Kelly M Askew
Kelly Askew is Director of the African Studies Center and Professor of Anthropology and DAAS. She has worked for over two decades in Tanzania and Kenya. Her current research focuses on African postsocialism/postcommunism, poetic and performing arts, land tenure and property rights, pastoralism, and indigenous political movements.
Recent film projects include:
- Poetry in Motion: 100 Years of Zanzibar’s Nadi Ikhwan Safaa (Buda Musique) on Zanzibar’s oldest taarab orchestra
- The Chairman and the Lions (Documentary Educational Resources, 2013), which won 1st place at the ETNOFilm Festival (Croatia, 2013) and a Special Jury Award at the Zanzibar International Film Festival (Tanzania, 2013).
- Askew, Kelly M, Bluwstein, Jevgeniy , Lund, Jens Friis, Stein, Howard , Noe, Christine , Odgaard, Rie , Maganga, Faustin , Engström, Linda . 2018. Between dependence and deprivation: The interlocking nature of land alienation in Tanzania. Journal of Agrarian Change 18(4):806-830.
- Askew, Kelly M. 2017. Building a peaceful Nation: Julius Nyerere and the establishment of sovereignty in Tanzania, 1960-1964. Canadian Journal of African Studies / Revue canadienne des etudes africaines 51(1):168-170.
- Askew, Kelly M, Stein, Howard , Maganga, Faustin P, Odgaard, Rie , Cunningham, Sam . 2016. The Formal Divide: Customary Rights and the Allocation of Credit to Agriculture in Tanzania. Journal of Development Studies 52(9):1306-1319.
- Agrawal, Arun, Askew, Kelly M, Golrokhian, Arman , Browne, Katherine , Hardin, Rebecca , Beny, Laura , Larroquette, Benjamin , Morse, Benjamin . 2016. A National Adaptation Programme of Action: Ethiopia's responses to climate change. World Development Perspectives 1:53-57.
- Askew, Kelly M. 2015. 'Eat squid not fish': poetics, aesthetics, and HIV/AIDS in Tanzania. Journal of African Cultural Studies 27(3):255-276.
- Askew, Kelly M. 2014. Tanzanian newspaper poetry: political commentary in verse. Journal of Eastern African Studies 8(3):515-537.
- Askew, Kelly M, Maganga, Faustin , Odgaard, Rie . 2013. Of Land and Legitimacy: A Tale of Two Lawsuits. Africa 83(1):120-141.