Dan Slater specializes in the politics and history of enduring dictatorships and emerging democracies, with a regional focus on Southeast Asia. His book examining how divergent historical patterns of contentious politics have shaped variation in state power and authoritarian durability in seven Southeast Asian countries, entitled Ordering Power: Contentious Politics and Authoritarian Leviathans in Southeast Asia, was published in the Cambridge Studies in Comparative Politics series in 2010. He is also a co-editor of Southeast Asia in Political Science: Theory, Region, and Qualitative Analysis (Stanford University Press, 2008), which assesses the contributions of Southeast Asian political studies to theoretical knowledge in comparative politics. His published articles can be found in disciplinary journals such as the American Journal of Political Science, American Journal of Sociology, Comparative Politics, Comparative Political Studies, International Organization, Perspectives on Politics, Studies in Comparative International Development, and World Politics, as well as Asia-oriented journals such as Critical Asian Studies, Indonesia, Journal of East Asian Studies, South East Asia Research, Taiwan Journal of Democracy, and TRANS.
- Slater, Dan, Eibl, Max Ferdinand, Hertog, Steffen . 2019. War makes the regime: regional rebellions and political militarization worldwide. British Journal of Political Science
- Slater, Dan. 2019. Conclusion: Democratising Singapore's Developmental State. The Limits of Authoritarian Governance in Singapore's Developmental State :305-319.
- Slater, Dan, Arugay, Aries A. 2019. Polarization Without Poles: Machiavellian Conflicts and the Philippines' Lost Decade of Democracy, 2000-2010. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 681(1):122-136.
- Slater, Dan. 2019. Violent Origins of Authoritarian Variation: Rebellion Type and Regime Type in Cold War Southeast Asia. Government and Opposition
- Slater, Dan, Wong, Joseph . 2018. Game for Democracy. Life after Dictatorship: Authoritarian Successor Parties Worldwide
- Slater, Dan, Grzymala-Busse, Anna. 2018. Making Godly Nations: Church-State Pathways in Poland and the Philippines. Comparative Politics 50(4):545-564.
- Slater, Dan, Simpser, Alberto , Wittenberg, Jason . 2018. Dead But Not Gone: Contemporary Legacies of Communism, Imperialism, and Authoritarianism. Annual Review of Political Science 21(1):419-439.
- Slater, Dan, Albertus, Michael , Fenner, Sofia . 2018. Coercive Distribution. :112.
- Slater, Dan. 2018. Party Cartelization, Indonesian-Style: Presidential Power-Sharing and the Contingency of Democratic Opposition. Journal of East Asian Studies 18(1):23-46.
- Slater, Dan, Arugay, Aries A. 2018. Polarizing Figures: Executive Power and Institutional Conflict in Asian Democracies. American Behavioral Scientist 62(1):92-106.