Linda Chatters She-Her
Major focus of research has been the study of aging as it relates to a variety of social contexts (i.e., the family, church and community), the nature of personal and social relationships (i.e., adult children, church members, kin vs. non-kin) and individual outcomes (i.e., social support, subjective well-being, and perceptions of health status). A particular emphasis of her work has been on the investigation of adult development and aging among the black population using data from a national probability sample of black adults (National Survey of Black Americans). Dr. Chatters holds joint appointments in the School of Public Health (Health Behavior and Health Education) and the School of Social Work. She is co-author (with Robert Joseph Taylor and Jeff Levin) of “Religion in the Lives of African Americans: Social, Psychological and Health Perspectives” (Sage Publications). Dr. Chatters is a Fellow of The Gerontological Society of America, Behavioral and Social Sciences Section and has also recently been designated by Thomson-ISI® as a Highly Cited Researcher™ in the Category of General Social Sciences.
- Katrina R Ellis, Ann W. Nguyen, Emily K Miller, Yuanjin Zhou, Linda Chatters She-Her. 2023. Advancing Family-Focused Health Equity: Reconceptualizing Family in Social Work Research and Practice. 14(3):579-589.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Taylor, Harry O. 2019. Race and Objective Social Isolation: Older African Americans, Black Caribbeans, and Non-Hispanic Whites. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Hope, Meredith O, Nguyen, Ann W. 2019. Church Support among African American and Black Caribbean Adolescents. Journal of Child and Family Studies
- Allen, Julie Ober, Watkins, Daphne C, Chatters, Linda M, Geronimus, Arline T, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2019. Cortisol and Racial Health Disparities Affecting Black Men in Later Life: Evidence From MIDUS II. American Journal of Men's Health 13(4):1557988319870969.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Forsythe-Brown, Ivy , Mouzon, Dawne M, Keith, Verna M, Chae, David H. 2019. Prevalence and correlates of everyday discrimination among black Caribbeans in the United States: the impact of nativity and country of origin. Ethnicity & Health 24(5):463-483.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Nguyen, Ann W, Hope, Meredith O. 2019. Church support networks of African Americans: The impact of gender and religious involvement. Journal of Community Psychology 47(5):1043-1063.
- Chatters, Linda M, Taggart, Tamara , Powell, Wizdom , Gottfredson, Nisha , Ennett, Susan , Eng, Eugenia . 2019. A Person-Centered Approach to the Study of Black Adolescent Religiosity, Racial Identity, and Sexual Initiation. Journal of Research on Adolescence 29(2):402-413.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Mouzon, Dawne M, Nguyen, Ann W, Ifatunji, Mosi Adesina. 2019. Everyday Discrimination Typologies Among Older African Americans: Gender and Socioeconomic Status. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Chatters, Linda M, Taylor, Robert J, Nguyen, Ann W, Hope, Meredith O. 2018. Church and family support networks and depressive symptoms among African Americans: Findings from The National Survey of American Life. Journal of Community Psychology 46(4):403-417.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Cross, Christina J. 2018. Ethnic and Gender Differences in Family Social Support among Black Adolescents. Healthcare 6(1):20.