Lizbeth 'Libby' Benson
- Email Lizbeth 'Libby' Benson
Lizbeth ‘Libby’ Benson, PhD, is a Research Assistant Professor in the Data Science for Dynamic Intervention Decision Making Center (d3c) at the University of Michigan’s Survey Research Center and Institute for Social Research. Before moving to Michigan, Libby completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the TSET Health Promotion Research Center within the NCI-designated Stephenson Cancer Center and University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. She received her PhD from the Pennsylvania State University in the department of Human Development and Family Studies and her BA in Psychology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Libby’s research program is focused on intensive longitudinal, computational, and machine learning methods for examining temporal dynamics of affective, social and health behavior experiences using ecological momentary assessment and sensor-based data collected from individuals in their daily lives. Her goals are to understand how behavioral processes unfold across multiple time-scales and contexts, and how this knowledge can be used to build personalized interventions to facilitate health behavior change. Data visualization is also an important component of her work as a way to better understand complex behavioral processes, to generate new ideas, and to use as a tool for scientific communication. Currently, Libby is writing a NIH K01 focused on developing a reinforcement learning algorithm for personalizing intervention content in a smoking cessation just-in-time adaptive intervention.
- Jenna D. Gilchrist, Mahmood R. Gohari, Lizbeth Erin Benson, Karen A. Patte, Scott T. Leatherdale. 2023. Reciprocal associations between positive emotions and resilience predict flourishing among adolescents. Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada : Research, Policy and Practice 43(7):313-320.
- Saeideh Heshmati, David A. Sbarra, Lizbeth Erin Benson. 2023. Integrating multiple time-scales to advance relationship science. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships 40(4):1069-1078.
- John M Felt, Karra D Harrington, Nilam Ram, Kieran J O’Donnell, Martin J Sliwinski, Lizbeth Erin Benson, Zhenyu Zhang, Michael J Meaney, Frank W Putnam, Jennie G Noll, Chad E Shenk. 2023. Receptive Language Abilities for Females Exposed to Early Life Adversity: Modification by Epigenetic Age Acceleration at Midlife in a 30-Year Prospective Cohort Study. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 78(4):585-595.
- Munjireen Sifat, Emily T Hébert, Jasjit S Ahluwalia, Michael S Businelle, Joseph J C Waring, Summer G Frank-Pearce, Chase Bryer, Lizbeth 'Libby' Benson, Stefani Madison, Lourdes G Planas, Irina Baranskaya, Darla E Kendzor. 2023. Varenicline Combined With Oral Nicotine Replacement Therapy and Smartphone-Based Medication Reminders for Smoking Cessation: Feasibility Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Formative Research 7(1):e48857.
- Lizbeth Erin Benson, Chaelin K. Ra, Emily T. Hébert, Darla E. Kendzor, Jason A. Oliver, Summer G. Frank-Pearce, Jordan M. Neil, Michael S. Businelle. . Quit Stage and Intervention Type Differences in the Momentary Within-Person Association Between Negative Affect and Smoking Urges. Frontiers in Digital Health 4