Sarah Andrea Burgard
Sarah Burgard conducts research on the social stratification of aging and health with population-based survey data, and has published extensively on the social factors underlying health disparities by socioeconomic status, gender, and race/ethnicity across the life course. Some of her recent research and funding has centered on understanding these questions in the context of economic recessions, which disrupt career, economic, and health paths for many adults, but especially for socioeconomically-marginalized groups. Dr. Burgard is PI of the 2020 Americans’ Changing Lives Study ACLLIFE wave, which collected full retrospective life histories including extensive information about life events from a cohort now in their late 50s, and a PI of the Michigan Recession and Recovery Study, a panel survey of adults in Southeast Michigan that has been tracking the life events and mental health of these individuals in the wake of the Great Recession of 2007-2009. Using these data, she has published on the influences of job loss, financial shocks, debt, housing instability, and material hardship, with a focus on creating life course measures of cumulative disadvantage for which retrospective or prospective life history data are essential.
- Margaret D. Whitley, Sarah Andrea Burgard. 2023. Working conditions and racial and ethnic disparities in self-rated health. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 65(7):533-540.
- Lucie Kalousová, Burgard,Sarah Andrea. 2022. Employment Pathways during Economic Recession and Recovery and Adult Health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 63(1):105-124.
- H. Kim, Burgard,Sarah Andrea. 2022. Housing instability and mental health among renters in the michigan recession and recovery study. Public Health 209:30-35.
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Elliott, Michael R, Seelye, Sarah, Lin, Katherine Y. P., Segal, Brian D. 2020. Stability and Change in Health Behavior Profiles of U.S. Adults. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 75(3):674-683.
- Burgard,Sarah Andrea. 2019. Material Hardship and Sleep: Results from the Michigan Recession and Recovery Study. Material Hardship and Sleep: Results from the Michigan Recession and Recovery Study 5(2):113-127.
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Harlow, Sioban D., Iglesias-Rios, Lisbeth , Kiss, Ligia , Zimmerman, Cathy . 2019. Gender differences in the association of living and working conditions and the mental health of trafficking survivors. International Journal of Public Health 64(7):1015-1024.
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, West, Brady Thomas, Harlow, Sioban D., Iglesias-Rios, Lisbeth , Kiss, L , Zimmerman, C . 2019. Patterns of violence and coercion with mental health among female and male trafficking survivors: a latent class analysis with mixture models. Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences :1-9.
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Hoffman, G , Mendez-Luck, C , Gaugler, J . 2019. Interdependence in Health and Functioning Among Older Spousal Caregivers and Care Recipients. Western Journal of Nursing Research 41(5):685-703.
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Needham, Belinda L., Liu, Hui , Zhang, Yan . 2019. Marital status and cognitive impairment in the United States: evidence from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Annals of Epidemiology
- Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Harlow, Sioban D., Iglesias-Rios, Lisbeth , Kiss, Ligia , Zimmerman, Cathy . 2018. Mental health, violence and psychological coercion among female and male trafficking survivors in the greater Mekong sub-region: a cross-sectional study. BMC Psychology 6(15)