Brad J Bushman
- Email Brad J Bushman
Brad J. Bushman studies the causes, consequences, and solutions to the problem of human aggression and violence. He was a member of President Obama’s committee on gun violence, and has testified before the U.S. Congress on the topic of youth violence. His research has challenged several myths (e.g., violent media have a trivial effect on aggression, venting anger reduces aggression, violent people suffer from low self-esteem, violence and sex sell products, warning labels reduce audience size). He has published over 200 peer-reviewed journal articles, which have been cited over 35,000 times. His research has been published in the top scientific journals (e.g., Science, PNAS), and has been featured extensively in the mass media (e.g., BBC, New York Times, NPR). In 2017, he received the Kurt Lewin Award from the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues for “outstanding contributions to the development and integration of psychological research and social action” (jointly with Craig Anderson).
- Meagan Ashley Docherty, Paul Boxer, L_Rowell Huesmann, Brad J Bushman, Craig A. Anderson, Douglas A. Gentile, Eric F Dubow. 2023. Within-Person Bidirectional Associations Over Time Between Parenting and Youths' Callousness. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology
- Bushman, Brad J, Boxer, Paul, Dubow, Eric F, Huesmann, L. Rowell, Coyne, Sarah M, Anderson, Craig A, Björkqvist, Kaj , Dodge, Kenneth A, Farrington, David P, Gentile, Douglas A, Lansford, Jennifer E, Novaco, Raymond W, Ostrov, Jamie M, Underwood, Marion K, Warburton, Wayne A, Ybarra, Michele L. 2018. Risk factors for youth violence: Youth violence commission, International Society For Research On Aggression (ISRA). Aggressive Behavior 44(4):331-336.
- Bushman, Brad J, Veenstra, Lotte , Koole, Sander L. 2018. The facts on the furious: a brief review of the psychology of trait anger. Current Opinion in Psychology 19:98-103.
- Bushman, Brad J, Rinderu, Maria I, Van Lange, Paul AM. 2018. Climate, aggression, and violence (CLASH): a cultural-evolutionary approach. Current Opinion in Psychology 19:113-118.
- Bushman, Brad J, Benjamin, Arlin James. 2018. The weapons effect. Current Opinion in Psychology 19:93-97.
- Bushman, Brad J, Allen, Johnie J, Anderson, Craig A. 2018. The General Aggression Model. Current Opinion in Psychology 19:75-80.
- Bushman, Brad J, Kerwin, Thomas , Whitlock, Tyler , Weisenberger, Janet M. 2017. The weapons effect on wheels: Motorists drive more aggressively when there is a gun in the vehicle. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 73:82-85.
- Bushman, Brad J, Gabbiadini, Alessandro , Riva, Paolo , Andrighetto, Luca , Volpato, Chiara . 2017. Grand Theft Auto is a "Sandbox" Game, but There are Weapons, Criminals, and Prostitutes in the Sandbox: Response to Ferguson and Donnellan (2017). Journal of Youth and Adolescence :1-7.
- Bushman, Brad J. 2017. Guns Automatically Prime Aggressive Thoughts, Regardless of Whether a "Good Guy" or "Bad Guy" Holds the Gun. Social Psychological and Personality Science
- Bushman, Brad J, den Hamer, A H, Konijn, E A, Plaisier, X S, Keijer, M G, Krabbendam, L C. 2017. The Content-based Media Exposure Scale (C-ME): Development and Validation. Computers in Human Behavior 72:549-557.