Christopher Stephen Monk
Christopher Monk uses behavioral and neuroimaging methods to examine affective and cognitive processing during adolescent development. In particular, his research focuses on how behavioral and brain-based responses vary with age in normally developing youth as well as those with or at risk for psychopathology, such as anxiety, depression and autism. The ultimate goal of this research program is to better understand why some adolescents effectively navigate their socio-emotional environments, while others struggle and a subset experience the first onset of long-term mental disorders.
- Guzman, Jose M., Boone, Montana H., Suarez, Gabriela L., Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde, Lopez-Duran, Nestor L.. 2024. Relationship between COVID-related stressors and internalizing symptoms: Gendered neuroendocrine risk profiles. Psychoneuroendocrinology 159:106668.
- Laura Murray, Nestor L. Lopez-Duran, Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde. 2023. Antisocial behavior is associated with reduced frontoparietal activity to loss in a population-based sample of adolescents. Psychological Medicine 53(8):3652-3660.
- Tillem, Scott, Dotterer, Hailey L, Goetschius, Leigh G, Lopez-Duran, Nestor, Colter Mitchell, Christopher Stephen Monk, Luke Williamson Hyde. 2023. Antisocial behavior is associated with reduced frontoparietal network efficiency in youth. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 18(1):nsad026.
- Hardi, Felicia A., Goetschius, Leigh G., Tillem, Scott, McLoyd, Vonnie, Brooks-Gunn, Jeanne, Boone, Montana, Lopez-Duran, Nestor, Colter Mitchell, Luke Williamson Hyde, Christopher Stephen Monk. 2023. Early childhood household instability, adolescent structural neural network architecture, and young adulthood depression: A 21-year longitudinal study. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 61:101253.
- Christopher Stephen Monk, Felicia A. Hardi. 2023. Poverty, Brain Development, and Mental Health: Progress, Challenges, and Paths Forward. Annual Reviews 5
- Emily Bilek, Rachel C. Tomlinson, Andrew S. Whiteman, Timothy D. Johnson, Chelsea Benedict, K. Luan Phan, Monk,Christopher Stephen, Kate D. Fitzgerald. 2022. Exposure-Focused CBT Outperforms Relaxation-Based Control in an RCT of Treatment for Child and Adolescent Anxiety. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 51(4):410-418.
- Arianna M. Gard, Tyler C. Hein, Colter Mitchell, Jeanne Brooks-Gunn, Sarah S. McLanahan, Monk,Christopher Stephen, Luke W. Hyde. 2022. Prospective longitudinal associations between harsh parenting and corticolimbic function during adolescence. Development and Psychopathology 34(3):981-996.
- Isaac Ray Christian, Michael T. Liuzzi, Qiongru Yu, Maria Kryza-Lacombe, Monk,Christopher Stephen, Johanna Jarcho, Jillian Lee Wiggins. 2022. Context-dependent amygdala-prefrontal connectivity in youths with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 91:101913.
- Julianna R. Calabrese, Leigh G. Goetschius, Laura Murray, Megan R. Kaplan, Nestor Lopez-Duran, Colter Mitchell, Luke Hyde, Monk,Christopher Stephen. 2022. Mapping Frontostriatal White Matter Tracts and their Association with Reward-Related Ventral Striatum Activation in Adolescence. Brain Research :147803.
- Andrea G. Roberts, Melissa K. Peckins, Arianna M. Gard, Tyler C. Hein, Felicia A. Hardi, Colter Mitchell, Monk,Christopher Stephen, Luke Hyde, Nestor Lopez-Duran. 2022. Amygdala reactivity during socioemotional processing and cortisol reactivity to a psychosocial stressor. Psychoneuroendocrinology 144:105855.