Dr. Mitchell’s research utilizes a range of biological data types such as epigenetics, neuroimaging, and genetics to better understand how social conditions shape population health. In particular his work uses these biomarkers to elucidate pathways by which social inequalities cause health inequalities. This research uses longitudinal population-based studies where biological data are collected at multiple timepoints. His research also includes the development of new methods for integrating the collection and analysis of biological and social data.
- Guzman, Jose M., Boone, Montana H., Suarez, Gabriela L., Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde, Lopez-Duran, Nestor L.. 2024. Relationship between COVID-related stressors and internalizing symptoms: Gendered neuroendocrine risk profiles. Psychoneuroendocrinology 159:106668.
- Laura Murray, Nestor L. Lopez-Duran, Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde. 2023. Antisocial behavior is associated with reduced frontoparietal activity to loss in a population-based sample of adolescents. Psychological Medicine 53(8):3652-3660.
- Arianna M. Gard, Luke Williamson Hyde, Steven G Heeringa, Brady Thomas West, Colter Mitchell. 2023. Why weight? Analytic approaches for large-scale population neuroscience data. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 59:101196.
- Megan E Patrick, Peter N Sparks, Dana Mowls Carroll, Colter Mitchell. 2023. Feasibility of mailed biomarker data collection among U.S. young adults: Saliva-based cotinine and self-reported nicotine use. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 244:109791.
- Erin Dunn, Daniel S. Busso, Kathryn A. Davis, Andrew D.A.C. Smith, Colter Mitchell, Henning Tiemeier, Ezra S. Susser. 2023. Sensitive periods for the effect of child maltreatment on psychopathology symptoms in adolescence. Complex Psychiatry 9(1-4):145-153.
- Tillem, Scott, Dotterer, Hailey L, Goetschius, Leigh G, Lopez-Duran, Nestor, Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde. 2023. Antisocial behavior is associated with reduced frontoparietal network efficiency in youth. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 18(1):nsad026.
- Hardi, Felicia A., Goetschius, Leigh G., Tillem, Scott, McLoyd, Vonnie, Brooks-Gunn, Jeanne, Boone, Montana, Lopez-Duran, Nestor, Colter Mitchell, Luke Williamson Hyde, Christopher Stephen Monk. 2023. Early childhood household instability, adolescent structural neural network architecture, and young adulthood depression: A 21-year longitudinal study. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 61:101253.
- Allison Reiner, Kelly M. Bakulski, Jonah Fisher, John F Dou, Lisa Schneper, Colter Mitchell, Daniel A. Notterman, Matthew Zawistowski, Erin Bakshis Ware. 2023. Sex-specific DNA methylation in saliva from the multi-ethnic Future of Families and Child Wellbeing Study. Epigenetics 18(1)
- Alexandre A Lussier, Yiwen Zhu, Brooke J Smith, Janine Cerutti, Jonah Fisher, Phillip E Melton, Natasha M Wood, Sarah Cohen-Woods, Rae-Chi Huang, Colter Mitchell, Lisa Schneper, Daniel A Notterman, Andrew J Simpkin, Andrew D A C Smith, Matthew J Suderman, Esther Walton, Caroline L Relton, Kerry J Ressler, Erin C Dunn. 2023. Association between the timing of childhood adversity and epigenetic patterns across childhood and adolescence: findings from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC) prospective cohort. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health 7(8):532-543.
- Helen Carmon Spink Meier, Colter Mitchell, Tommy Karadimas, Jessica Danielle Faul. 2023. Systemic inflammation and biological aging in the Health and Retirement Study. GeroScience