David Marc Fresco
David M. Fresco is Professor of Psychiatry and Faculty Affiliate at the Institute for Social Research (ISR). His program of research adopts an affective neuroscience perspective to conduct basic, translational, and treatment studies of anxiety and mood disorders, particularly distress disorders (e.g., major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder) incorporating methodologies including functional neuroimaging (fMRI & EEG), peripheral psychophysiology, and serum markers (e.g., inflammation, neurodegeneration).
Another facet of Dr. Fresco’s research has focused on the development of treatments informed by affective and contemplative neuroscience findings that incorporate mindfulness meditation and other practices derived from Buddhist mental training exercises.
Increasingly, with collaborators at ISR, Dr. Fresco has initiated clinical trials for treatment optimization and implementation utilizing adaptive intervention methodology (e.g., sequential multiple assignment randomized trials [SMART] & just-in-time adaptive interventions [JITAIs])
Much of his current and recent NIH-funded research has focused on examining neurobehavioral mechanisms and efficacy of mindfulness-enriched treatments for chronic illnesses, and the role of emotion regulation strategies in everyday life to reduce distress.
- Lilia T. Popova, Rebhi O. Abuzaitoun, David Marc Fresco, Maria Fernanda Abalem, Chris A. Andrews, David C. Musch, Josh Ehrlich, K. Thiran Jayasundera. 2023. Positive feedback loop between vision-related anxiety and self-reported visual difficulty. Ophthalmic Genetics 44(4):327-333.
- Kalmbach, David A., Cheng, Philip, Reffi, Anthony N., Ong, Jason C., Swanson, Leslie M., David Marc Fresco, Walch, Olivia, Seymour, Grace M., Fellman-Couture, Cynthia, Bayoneto, Alec D., Roth, Thomas, Drake, Christopher L.. 2023. Perinatal Understanding of Mindful Awareness for Sleep (PUMAS): A single-arm proof-of-concept clinical trial of a mindfulness-based intervention for DSM-5 insomnia disorder during pregnancy. Sleep Medicine 108:79-89.
- Renna, Megan E., Spaeth, Phillip E., Quintero, Jean M., O'Toole, Mia S., Sandman, Christina F., David Marc Fresco, Mennin, Douglas S.. 2023. A randomized controlled trial comparing two doses of emotion regulation therapy: Preliminary evidence that gains in attentional and metacognitive regulation reduce worry, rumination, and distress. Behaviour Research and Therapy 170:104420.
- Michal Clayton, Megan Renna, Leah Weingast, Aliza Panjwani, Phillip Spaeth, Richard Heimberg, David Marc Fresco, Douglas Mennin. 2023. The Impact of Emotion Regulation Improvements on Intolerance of Uncertainty During Emotion Regulation Therapy. Journal of Emotion and Psychopathology 1(1):273-288.
- Gupta, Resh S., Kujawa, Autumn, Fresco,David Marc, Kang, Hakmook, Vago, David R.. 2022. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: A Preliminary Examination of the (Event-Related) Potential for Modifying Threat-Related Attentional Bias in Anxiety. Mindfulness 13:1719-1732.
- Allison J. Applebaum, Morgan Loschiavo, Katherine Morgan, Douglas S. Mennin, David Marc Fresco, Michael A. Hoyt, Elizabeth Schofield, Mia S. O'Toole, Julia Cohn, Jamie M. Jacobs. 2022. A randomized controlled trial of emotion regulation therapy for cancer caregivers: A mechanism-targeted approach to addressing caregiver distress. Contemporary Clinical Trials 122:106923.
- K. Thiran Jayasundera, Rebhi O. Abuzaitoun, Lilia Popova, Maria Fernanda Abalem, Chris A. Andrews, Gabrielle D. Lacy, David Marc Fresco, David C. Musch. 2022. Construct Validity of Inherited Retinal Disease Specific Patient Reported Outcome Measures. American Journal of Ophthalmology 248:116-126.
- Gupta, Resh S., Kujawa, Autumn, David Marc Fresco, Kang, Hakmook, Vago, David R.. 2022. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: A Preliminary Examination of the (Event-Related) Potential for Modifying Threat-Related Attentional Bias in Anxiety. Mindfulness 13(7):1719-1732.
- Kalmbach, David A, Cheng, Philip, Roth, Andrea, Roth, Thomas, Swanson, Leslie M, Louise M O’Brien, David Marc Fresco, Harb, Nicholas C, Cuamatzi-Castelan, Andrea S, Reffi, Anthony N, Drake, Christopher L. 2022. . SLEEP Advances 3(1):zpac006.
- Moore, Michael T., Lau, Mark A., Haigh, Emily A. P., Willett, Brandilyn R., Bosma, Colin M., David Marc Fresco. 2022. Association between decentering and reductions in relapse/recurrence in mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression in adults: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 90(2):137-147.