522.
- Hamel, Lauren M., Robert Moulder, Susan Eggly, Terrance Lynn Albrecht, Steven Boker, David W. Dougherty, and Louis A. Penner. 2019. "Comparing nonverbal synchrony in racially concordant and racially discordant oncology interactions." Journal of Clinical Oncology 37(15_suppl): 11525.
- Hamel, Lauren M., Louis A. Penner, David W. Dougherty, Mark A. Manning, Terrance Lynn Albrecht, Elisabeth I. Heath, Michael Anthony Carducci, Dina Lansey, et al. 2019. "Unpacking clinical trial offers: A qualitative analysis of interactions with physicians and patients potentially eligible for a prostate cancer trial." Journal of Clinical Oncology 37(15_suppl): e23169.
- Barton, Ellen, Tanina Foster Moore, Lauren Hamel, Louis A. Penner, Terrance Albrecht, and Susan Eggly. Forthcoming. "The influence of a question prompt list on patient-oncologist information exchange in an African-American population." Patient Education and Counseling
- Bai, Jinbing, Kristen M. Swanson, Felicity W. K. Harper, Sheila J. Santacroce, and Louis A. Penner. 2018. "Longitudinal Analysis of Parent Communication Behaviors and Child Distress during Cancer Port Start Procedures." Pain Management Nursing 19(5): 487-496.
- Vrana, Scott R., Dylan T. Vrana, Louis A. Penner, Susan Eggly, Richard B. Slatcher, and Nao Hagiwara. 2018. "Latent Semantic Analysis: A new measure of patient-physician communication." Social Science & Medicine 198: 22-26.
- Dovidio, John F., Adam Pearson, and Louis A. Penner. 2018. "Aversive Racism, Implicit Bias, and Microaggressions." in Microaggression Theory: Influence and Implications, edited by Torino, Gina C., Rivera, David P., Capodilupo, Christina M., Nadal, Kevin L., Sue, Derald Wing. John Wiley & Sons.
- Penner, Louis A., John F. Dovidio, Mark A. Manning, Terrance L. Albrecht, and Michelle van Ryn. 2018. "Doing Harm to Some: Patient and Provider Attitudes and Healthcare Disparities." in Handbook of Attitudes, Volume 2: Applications, edited by Albarracin, Dolores, Johnson, Blair T. Routledge.
- Hamel, Lauren M., Robert Moulder, Terrance L. Albrecht, Steven Boker, Susan Eggly, and Louis A. Penner. 2018. "Nonverbal synchrony as a behavioural marker of patient and physician race-related attitudes and a predictor of outcomes in oncology interactions: protocol for a secondary analysis of video-recorded cancer treatment discussions." BMJ Open 8(12): e023648.
- Eggly, Susan, Richard D. Gonzalez, Louis A. Penner, Lauren M. Hamel, Tanina S. Foster, Terrance L. Albrecht, Robert Chapman, Felicity W. K. Harper, et al. 2017. "Randomized trial of a question prompt list to increase patient active participation during interactions with black patients and their oncologists." Patient Education and Counseling 100(5): 818-826.
- Eggly, Susan, Louis A. Penner, Lauren M. Hamel, Elisabeth Heath, Mark A. Manning, Terrance L. Albrecht, Ellen Barton, Mark Wojda, et al. 2017. "Partnering around cancer clinical trials (PACCT): study protocol for a randomized trial of a patient and physician communication intervention to increase minority accrual to prostate cancer clinical trials." BMC Cancer 17: 807.
- Manning, Mark, Terrance L. Albrecht, Zeynep Yilmaz-Saab, Louis A. Penner, Andria Norman, and Kristen Purrington. 2017. "Explaining between-race differences in African-American and European-American women's responses to breast density notification." Social Science & Medicine 195: 149-158.
- Dovidio, John, Louis A. Penner, Sarah Calabrese, and rebecca Pearl. 2017. "Physical Health disparities and Stigma: Race, Sexual Orientation, and Body Weight." in The Oxford Handbook of Stigma, Discrimination, and Health, edited by Major, Brenda, Dovidio, John F., Link, Bruce G. Oxford University Press.
- Bai, J., F. W. K. Harper, Louis A. Penner, K. Swanson, and S. J. Santacroce. 2017. "Parents' Verbal and Nonverbal Caring Behaviors and Child Distress During Cancer-Related Port Access Procedures: A Time-Window Sequential Analysis." Oncology Nursing Forum 44(6): 675-687.
- Penner, Louis A., Felicity W. K. Harper, John F. Dovidio, Terrance L. Albrecht, Lauren M. Hamel, Nicole Senft, and Susan Eggly. 2017. "The impact of Black cancer patients' race-related beliefs and attitudes on racially-discordant oncology interactions: A field study." Social Science & Medicine 191: 99-108.
- Chou, Wen-ying Sylvia, Lauren M. Hamel, Chan L. Thai, David Debono, Robert A. Chapman, Terrance L. Albrecht, Louis A. Penner, and Susan Eggly. 2017. "Discussing prognosis and treatment goals with patients with advanced cancer: A qualitative analysis of oncologists' language." Health Expectations 20(5): 1073-1080.
- Harawa, Nina T., Louis A. Penner, Spero M. Manson, Carol M. Mangione, Keith C. Norris, Charles DeCarli, Isabel C. Scarinci, Julie Zissimopoulos, et al. 2017. "Strategies for enhancing research in aging health disparities by mentoring diverse investigators." Journal of Clinical and Translational Science 1(3): 167-175.
- Penner, Louis A., Richard D. Gonzalez, John F. Dovidio, Terrance L. Albrecht, Robert Chapman, Tanina Foster, Felicity W. K. Harper, Nao Hagiwara, et al. 2016. "The Effects of Oncologist Implicit Racial Bias in Racially Discordant Oncology Interactions." Journal of Clinical Oncology 34(24): 2874-+.
- Hagiwara, Nao, Louis A. Penner, Richard D. Gonzalez, and Terrance L. Albrecht. 2013. "Within-Group Health Disparities Among Blacks: The Effects of Afrocentric Features and Unfair Treatment." Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology 19(4): 477-480.
- Hagiwara, Nao, Louis A. Penner, Richard D. Gonzalez, Susan Eggly, John F. Dovidio, Samuel L. Gaertner, Tessa West, and Terrance L. Albrecht. 2013. "Racial attitudes, physician-patient talk time ratio, and adherence in racially discordant medical interactions." Social Science & Medicine 87: 123-131.
- Eggly, Susan, Louis A. Penner, Nao Hagiwara, Richard D. Gonzalez, Felicity W. K. Harper, Elisabeth I. Heath, and Terrance L. Albrecht. 2013. "Patient, companion, and oncologist agreement regarding information discussed during triadic oncology clinical interactions." Psycho-Oncology 22(3): 637-645.
- Orom, Heather, Louis A. Penner, Brady T. West, Tracy M. Downs, Walter Rayford, and Willie Underwood. 2009. "Personality predicts prostate cancer treatment decision-making difficulty and satisfaction." Psycho-oncology 18(3): 290-299.
- Copeland, L. A., M. A. Elshaikh, James S. Jackson, Louis A. Penner, and W. Underwood. 2005. "Impact of brachytherapy on regional, racial, marital status, and age-related patterns of definitive treatment for clinically localized prostate carcinoma." Cancer 104(7): 1372-1380.