Arun Agrawal’s research and teaching emphases are on the politics of international development, institutional change and environmental conservation. He has written extensively on 1) indigenous knowledge, 2) community-based conservation, 3) common property, 4) population and resources, and 5) environmental identities. Recent interests include the decentralization of environmental policy (especially forestry and wildlife), and the emergence of environment as a subject of human concern. Geographical focus on South Asia although recent projects include other developing countries in Africa and Latin America.
- Liao, Chuan, Jung, Suhyun, Brown, Daniel G., Arun Agrawal. 2024. Does land tenure change accelerate deforestation? A matching-based four-country comparison. Ecological Economics 215:108011.
- Arun Agrawal, James Erbaugh, Nabin Pradhan. 2023. The Commons. Annual Reviews 48
- Liao, Chuan, Liu, Juan, Arun Agrawal. 2023. Sustainability governance for agrarian transformation under climate change. Sustainability Science
- Agrawal, Arun, Entwistle, Julia, Brown, Daniel G., Chesterman, Nathan S, Chambers, Matthew C, Liu, Hsiao-Chin . 2019. The effects of trainings in soil and water conservation on farming practices, livelihoods, and land-use intensity in the Ethiopian highlands. Land Use Policy 87:104051.
- Agrawal, Arun, Hajjar, Reem , Ayana, Alemayehu N, Rutt, Rebecca , Hinde, Omer , Liao, Chuan , Keene, Stephanie , Bandiaky-Badji, Solange . 2019. Capital, labor, and gender: the consequences of large-scale land transactions on household labor allocation. The Journal of Peasant Studies :1-23.
- Agrawal, Arun, Oldekop, Johan A, Sims, Katharine R. E., Karna, Birendra K, Whittingham, Mark J. 2019. Reductions in deforestation and poverty from decentralized forest management in Nepal. Nature Sustainability 2(5):421-428.
- Agrawal, Arun, Hajjar, R , Newton, P , Adshead, D , Bogaerts, M , Maguire-Rajpaul, V A, Pinto, L F. G., McDermott, C L, Milder, J C, Wollenberg, E . 2019. Scaling up sustainability in commodity agriculture: Transferability of governance mechanisms across the coffee and cattle sectors in Brazil. Journal of Cleaner Production 206:124-132.
- Agrawal, Arun, Brown, Daniel G., Sullivan, Jonathan A. 2019. Are Global Land Grabs Ticking Socio-environmental Bombs or Just Inefficient Investments?. One Earth 1(2):159-162.
- Agrawal, Arun, Oldekop, Johan A, Sims, Katharine R. E., Whittingham, Mark J. 2018. An upside to globalization: International outmigration drives reforestation in Nepal. Global Environmental Change 52:66-74.
- Agrawal, Arun, Brandt, Jodi S, Nolte, Christoph . 2018. Deforestation and timber production in Congo after implementation of sustainable management policy: A response to Karsenty et al. (2017). Land Use Policy 77:375-378.