Daphne C Watkins
Daphne C. Watkins studies gender disparities and mental health over the adult life course using mixed methods research approaches.
To date, her research has focused on understanding the social determinants of health that explain within group differences among black men; developing evidence-based strategies to improve the physical and mental health of black men; and increasing knowledge about the intersection of culture, ethnicity, age, and gender.
Prior to joining the School of Social Work, Professor Watkins completed a NIMH-funded postdoctoral fellowship at the Institute for Social Research and a NIH career development award in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, both at the University of Michigan.
- Susan L. Murphy, Gina M. Jay, Elias Samuels, Brenda Eakin, Alexandra E. Harper, Gretchen Piatt, Vanessa I. Trujillo, Kristen Weeks-Norton, Catherine Striley, Catina O’Leary, Jordan Hahn, Daphne C Watkins, Linda Cottler, Sergio Aguilar Gaxiola. 2023. Evaluation of an Online Research Best Practices Training for Community Health Workers and Promotoras. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science 7(1):E195.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Watkins, Daphne C, Chatters, Linda M, Geronimus, Arline T, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2019. Cortisol and Racial Health Disparities Affecting Black Men in Later Life: Evidence From MIDUS II. American Journal of Men's Health 13(4):1557988319870969.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Goodwill, Janelle R, Anyiwo, Nkemka , Williams, Ed-Dee G, Johnson, Natasha C, Mattis, Jacqueline S. 2019. Media representations of popular culture figures and the construction of Black masculinities. Psychology of Men & Masculinities 20(3):288-298.
- Watkins, Daphne C. 2019. Improving the Living, Learning, and Thriving of Young Black Men: A Conceptual Framework for Reflection and Projection. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16(8):1331.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Mouzon, Dawne M, Perry, Ramona , Simpson, Theresa M, Mitchell, Jamie A. 2019. Intergenerational Mobility and Goal-Striving Stress Among Black Americans: The Roles of Ethnicity and Nativity Status. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 21(2):393-400.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Goodwill, Janelle R. 2019. Men's Trauma, Depression, and Suicide in Adulthood. Men's Health Equity: A Handbook
- Watkins, Daphne C. 2019. A Light on the Path to and Promise for Black Men's Mental Health. Men and Masculinities 22(5):917-920.
- Taylor, Robert J, Watkins, Daphne C, Goodwill, Janelle R. 2019. Everyday Discrimination, Depressive Symptoms, and Suicide Ideation Among African American Men. Archives of Suicide Research :1-20.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Allen, Julie Ober, Hawkins, Jaclynn , Mitchell, Jamie . 2018. Identifying subgroups of Black, Hispanic and Asian men at increased risk for comorbid depression and overweight or obesity. Preventive Medicine Reports 12:268-270.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Watkins, Daphne C, Chatters, Linda M, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2018. DOES COPING MATTER? COPING AND CHRONIC PHYSIOLOGICAL DISTRESS AMONG AGING U.S. BLACK AND WHITE MEN. Innovation in Aging 2(suppl_1):668-669.