James S House
Dr. House’s research career has focused on the role of social and psychological factors in health and illness, initially on occupational stress and health. He then studied social relationships and support in relation to health, and currently focuses on the role of psychosocial factors in understanding and alleviating social disparities in health and the way health changes with age.
Over his career, House has been founding Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator of the Americans’ Changing Lives (ACL) study, the Changing Lives of Older Couples (CLOC) study, and the Chicago Community Adult Health Study (CCAHS). His most recent book — Beyond Obamacare: Life Death and Social Policy — was published by the Russell Sage Foundation in June, 2015.
- House, James S, LeBrÛn, Alana M. W., Schulz, Amy J, Mentz, Graciela , Reyes, Angela G, Gamboa, Cindy , Israel, Barbara A, Viruell-Fuentes, Edna . 2020. Impact of change over time in self-reported discrimination on blood pressure: implications for inequities in cardiovascular risk for a multi-racial urban community. Ethnicity & health 25(3):323-341.
- House, James S. 2019. The Culminating Crisis of American Sociology and Its Role in Social Science and Public Policy: An Autobiographical, Multimethod, Reflexive Perspective. Annual Review of Sociology 45:1-26.
- Hicken, Margaret Takako, Morenoff, Jeffrey D, House, James S, Lee, Hedwig . 2019. Racial/ethnic Disparities in Hypertension Prevalence: Reconsidering the Role of Chronic Stress. Community Health Equity: A Chicago Reader :pp 173-244.
- House, James S. 2016. Social Determinants and Disparities in Health: Their Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ultimate Triumph(?) in Health Policy. Journal of health politics, policy and law 41(4):599-626.
- Private: Mehta, Neil Kishor, House, James S, Elliott, Michael R. 2015. Dynamics of health behaviours and socioeconomic differences in mortality in the USA. Journal of epidemiology and community health 69(5):416-422.
- House, James S. 2015. Toward a new nationally representative household panel survey (NRHPS). Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 40(1-4):423-431.
- House, James S. 2015. Beyond Obamacare: Life, Death, and Social Policy.
- Hicken, Margaret Takako, Morenoff, Jeffrey D, House, James S, Williams, David R., Lee, H . 2014. Racial/ethnic disparities in hypertension prevalence: reconsidering the role of chronic stress. American Journal of Public Health 104(1):117-123.
- House, James S, Burgard, Sarah Andrea, Schoeni, Bob, Tapia Granados, José A, Ionides, Edward L. 2014. Individual Joblessness, Contextual Unemployment, and Mortality Risk. American Journal of Epidemiology 180(3):280-287.
- House, James S, Zelner, Jonathan Leigh, Trostle, James , Goldstick, Jason E, Cevallos, William , Eisenberg, J N.S.. 2014. Social Connectedness Can Inhibit Disease Transmission: Social Organization, Cohesion, Village Context, and Infection Risk in Rural Ecuador. Influence of Global Environmental Change on Infectious Disease Dynamics: Workshop Summary :251-266.