Julie Ober Allen
Julie Ober Allen’s research seeks to better understand and address the complex interactions between contextual, psychosocial, biological, and behavioral factors involved in stress and coping processes that contribute to disparities in chronic disease among older U.S. adults, with an emphasis on the health of Black men.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Watkins, Daphne C, Chatters, Linda M, Geronimus, Arline T, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2019. Cortisol and Racial Health Disparities Affecting Black Men in Later Life: Evidence From MIDUS II. American Journal of Men's Health 13(4):1557988319870969.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Allen, Julie Ober, Hawkins, Jaclynn , Mitchell, Jamie . 2018. Identifying subgroups of Black, Hispanic and Asian men at increased risk for comorbid depression and overweight or obesity. Preventive Medicine Reports 12:268-270.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Watkins, Daphne C, Chatters, Linda M, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2018. DOES COPING MATTER? COPING AND CHRONIC PHYSIOLOGICAL DISTRESS AMONG AGING U.S. BLACK AND WHITE MEN. Innovation in Aging 2(suppl_1):668-669.
- Watkins, Daphne C, Allen, Julie Ober, Goodwill, Janelle R, Noel, Blake . 2017. Strengths and weaknesses of the Young Black Men, Masculinities, and Mental Health (YBMen) Facebook project. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 87(4):392-401.
- Allen, Julie Ober. 2016. Ageism as a Risk Factor for Chronic Disease. The Gerontologist 56(4):610-614.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Ellis, K R, Griffith, D M, Thorpe, R J, Bruce, M A. 2015. "If you do nothing about stress, the next thing you know, you're shattered": Perspectives on African American men's stress, coping and health from African American men and key women in their lives. Social Science and Medicine 139:107-114. PMCID: PMC4519397.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris, Griffith, Derek , Langford, A . 2014. Men on the move: a pilot program to increase physical activity among African American men. Health Education and Behavior 41(2):164-172. PMCID: PMC4511956.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Griffith, Derek , Gaines, H G. 2013. "She looks out for the meals, period": African American men's perceptions of how their wives influence their eating behavior and dietary health. Health Psychology 32(4):447-455. PMCID: PMC4374446.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Griffith, Derek , Ellis, K R. 2013. An intersectional approach to social determinants of stress for African American men: men's and women's perspectives. American Journal of Men's Health 7(4 suppl):19s-30s.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Griffith, Derek , Wooley, A M. 2013. "I'm ready to eat and grab whatever I can get": Determinants and patterns of African American men's eating practices. Health Promotion Practice 14(2):181-188.