Research interests are in language and reading development in monolingual and bilingual infants, children, and adults. Her work includes both typical and atypical language and reading development using a variety of behavioral and brain imaging methods (fMRI, fNIRS).
- Alisa Baron, Neelima Wagley, Xiaosu Hu, Ioulia Kovelman. 2023. Neural Correlates of Morphosyntactic Processing in Spanish-English Bilingual Children: A Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Study. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association 66(9):3500-3514.
- Michelle R. Y. Huo, Xin Sun, Ioulia Kovelman, Xi Chen. 2023. Literacy Development in East Asia. Global Variation in Literacy Development
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Marks, Rebecca A. 2019. Tracking qualitative changes in cognition and brain development through bilingualism. Journal of Neurolinguistics 49:255-257.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Kremin, Lena V, Arredondo, Maria M, Hsu, Lucy Shih-Ju, Satterfield, Teresa . 2019. The effects of Spanish heritage language literacy on English reading for Spanish-English bilingual children in the US. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 22(2):192-206.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Hsu, Lucy Shih-Ju, Ip, Ka I, Arredondo, Maria M, Tardif, Twila . 2019. Simultaneous acquisition of English and Chinese impacts children's reliance on vocabulary, morphological and phonological awareness for reading in English. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 22(2):207-223.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Brennan, Jonathan R, Lajiness-O'Neill, Renee , Bowyer, Susan , Hale, John T. 2019. Predictive sentence comprehension during story-listening in autism spectrum disorder. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience 34(4):428-439.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Arredondo, Maria M, Hu, Xiao-Su , Seifert, Erica , Satterfield, Teresa . 2019. Bilingual exposure enhances left IFG specialization for language in children. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 22(4):783-801.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Arredondo, Maria M, Hu, Xiao-Su , Satterfield, Teresa , Tsutsumi Riobóo, Akemi , Gelman, Susan A. 2019. Bilingual effects on lexical selection: A neurodevelopmental perspective. Brain and Language 195:104640.
- Kovelman, Ioulia, Marks, Rebecca A, Kepinska, Olga , Oliver, Myriam , Xia, Zhichao , Haft, Stephanie L, Zekelman, Leo , Duong, Priscilla , Uchikoshi, Yuuko , Hancock, Roeland , Hoeft, Fumiko . 2019. Spoken language proficiency predicts print-speech convergence in beginning readers. NeuroImage 201:116021.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela, Kovelman, Ioulia, Ellis, A , Hu, X , Smith, C E. 2018. Sharing as a model for understanding division. Neuroreport 29(11):889-893.