David Alan Dunning
His research focuses on the psychology underlying human misbelief. In his most widely-cited work, he showed that people tend to hold flattering opinions of their competence, character, and prospects that cannot be justified from objective evidence–a phenomenon that carries many implications for health, education, the workplace, and economic exchange. He also examines how many of these same processes also injure judgments made by groups.
- Dunning, David Alan, Fetchenhauer, Detlef , Schlösser, Thomas . 2019. Why People Trust: Solved Puzzles and Open Mysteries. Current Directions in Psychological Science 28(4):366-371.
- Dunning, David Alan, Wu, Kaidi . 2019. Hypocognition: Making Sense of the Landscape Beyond One's Conceptual Reach.. Review of General Psychology
- Dunning, David Alan, Sanchez, Carmen . 2019. Cultural Patterns Explain the Worldwide Perception/Performance Paradox in Student Self-Assessments of Math and Science Skill. Social Psychological and Personality Science 10(7):935-945.
- Dunning, David Alan. 2019. The best option illusion in self and social assessment. Self and Identity 18(4):349-362.
- Dunning, David Alan, De keersmaecker, Jonas , Pennycook, Gordon , Rand, David G, Sanchez, Carmen , Unkelbach, Christian , Roets, Arne . 2019. Investigating the Robustness of the Illusory Truth Effect Across Individual Differences in Cognitive Ability, Need for Cognitive Closure, and Cognitive Style. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin :0146167219853844.
- Dunning, David Alan, Heath, Chip , Suls, Jerry M. 2018. Reflections on Self-Reflection: Contemplating Flawed Self-Judgments in the Clinic, Classroom, and Office Cubicle. Perspectives on Psychological Science 13(2):185-189.
- Dunning, David Alan. 2018. Moral agency among the ruins. Behavioral and Brain Sciences; New York 41
- Dunning, David Alan, Sanchez, Carmen . 2018. Overconfidence among beginners: Is a little learning a dangerous thing?. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 114(1):10-28.
- Dunning, David Alan. 2017. Normative goals and the regulation of social behavior: The case of respect. Motivation and Emotion 41(3):285-293.
- Dunning, David Alan, Fetchenhauer, Detlef , Schlösser, Thomas . 2017. The varying roles played by emotion in economic decision making. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences 15:33-38.