Megan E Patrick
Megan Patrick’s published research focuses on the development of substance use and consequences across the lifespan. Her interests include motivations for substance use, the prevention of health risk behaviors, statistical methods for modeling behavior and behavior change, and mobile and web-based survey methodology. She has been the PI of 10 NIH-funded projects and Co-Investigator on many others. She is the Principal Investigator of the Monitoring the Future Panel Study, which is a national study following participants from ages 18 to 65 since the mid-1970s. Her other current NIH-funded R01 projects focus on high-intensity drinking, simultaneous alcohol and marijuana use, and adaptive interventions to reduce consequences of young adult substance use.
- Megan E Patrick, Sarah Peterson, Yvonne M Terry-McElrath, Shanna Elaine Rogan, Solberg, Marvin A.. 2024. Trends in coping reasons for marijuana use among U.S. adolescents from 2016 to 2022. Addictive Behaviors 148:107845.
- Stephanie Marita Carpenter, Jamie Roslyn Yap, Megan E Patrick, Nicole Morrell, John Dziak, Daniel Almirall, Carolyn Yoon, Inbal Nahum-Shani. 2023. Self-relevant appeals to engage in self-monitoring of alcohol use: A microrandomized trial. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 37(3):434-446.
- Randall C. Swaim, Linda R. Stanley, Richard Allen Miech, Megan E Patrick, Meghan A. Crabtree, Mark A. Prince. 2023. A Comparison of COVID-19 Outcomes Between Reservation-Area American Indian and U.S. National Students. AJPM Focus 2(1):100046.
- Walukevich-Dienst, Katherine, Calhoun, Brian H., Fairlie, Anne M., Cadigan, Jennifer M., Megan E Patrick, Lee, Christine M.. 2023. Using substances to cope with social anxiety: Associations with use and consequences in daily life. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 37(4):581-591.
- Megan E Patrick, Yuk Pang, Bohyun Joy Jang, Brooke Arterberry, Yvonne M Terry-McElrath. 2023. Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Reported during Midlife: Results from the Monitoring the Future Study among US Adults at Modal Ages 50, 55, and 60. Substance Use & Misuse 58(3):380-388.
- Megan E Patrick, Yvonne M Terry-McElrath, Sarah Peterson, Kira S Birditt. 2023. Age- and Sex-Varying Associations Between Depressive Symptoms and Substance Use from Modal Ages 35 to 55 in a National Sample of U.S. Adults. Prevention Science 24:852-862.
- Megan E Patrick, Rebecca Evans-Polce, Brooke Arterberry, Yvonne M Terry-McElrath. 2023. Initiation of and Escalation to High-Intensity Drinking in Young Adults. JAMA Pediatrics 177(3):286-293.
- Justin Jager, Katherine M. Keyes, Daye Son, Megan E Patrick, Jonathan Platt, John E Schulenberg. 2023. Age 18-30 trajectories of binge drinking frequency and prevalence across the past 30 years for men and women: Delineating when and why historical trends reversed across age. Development and Psychopathology 35(3):1308-1322.
- Jennifer C. Duckworth, Scott Graupensperger, Nicole R. Schultz, Michael S. Gibson, Anne M. Fairlie, Megan E Patrick, Christine M. Lee. 2023. Alcohol and marijuana use predicting next-day absenteeism and engagement at school and work: A daily study of young adults. Addictive Behaviors 142
- Megan E Patrick, Peter N Sparks, Dana Mowls Carroll, Colter Mitchell. 2023. Feasibility of mailed biomarker data collection among U.S. young adults: Saliva-based cotinine and self-reported nicotine use. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 244:109791.