Falk is an expert in the science of behavior change. Her research uses tools from psychology, neuroscience and communication to examine what makes messages persuasive, why and how ideas spread and what makes people effective communicators. Her research has been recognized by numerous awards, including early career awards from the International Communication Association, the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Attitudes Division, a Fulbright grant, and Social and Affective Neuroscience Society, a DARPA Young Faculty Award, the NIH Director’s New Innovator Award. She was named a Rising Star by the Association for Psychological Science. She received her bachelor’s degree in Neuroscience from Brown University, and her Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Rui Pei, Danielle Cosme, Mary E. Andrews, Bradley D. Mattan, José Carreras-Tartak, Emily Falk. 2023. Cultural influence on COVID-19 cognitions and growth speed: The role of collectivism. Social and Personality Psychology Compass
- Mary Andrews, Nicole Cooper, Bradley D Mattan, José Carreras-Tartak, Alexandra M Paul, Andrew A Strasser, Lisa Henriksen, Emily Falk. 2023. Causal effects of point-of-sale cigarette promotions and subjective social status on cigarette craving: a randomised within-person experiment. Tobacco Control
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Falk, Emily, Kang, Yoona , Cooper, Nicole , Pandey, Prateekshit , Scholz, Christin , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Lieberman, Matthew D, Taylor, Shelley E, Strecher, Victor J, Cin, Sonya Dal, Polk, Thad A, Resnicow, Kenneth , An, Lawrence . 2018. Effects of self-transcendence on neural responses to persuasive messages and health behavior change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115(40):9974-9979.
- Falk, Emily, Schmlazle, Ralf , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Garcia, Javier O, Cascio, Christopher N, Bayer, Joseph , Bassett, Danielle S, Vettel, Jean M. 2017. Brain connectivity dynamics during social interaction reflect social network structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114(20):5153-5158.
- Falk, Emily, Baek, Elisa C, Scholz, Christin , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook. 2017. The Value of Sharing Information: A Neural Account of Information Transmission. Psychological Science 28(7):851-861.
- Falk, Emily, Vezich, I Stephanie, Katzman, Perri L, Ames, Daniel L, Lieberman, Matthew D. 2017. Modulating the neural bases of persuasion: why/how, gain/loss, and users/non-users. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 12(2):283-297.
- Falk, Emily, Kang, Yoona , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Strecher, Victor J, Taylor, Shelley E, Lieberman, Matthew D. 2017. Self-Transcendent Values and Neural Responses to Threatening Health Messages. Psychosomatic Medicine 79(4):379-387.
- Falk, Emily, Kang, Yoona , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Strecher, Victor J. 2017. Dispositional Mindfulness Predicts Adaptive Affective Responses to Health Messages and Increased Exercise Motivation. Mindfulness 8(2):387-397.
- Falk, Emily, Scholz, Christin , Baek, Elisa C, O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Kim, Hyun Suk, Cappella, Joseph N. 2017. A neural model of valuation and information virality. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114(11):2881-2886.
- Falk, Emily, Cooper, Nicole , Bassett, Danielle S. 2017. Coherent activity between brain regions that code for value is linked to the malleability of human behavior. Scientific Reports 7