Libby Hemphill directs the Resource Center for Minority Data at ICPSR and holds a joint appointment as an Associate Professor in the UM School of Information. She joined ICPSR in September 2017 from Illinois Institute of Technology where she was an Associate Professor of Communication and Information Studies. She studies politicians, non-profit organizations, and television fans to understand how people use social media to organize, discuss, and enact social change. She also develops automated mechanisms for moderating and classifying content in social media in order to reduce toxicity in online conversations. Hemphill received a Ph.D. and M.S. in Information from the University of Michigan and an A.B. from The University of Chicago.
- Gao, Zhenxiang, Li, Lingyao, Ma, Siyuan, Wang, Qinyong, Libby Hemphill, Xu, Rong. 2023. Examining the Potential of ChatGPT on Biomedical Information Retrieval: Fact-Checking Drug-Disease Associations. Annals of Biomedical Engineering
- Libby Hemphill, Angela Schöpke-Gonzalez, Panda, Anmol. 2022. Comparative sensitivity of social media data and their acceptable use in research. Scientific Data 9:643.
- Angela M. Schöpke-Gonzalez, Shubham Atreja, Han Na Shin, Najmin Ahmed, Libby Hemphill. 2022. Why do volunteer content moderators quit? Burnout, conflict, and harmful behaviors. New Media & Society
- Hemphill, Libby, Shapiro, Matthew D. 2019. Appealing to the base or to the moveable middle? Incumbents' partisan messaging before the 2016 U.S. congressional elections. Journal of Information Technology & Politics 16(4):325-341.
- Hemphill, Libby, Kocurek, Carly , Rao, Xi . 2017. Approaches to understanding identity. The Routledge Companion to Media Fandom
- Hemphill, Libby, Wohn, Donghee Yvette, Fiesler, Casey , De Choudhury, Munmun , Matias, J Nathan. 2017. How to Handle Online Risks?: Discussing Content Curation and Moderation in Social Media. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems :1271-1276.
- Shapiro, Matthew D, Hemphill, Libby. 2017. Politicians and the Policy Agenda: Does Use of Twitter by the U.S. Congress Direct New York Times Content?. Policy & Internet 9(1):109-132.
- Hemphill, Libby, Goggins, Sean , Germonprez, Matt , Million, A J, Halfaker, Aaron . 2017. Advancing the OCDX: Building Social Computing Infrastructure. Companion of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing :421-424.
- Hemphill, Libby, Rao, Xi , Guberman, Joshua . 2017. Comparing Formal and Informal NPOs' Use of Facebook and Twitter. Companion of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing :287-290.
- Hemphill, Libby, Guberman, Joshua . 2017. Challenges in Modifying Existing Scales for Detecting Harassment in Individual Tweets. Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences