Research interests include how young people overcome racial, ethnic, socioeconomic and other constraints in school, college, work, and civic/ political institutions. He is particularly interested in how marginalized people develop critical consciousness, which is a careful analysis of societal inequalities, the motivation to produce social change, and participation in social or political action.
- Diemer, Matt, Heinze, Justin E., Moore, Stephanie S, Schmidt, Carissa J, Zimmerman, Marc A. 2019. College Status and Trajectories of Perceived Leadership Ability Among Emerging Adults. Emerging Adulthood 7(6):478-489.
- Diemer, Matt, Marchand, Aixa D., Mathews, Channing J, Medina, Michael A, Bañales, Josefina , Pinetta, Bernardette J, Agi, Abunya C, Miller, Stephanie M, Hoffman, Adam J, Rivas-Drake, Deborah . 2019. Mapping the Intersections of Adolescents' Ethnic-Racial Identity and Critical Consciousness. Adolescent Research Review
- Diemer, Matt, Bañales, Josefina , Mathews, Channing , Hayat, Noorya , Anyiwo, Nkemka . 2019. Latinx and Black young adults' pathways to civic/political engagement. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology :No-Pagination Specified-No Pagination Specified.
- Diemer, Matt, Marchand, Aixa D., Voight, Adam M, Bañales, Josefina . 2019. Political identification, political ideology, and critical social analysis of inequality among marginalized youth. Developmental Psychology 55(3):538-549.
- Diemer, Matt, Marchand, Aixa D., Malanchuk, Oksana, Eccles, Jacquelynne S., McKellar, Sarah E. 2019. Threats and Supports to Female Students' Math Beliefs and Achievement. Journal of Research on Adolescence 29(2):449-465.
- Diemer, Matt, Marchand, Aixa D., Vassar, Rema Reynolds, Rowley, Stephanie J. 2019. Integrating Race, Racism, and Critical Consciousness in Black Parents' Engagement With Schools. Journal of Family Theory & Review 11(3):367-384.
- Diemer, Matt, Audet, Carolyn M, Graves, Erin , Barreto, Ezequiel , De Schacht, Caroline , Gong, Wu , Shepherd, Bryan E, Aboobacar, Arifo , Gonzalez-Calvo, Lazaro , Alvim, Maria Fernanda, Aliyu, Muktar H, Kipp, Aaron M, Jordan, Heather , Amico, K Rivet, Ciaranello, Andrea , Dugdale, Caitlin , Vermund, Sten H, Van Rompaey, Sara . 2018. Partners-based HIV treatment for seroconcordant couples attending antenatal and postnatal care in rural Mozambique: A cluster randomized trial protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials 71:63-69.