Kenneth M Langa
Dr. Langa is the Cyrus Sturgis Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and Institute for Social Research, a Research Scientist in the Veterans Affairs Center for Clinical Management Research, and an Associate Director of the Institute of Gerontology, all at the University of Michigan. He is also Associate Director of the Health and Retirement Study (HRS), and Principal Investigator of the Harmonized Cognitive Assessment Protocol (HCAP) Project, both funded by the National Institute on Aging.
Dr. Langa received an MD and PhD in Public Policy at the University of Chicago as a Fellow in the Pew Program for Medicine, Arts, and the Social Sciences. He is a General Internist with an active clinical practice treating adult patients, an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), and an elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Dr. Langa’s research focuses on the epidemiology and costs of chronic disease in older adults, with an emphasis on Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. He has published more than 300 peer-reviewed articles on these topics and is currently studying population trends in dementia prevalence, and the relationship of common cardiovascular risk factors, as well as acute illnesses such as sepsis and stroke, to cognitive decline and dementia. In 2007 and 2015, Dr. Langa was a Visiting Professor at the University of Cambridge, and in 2015 he was also a Visiting Professor at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, and the University of California-San Francisco, where he continued work on cross-national comparisons of the epidemiology and outcomes of dementia in the United States, England, and other countries around the world.
- Emma Nichols, Derek K. Ng, Shablina Hayat, Kenneth M Langa, Jinkook Lee, Andrew Steptoe, Jennifer A. Deal, Alden L. Gross. 2023. Differences in the measurement of cognition for the assessment of dementia across geographic contexts: Recommendations for cross-national research. Alzheimer's & Dementia 19(3):1009-1019.
- Ashly C. Westrick, Kenneth M Langa, Lindsay Kobayashi. 2023. The association of health behaviors prior to cancer diagnosis and functional aging trajectories after diagnosis: Longitudinal cohort study of middle-aged and older US cancer survivors. Preventive Medicine Reports 31:102083.
- Jinkook Lee, Erik Meijer, Kenneth M Langa, Mary Ganguli, Mathew Varghese, Joyita Banerjee, Pranali Khobragade, Marco Angrisani, Ravi Kurup, Sankha Shubhra Chakrabarti, Indrajeet Singh Gambhir, Parvaiz A. Koul, Debabrata Goswami, Arunanshu Talukdar, Rashmi Ranjan Mohanty, Raju Sathyanarayana Yadati, Mekala Padmaja, Lalit Sankhe, Chhaya Rajguru, Monica Gupta, Govind Kumar, Minakshi Dhar, Prasun Chatterjee, Sunny Singhal, Rishav Bansal, Swati Bajpai, Gaurav Desai, Abhijith R. Rao, Palanimuthu T. Sivakumar, Krishna Prasad Muliyala, Swaroop Bhatankar, Aparajita Chattopadhyay, Dipti Govil, Sarang Pedgaonkar, T. V. Sekher, David E. Bloom, Eileen M. Crimmins, Aparajit Ballav Dey. 2023. Prevalence of dementia in India: National and state estimates from a nationwide study. Alzheimer's & Dementia 19(7):2898-2912.
- Jinkook Lee, ..., Jennifer Ann Smith, Wei Zhao, Kenneth M Langa, et al.. 2023. Deep phenotyping and genomic data from a nationally representative study on dementia in India. Scientific Data 10:45.
- Emma Nichols, Derek K. Ng, Shabina Hayat, Kenneth M Langa, Jinkook Lee, Andrew Steptoe, Jennifer A. Deal, Alden L. Gross. 2023. Measurement differences in the assessment of functional limitations for cognitive impairment classification across geographic locations. Alzheimer's & Dementia
- Ike, John David, Hwajung Choi, Cho, Tsai-Chin, Howell, Joel D, Kenneth M Langa. 2023. Association of Arts Event Attendance with Cognitive Function Among Older Adults Enrolled in the Health and Retirement Study. Innovation in Aging 7(3)
- Emilie M. Blair, Bailey K. Reale, Darin B. Zahuranec, Jane Forman, Kenneth M Langa, Bruno J. Giordani, Brenda L. Plassman, Kathleen A. Welsh-Bohmer, Jing Wang, Colleen D. Kollman, Deborah A. Levine. 2023. Influence of mild cognitive impairment on patient and care partner decision-making for acute ischemic stroke. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 32(6):107068.
- Darina T. Bassil, Meagan T. Farrell, Albert Weerman, Muqi Guo, Ryan G. Wagner, Adam M. Brickman, M. Maria Glymour, Kenneth M Langa, Jennifer J. Manly, Brent Tipping, India Butler, Stephen Tollman, Lisa F. Berkman. 2023. Feasibility of an online consensus approach for the diagnosis of cognitive impairment and dementia in rural South Africa. Alzheimer's & Dementia: Diagnosis, Assessment & Disease Monitoring 15(2):e12420.
- Benjamin W Domingue, Ryan Jay McCammon, Brady Thomas West, Kenneth M Langa, David R Weir, Jessica Danielle Faul. 2023. The Mode Effect of Web-Based Surveying on the 2018 U.S. Health and Retirement Study Measure of Cognitive Functioning. Journals of Gerontology: Series B 78(9):1466-1473.
- Madelyn Malvitz, Darin B. Zahuranec, Wen Chang, Steven G Heeringa, Emily M. Briceño, Roshanak Mehdipanah, Xavier F. Gonzales, Deborah A. Levine, Kenneth M Langa, Nelda Garcia, Lewis B. Morgenstern. 2023. Driving predictors in a cohort of cognitively impaired Mexican American and non-Hispanic White individuals. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society