Dr. Noppert’s work lies at the intersection of biology, sociology, and epidemiology. Her work seeks to explain how social processes across the life course, such as socioeconomic status, impact a person’s biology. For example, does experiencing persistent disadvantage throughout life contribute to premature aging of the immune system?
She began her work as an infectious disease epidemiologist examining health disparities in tuberculosis (TB) in the U.S. Her work has consistently documented a strong social component underlying the distribution of TB. Those most vulnerable in the U.S. population are bearing the greatest burden of TB. Her current work now focuses on persistent viral infections (example: CMV, HSV-1, etc) and how they may be aging the immune system prematurely. However, in order to fully grasp the impact of these infections you have to look at the social environment. Understanding the link between social factors, infections, and immune function may hold clues to explaining persistent health disparities across the life course.
- Grace Noppert, Kate Duchowny, Rebecca Stebbins, Allison E. Aiello, Jennifer B. Dowd, Philippa J Clarke. 2023. Biological expressions of early life trauma in the immune system of older adults. PLOS ONE 18(6):e0286141.
- Grace Noppert, Rebecca C. Stebbins, Jennifer Beam Dowd, Allison E. Aiello. 2023. Socioeconomic and race/ethnic differences in immunosenescence: evidence from the Health and Retirement Study. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 107:361-368.
- Renson, Audrey, Dennis, Alexis C., Grace Noppert, McClure, Elizabeth S., Aiello, Allison E.. 2022. Interventions on Socioeconomic and Racial Inequities in Respiratory Pandemics: a Rapid Systematic Review. Current Epidemiology Reports 9:66-76.
- Grace Noppert, Chantel L. Martin, Paul N. Zivich, Allison E. Aiello, Kathleen Mullan Harris, Angela O'Rand. 2022. Adolescent neighborhood disadvantage and memory performance in young adulthood. Health & Place 75:102793.
- Kaitlyn B. Akel, Grace Noppert, Yogambigai Rajamoorthy, Yihan Lu, Awnish Singh, Harapan Harapan, Hao-Yuan Chang, Felicia Zhang, Shu-Fang Shih, Abram L. Wagner. 2022. A study of COVID-19 vaccination in the US and Asia: The role of media, personal experiences, and risk perceptions. PLOS Global Public Health 2(7):e0000734.
- Grace Noppert, Kate Duchowny, Clarke,Philippa J. 2022. Declining US life expectancy since covid-19 -- structural inequities foreshadow future fallout. BMJ 378
- Kate Duchowny, Grace Noppert. 2021. The Association Between Cytomegalovirus and Disability by Race/Ethnicity and Gender: Results from the Health and Retirement Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 190(11):2314-2322.
- Noppert, Grace, Lauren C. Zalla. 2021. Who Counts and Who Gets Counted? Health Equity in Infectious Disease Surveillance. 111:1004-1006.
- Rebecca C. Stebbins, Jessie K. Edwards, Brenda L. Plassman, Y. Claire Yang, Noppert, Grace, Mary Haan, Allison E. Aiello. 2021. Immune function, cortisol, and cognitive decline & dementia in an aging latino population. Psychoneuroendocrinology
- Noah Snyder-Mackler, Joseph Robert Burger, Lauren Gaydosh, Daniel W. Belsky, Noppert, Grace, Fernando A. Campos, Alessandro Bartolomucci, Yang Claire Yang, Allison E. Aiello, Angela O’Rand, Kathleen Mullan Harris, Carol A. Shively, Susan C. Alberts, Jenny Tung. 2020. Social determinants of health and survival in humans and other animals. Science 368(6493)