Deborah Loewenberg Ball
Deborah Loewenberg Ball is the William H. Payne Collegiate Professor in education at the University of Michigan, and an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor. She currently serves as dean of the School of Education and as director of TeachingWorks. She taught elementary school for more than 15 years, and continues to teach mathematics to elementary students every summer. Her research focuses on the practice of mathematics instruction, and on the improvement of teacher training and development. She is an expert on teacher education, with a particular interest in how professional training and experience combine to equip beginning teachers with the skills and knowledge needed for responsible practice. Ball has authored or co-authored more than 150 publications and has lectured and made numerous major presentations around the world. Her research has been recognized with several awards and honors, and she has served on several national and international commissions and panels focused on policy initiatives and the improvement of education, including the National Mathematics Advisory Panel and the Commission on the Future of Undergraduate Education. She serves on the National Science Board and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute Board of Trustees, and chairs the Spencer Foundation Board of Directors. Ball has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Education, and is a fellow of the American Mathematics Society and the American Educational Research Association.
- Ball,Deborah Loewenberg. 2022. Reimagining American Education: Possible Futures: Coming to terms with the power of teaching. Phi Delta Kappan 103(7):51-55.
- Mark Hoover, Ball,Deborah Loewenberg. 2021. Practice-based research on the teaching of mathematics: progress and imperatives for the future. Nordic Studies in Mathematics Education 26(3-4):171-190.
- Meghan Shaughnessy, Nicole M. Garcia, Michaela Krug O’Neill, Sarah Kate Selling, Amber T. Willis, Charles E. Wilkes, Sabrina Bobsin Salazar, Ball, Deborah Loewenberg. 2021. Formatively assessing prospective teachers? skills in leading mathematics discussions. Educational Studies in Mathematics
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Shaughnessy, Meghan , Garcia, Nicole . 2017. A Laboratory Approach to the Professional Development of Elementary Mathematics Specialists. Elementary Mathematics Specialists: Developing, Refining, and Examining Programs That Support Mathematics Teaching and Learning :123-131.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Selling, Sarah Kate, Garcia, Nicole . 2016. What Does it Take to Develop Assessments of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching?: Unpacking the Mathematical Work of Teaching. The Mathematics Enthusiast 13:35-51.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Hoover, Mark , Mosvold, Reidar , Lai, Yvonne . 2016. Making Progress on Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching. The Mathematics Enthusiast 13(1-2):3-34.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Hyman Bass, Timothy A. Boerst, Laurie Sleep. 2013. Combining the development of practice and the practice of development in teacher education. The Elementary School Journal 109(5):458-474.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Francesca M. Forzani. 2013. Building a common core for learning to teach: and connecting professional learning to practice. American Educator 35(Summer):17-39.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Corey, Douglas Lyman, Demonte, Jenny , Harrison, Delena , Phelps, Geoffrey . 2012. Explaining Variation in Instructional Time: An Application of Quantile Regression. Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis 34(2):146-163.
- Ball, Deborah Loewenberg, Forzani, Francesca M. 2011. Building a common core for learning to teach: and connecting professional learning to practice. American Educator 35(Summer):17-39.