Elizabeth A Armstrong
Dr. Armstrong’s scholarship focuses on the reproduction of gender, class, and race inequalities. She examines these processes in the domain of sexuality and within the organizational context of the university. Her co-authored book, Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality (Harvard University Press, 2013), followed a cohort of young women through their experiences at a large Midwestern state university. The book challenges the claim that college equalizes the life chances of college graduates. The authors demonstrated that the most well-resourced and seductive route through this university was a “party pathway” anchored in the Greek system and facilitated by the administration. This pathway benefited the affluent, while disadvantaging the majority. Her current project, with Sandra Levitsky, investigates university responses to campus sexual assault.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Kusunoki, Yasamin Yoko, Larance, Lisa Young, Munro-Kramer, Michelle , Sheridan-Fulton, Emily , Ngo, Quyen , Fincher, Sharron , Denson, Nicole . 2019. Feminist Praxis: The Michigan Meeting on Ending Gender-Based Violence. Affilia 34(3):383-392.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Schneider, Jeri A., Levi, B , Kraft, C T, Shapiro, G D, Trinh, N T, Dore, E C, Jeng, J , Lee, A F, Marino, M , Jette, A , Acton, A , Kazis, L E, Ryan, C M. 2018. The Associations of Gender With Social Participation of Burn Survivors: A Life Impact Burn Recovery Evaluation Profile Study. Journal of Burn Care Research 39(6):915-922.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Gleckman-Krut, M , Johnson, L . 2018. Silence, Power, and Inequality: An Intersectional Approach to Sexual Violence. Annual Review of Sociology 44:99-122.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura , Seeley, Jessica Lotus. 2014. Good Girls: Gender, Social Class, and Slut Discourse on Campus. Social Psychology Quarterly 77(2):100-122.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura T. 2013. Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Backstrom, Laura , Puentes, Jennifer . 2012. Women's Negotiation of Cunnilingus in College Hookups and Relationships. Journal of Sex Research 49(1):1-12.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, England, Paula , Fogarty, Alison C. K.. 2012. Accounting for Women's Orgasm and Sexual Enjoyment in College Hookups and Relationships. American Sociological Review 77(3):435-462.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura . 2012. The (Mis)Education of Monica and Karen. Contexts 11(4):22-27.
- Elizabeth A. Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura , England, Paula . 2010. Is Hooking Up Bad for Young Women?. Contexts 9(3):22-27.