Lloyd D Johnston
Dr. Johnston’s research has been based on two seminal national research studies: Monitoring the Future: A Continuing Study of the Lifestyles and Values of American Youth (MTF) and the Youth, Education, and Society (YES) study, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, respectively. MTF is an epidemiological study that reports current levels and trends in the use of a wide range of substances, from cigarettes and alcohol to marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and many other illicit drugs. Its design allows researchers to address age, cohort, and period effects on the use of these substances. Johnston and his collaborators have played an agenda-setting function by calling attention early to problems that are emerging and ones that are receding among youth. They also have demonstrated how particular attitudes and beliefs about each drug play a major role in young peoples’ use of the drug, which has helped to guide a great deal of the nation’s drug and alcohol prevention strategy.
- Richard Allen Miech, Adam M Leventhal, Lloyd D Johnston. 2023. Recent, national trends in US adolescent use of menthol and non-menthol cigarettes. Tobacco Control 32:e10-e15.
- Lloyd D Johnston, Richard Allen Miech, Megan E Patrick, Patrick M O'Malley, John E Schulenberg, Jerald G Bachman. 2023. Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use 1975-2022: Overview, key findings on adolescent drug use.
- Megan E Patrick, Richard Allen Miech, Lloyd D Johnston, Patrick M O'Malley. 2023. Monitoring the Future Panel Study annual report: National data on substance use among adults ages 19 to 60, 1976-2022.
- Richard Allen Miech, Lloyd D Johnston, Megan E Patrick, Patrick M O'Malley, Jerald G Bachman, John E Schulenberg. 2023. Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use, 1975-2022: Secondary school students.
- Patrick, Megan E, Couper, Mick P, Jang, Bohyun, Virginia Laetz, Schulenberg, John E, Patrick M. O’Malley, Bachman, Jerald G, Johnston, Lloyd D. 2020. Building on a Sequential Mixed-Mode Research Design in the Monitoring the Future Study. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Terry-McElrath, Yvonne M, Patrick, Megan E, O’Malley, Patrick M, Johnston, Lloyd D. 2022. Self-reported perceived negative consequences of marijuana use among U.S. young adult users, 2008-2019. Addictive Behaviors 124:107098.
- Johnston,Lloyd D, Miech,Richard Allen, O’Malley,Patrick M, Bachman,Jerald G, Schulenberg,John E, Megan Patrick. 2022. Monitoring the Future: National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975-2021. 2021 Overview: Key Findings on Adolescent Drug Use.
- Miech,Richard Allen, Adam M. Leventhal, O’Malley,Patrick M, Johnston,Lloyd D, Jessica L. Barrington-Trimis. 2022. Failed Attempts to Quit Combustible Cigarettes and e-Cigarettes Among US Adolescents. JAMA 327(12):1179-1181.
- Miech, Richard Allen, Adam Leventhal, Johnston, Lloyd D, Patrick M. O’Malley, Patrick, Megan E, Jessica Barrington-Trimis. 2021. Trends in Use and Perceptions of Nicotine Vaping Among US Youth From 2017 to 2020. JAMA Pediatrics 175(2):185-190.
- Miech, Richard Allen, Patrick, Megan E, Katherine Keyes, O’Malley, Patrick M, Johnston, Lloyd D. 2021. Adolescent drug use before and during U.S. national COVID-19 social distancing policies. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 226:108822.