Dr. Smith applies life course and lifespan developmental theory to the study of health and well-being in later life. Her research focuses on age- and health-related changes in subjective well-being, self-related beliefs, and cognition in midlife and old age and the effects of early-life experiences on late-life outcomes. She is currently PI of a project collecting, evaluating, and linking retrospective life histories about education, residential, job, family, and health to cognitive aging and transitions to AD/ADRD. She also serves as a co-investigator in the Health and Retirement Study (HRS) and is a MiCDA affiliate. She teaches courses on the psychology of aging, lifespan cognition, and theories of development across the lifespan.
- Frank, Colleen C., Mundy, Lindsey M., Jacqui Smith. 2023. Life course engagement in enriching activities: When and how does it matter for cognitive aging?. Psychology and Aging 38(4):263-276.
- William J. Chopik, Jeewon Oh, Sneha R. Challa, Hannah L. Hua, Julia M. Maahs, Jacqui Smith. 2023. Changes in childhood caregiving impressions among middle-aged and older adults. Personal Relationships
- Hu, Rita Xiaochen, Marina Larkina, Jacqui Smith. 2023. The Impact of Caregiving History on Later-life Self-Perceptions of Aging. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Jonathon M. Vivoda, Lisa J. Molnar, David W. Eby, Carolyn DiGuiseppi, Vanya Jones, Guohua Li, David Strogatz, Raymond Yung, Linda Nyquist, Jacqui Smith, Jennifer S. Zakrajsek, Renée M. St Louis, Nicole Zanier. 2022. All are not created equal: Assessing initial driving self-regulation behaviors among older adults. Journal of Transport & Health 24:101310.
- Julia S. Nakamura, Joanna H. Hong, Jacqui Smith, William J. Chopik, Ying Chen, Tyler J. VanderWeele, Eric S. Kim. 2022. Associations Between Satisfaction With Aging and Health and Well-being Outcomes Among Older US Adults. JAMA Network Open 5(2):e2147797.
- Hu,Mengyao, Lee,Sunghee, Hongwei Xu, Roberto Melipillán, Jacqui Smith, Arie Kapteyn. 2022. Improving Anchoring Vignette Methodology in Health Surveys with Image Vignettes. methods, data, analyses 16(2):273-314.
- Smith, Asa B., Davis, Matthew, Jackson, Elizabeth A., Wittmann, Daniela, Jacqui Smith, Barton, Debra L.. 2022. Sexual Function, Anxiety, Depression and Coping After Myocardial Infarction: An Exploratory Study. Sexuality and Disability 40:77-89.
- Wahl, Hans-Werner, Drewelies, Johanna, Duezel, Sandra, Lachman, Margie E., Jacqui Smith, Eibich, Peter, Steinhagen-Thiessen, Elisabeth, Demuth, Ilja, Lindenberger, Ulman, Wagner, Gert G., Ram, Nilam, Gerstorf, Denis. 2022. Subjective age and attitudes toward own aging across two decades of historical time. 37(3):413-429.
- Jonathon M. Vivoda, Lisa J. Molnar, David W. Eby, Scott Bogard, Jennifer S. Zakrajsek, Lidia P. Kostyniuk, Renée M. St. Louis, Nicole Zanier, David LeBlanc, Smith, Jacqui, Raymond Yung, Linda Nyquist, Carolyn DiGuiseppi, Guohua Li, David Strogatz. 2021. The Influence of Hearing Impairment on Driving Avoidance Among a Large Cohort of Older Drivers. Journal of Applied Gerontology
- Lee, Haena, Ryan, Lindsay H, Ofstedal, Mary Beth, Smith, Jacqui. 2021. Multigenerational Households During Childhood and Trajectories of Cognitive Functioning Among U.S. Older Adults. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 76(6):1161-1172.