Richard Allen Miech
Dr. Miech is a co-Investigator of the NIDA-funded Monitoring the Future study. He received his Ph.D. degree in Sociology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a MPH degree from Johns Hopkins University. His work focuses on trends in substance use, with an emphasis on disentangling how these trends vary by age, historical period, and birth cohort membership. Other research interests include identification of the factors that widen or narrow disparities in substance use over historical time, as well as the causes and consequences of substance use over the life course.
- Richard Allen Miech, Adam M Leventhal, Lloyd D Johnston. 2023. Recent, national trends in US adolescent use of menthol and non-menthol cigarettes. Tobacco Control 32:e10-e15.
- Randall C. Swaim, Linda R. Stanley, Richard Allen Miech, Megan E Patrick, Meghan A. Crabtree, Mark A. Prince. 2023. A Comparison of COVID-19 Outcomes Between Reservation-Area American Indian and U.S. National Students. AJPM Focus 2(1):100046.
- Richard Allen Miech, Megan E Patrick, Keyes, Katherine. 2023. Declines in Adolescent Substance Use After the COVID-19 Pandemic Onset: The Role of Initiation in Grades 7 and 9. Journal of Adolescent Health
- Lloyd D Johnston, Richard Allen Miech, Megan E Patrick, Patrick M O'Malley, John E Schulenberg, Jerald G Bachman. 2023. Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use 1975-2022: Overview, key findings on adolescent drug use.
- Megan E Patrick, Richard Allen Miech, Lloyd D Johnston, Patrick M O'Malley. 2023. Monitoring the Future Panel Study annual report: National data on substance use among adults ages 19 to 60, 1976-2022.
- Richard Allen Miech, Lloyd D Johnston, Megan E Patrick, Patrick M O'Malley, Jerald G Bachman, John E Schulenberg. 2023. Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use, 1975-2022: Secondary school students.
- Briana E. Oliver, Sherry Everett Jones, Emily Devora Hops, Carmen L. Ashley, Richard Allen Miech, Jonetta J. Mpofu. 2023. Electronic Vapor Product Use Among High School Students — Youth Risk Behavior Survey, United States, 2021. MMWR Supplements 72(1):93-99.
- Johnston,Lloyd D, Miech,Richard Allen, O’Malley,Patrick M, Bachman,Jerald G, Schulenberg,John E, Megan Patrick. 2022. Monitoring the Future: National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975-2021. 2021 Overview: Key Findings on Adolescent Drug Use.
- Megan Patrick, Terry-McElrath,Yvonne M, Miech,Richard Allen, Katherine M. Keyes, Justin Jager, Schulenberg,John E. 2022. Alcohol use and the COVID-19 pandemic: Historical trends in drinking, contexts, and reasons for use among U.S. adults. Social Science & Medicine 301:114887.
- Miech,Richard Allen, Adam M. Leventhal, O’Malley,Patrick M, Johnston,Lloyd D, Jessica L. Barrington-Trimis. 2022. Failed Attempts to Quit Combustible Cigarettes and e-Cigarettes Among US Adolescents. JAMA 327(12):1179-1181.